Hydrostatic pressure on a teapot spout

In summary, the conversation discusses the "teapot effect", where water flows on the outside of a teapot spout due to a difference in pressure between the water and the atmosphere. Points A and D are at atmospheric pressure, while point B is higher due to Pascal's Law. Point C is lower than D, but the reason for this is unclear. One theory suggests that it is due to the pressure difference supporting the water against gravity, but this is considered a naive solution. It is also mentioned that the velocity of fluids can affect pressure.
ShizukaSm

Homework Statement

First of all I apologize, the question is originally in my mother language, so I will do my best to translate it. I apologize if I commit any mistakes, and feel free to tell me if something is unclear.

The phenomenom where water flows on the outside side of a teapot spout is named "The teapot effect", and occurs due to a difference in pressure between water and the atmosphere. Consider the image of a teapot spout and order in an ascending order the pressures of points A, B, C and D.
Teapot.PNG

("Bico" means "Spout", and "Água" means "Water")

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been kind of lost in this question due to different theories, so I'm going to arrange them into statements to make it more organized:

1)(This doesn't alter the answer, but I wanted to know if it's correct)The whole stream of water has a lower pressure (if compared to atmospheric) because it has a certain velocity, and fluids with velocity have lower pressure;

2)A and D must be atmospheric pressure, since they're both in direct contact with air;

3)B must be higher than both because of Pascal's Law;

4)C must be lower than D, but I don't have a clue why this is true. I'm assuming that because it must be the pressure difference that supports water against gravity (considering that I'm right about D being atm pressure), but that is kind of "doing the problem in reverse", what would the real reason be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, maybe this is a naive solution to the problem, but let me try: a is at atmospheric pressure, due contact to air, b is higher to Pascal's law. C and d are at lower positions, so they must have less potential due to gravity, and by energy conservation, have higher velocities. So, must have lower pressures, but, d must be greater than c because both Pascal's law and atmosphere contact.

FAQ: Hydrostatic pressure on a teapot spout

1. What is hydrostatic pressure?

Hydrostatic pressure is the pressure exerted by a fluid at rest, due to the weight of the fluid above it.

2. How does hydrostatic pressure affect a teapot spout?

Hydrostatic pressure on a teapot spout is caused by the weight of the liquid inside the teapot. This pressure can cause the spout to drip or leak, especially if the spout is not properly designed to withstand the pressure.

3. Can hydrostatic pressure cause damage to a teapot spout?

Yes, hydrostatic pressure can cause damage to a teapot spout if it is not designed to withstand the pressure. This can result in cracks or leaks in the spout.

4. How can the effects of hydrostatic pressure be reduced on a teapot spout?

To reduce the effects of hydrostatic pressure on a teapot spout, it is important to design the spout to be able to withstand the pressure. This can be done by using thicker and stronger materials, or by incorporating features such as a curved or tapered design to help distribute the pressure more evenly.

5. Are there any other factors that can contribute to hydrostatic pressure on a teapot spout?

Aside from the weight of the liquid inside the teapot, other factors that can contribute to hydrostatic pressure on a teapot spout include the height of the teapot, the shape and size of the spout, and the material and thickness of the spout.

Back