What Angle Will a Hydrogen Spectral Line Appear in 2nd Order?

In summary, Homework Equations state that d(sinθ)=mλ if θ is 20.5 degrees and m is 1. So λ/d can be found. With the given information, θ can be found with sin20.5=q.
smaan

Homework Statement

Hello,

I have a question regarding hydrogen spectral emission.

A hydrogen source is viewed with a grating spectrometer, one spectral lines occurs at 20.5 degrees in the 1st order. What angle will this line appear in 2nd order (viewed through same spectrometer)

a) cannot find this angle without ruling spacing of grating
b) cannot find this angle without wavelength of spectral line
c) it IS possible to find this angle with the given info

Please help!

Homework Equations

d(sinθ)=mλ

The Attempt at a Solution

When I think about this, do we not need the ruling spacing to find the wavelength? From there, can we not find the 2nd order angle? The problem is, there is no option for A and B. And that's assuming I'm on the right track.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is the equation d(sinθ)=mλ, and given that θ=20.5 degrees when m=1. Can you find λ/d?
The question is the angle when m=2. Do you need anything else but λ/d?

ehild

ehild said:
There is the equation d(sinθ)=mλ, and given that θ=20.5 degrees when m=1. Can you find λ/d?
The question is the angle when m=2. Do you need anything else but λ/d?

ehild

d is the space between the grating, correct? And λ is the wavelength. I don't have either. Just an angle for m=1. Still confused, but thank you for the reply.

Why this confusion? You don't have either, but you do have the ratio ! And what do you really need ? Aha!

Likes 1 person
So in my case the angle appearing at the 2nd order will be 41.0 degrees? Is that correct?

No. Just try to imagine where the fifth order would end up!

No that's corny. You have an equation for this ##\theta##. Solve it.

Likes 1 person
Yes, it would be over 90°, makes no sense. Which leads me to believe I need grating. So would my answer be

a) cannot find this angle without ruling spacing of grating

?

No. It's just that if ##\sin \theta = q##, that doesn't mean that ## \sin 2\theta = 2q##.
You have q from the 20.5 ##^\circ##, now find ##\theta_2##!

Likes 1 person
sinθ = q
sin20.5 = q
0.350207 = q

0.350207*2 = 0.700415

sin^-1(0.700415) = 44.5°

Is that correct?

By the way, thank you for all you're help, BvU. I appreciate you're time.

I had the same answer... So either it's right or we are both wrong.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for all the thanks, but, really, once is more than adequate...

Related to What Angle Will a Hydrogen Spectral Line Appear in 2nd Order?

1. What is the hydrogen spectrum?

The hydrogen spectrum refers to the pattern of light emitted or absorbed by hydrogen atoms when they undergo transitions between different energy levels.

2. How is the hydrogen spectrum produced?

The hydrogen spectrum is produced when energy is applied to hydrogen atoms, causing the electrons to jump from lower energy levels to higher ones. As the electrons return to their original energy levels, they emit light at specific wavelengths, creating the characteristic spectral lines.

3. What is the significance of the hydrogen spectrum?

The hydrogen spectrum is significant because it provides evidence for the existence of discrete energy levels in atoms, supporting the atomic model proposed by Niels Bohr. It also serves as a tool for identifying elements and their energy levels in various environments, such as stars and galaxies.

4. How is the hydrogen spectrum used in scientific research?

The hydrogen spectrum is used in a variety of scientific research, including astrophysics, spectroscopy, and quantum mechanics. It can be used to study the properties of atoms and molecules, identify elements in distant objects, and understand the behavior of particles at the atomic level.

5. How has our understanding of the hydrogen spectrum evolved over time?

Our understanding of the hydrogen spectrum has evolved significantly over time. Initially, it was thought that all elements had a unique spectrum, but it was later discovered that the hydrogen spectrum could be reproduced by other elements under certain conditions. This led to the development of the quantum theory, which provided a more comprehensive explanation for the hydrogen spectrum and the behavior of atoms.