1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrostatic pressure on a teapot spout

1. Apr 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

First of all I apologize, the question is originally in my mother language, so I will do my best to translate it. I apologize if I commit any mistakes, and feel free to tell me if something is unclear.

The phenomenom where water flows on the outside side of a teapot spout is named "The teapot effect", and occurs due to a difference in pressure between water and the atmosphere. Consider the image of a teapot spout and order in an ascending order the pressures of points A, B, C and D.
    Teapot.PNG
    ("Bico" means "Spout", and "Água" means "Water")

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've been kind of lost in this question due to different theories, so I'm going to arrange them into statements to make it more organized:

1)(This doesn't alter the answer, but I wanted to know if it's correct)The whole stream of water has a lower pressure (if compared to atmospheric) because it has a certain velocity, and fluids with velocity have lower pressure;

2)A and D must be atmospheric pressure, since they're both in direct contact with air;

3)B must be higher than both because of Pascal's Law;

4)C must be lower than D, but I don't have a clue why this is true. I'm assuming that because it must be the pressure difference that supports water against gravity (considering that I'm right about D being atm pressure), but that is kind of "doing the problem in reverse", what would the real reason be?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2014 #2
    Well, maybe this is a naive solution to the problem, but let me try: a is at atmospheric pressure, due contact to air, b is higher to Pascal's law. C and d are at lower positions, so they must have less potential due to gravity, and by energy conservation, have higher velocities. So, must have lower pressures, but, d must be greater than c because both Pascal's law and atmosphere contact.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted