How Can I Calculate the Head Increase of a Rotating Object Underwater?

• Thread starter arjal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Head Time
In summary, an underwater jacket is rotating from a horizontal to vertical position and has a greater hydrostatic head at the vertical position. The head increase over time can be calculated by multiplying the initial head by the initial flow rate.
arjal

Homework Statement

Hi all I have an object (which has valves attached) underwater which rotates from a starting point of 17 degrees to 0 , as the object rotates the hydrostatic head on the valves increases over time.

how can I calculate the head increase over a time period (per 10 seconds) until I reach 0 degree final angle ?

initial angle = 17 deg
final angle = 0 deg
initial head = 100m
initial flow rate = 2.7 m3/s per 10 seconds ( at 100m head)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Not my field but I think we are going to need more info and probably a diagram.

For example if the object is very small then turning it by any angle won't increase the depth of any part relative to any other by very much. So the pressure on any part isn't going to change much.

hydrostatic head and time

hey this is an underwater offshore jacket which will be rotated to a vertical position so a heavy item !

the jacket legs are ballasted with water so as its ballasted the jacket rotates, hence the head is changing as it gets to a vertical position.

As its being ballasted the valves move towards the bottom hence a greater hydrostatic head.

Like CW said, a diagram would be quite helpful to us in visualizing your problem. A jacket is a complicated structure.

What are the references for your angles? Is an angle of zero degrees horizontal? Vertical?
What are the dimensions of your jacket? I think that would affect the answer.
What water depth is the jacket designed to be installed in?
Where on the jacket are your valves installed?

You can see that the information provided is insufficient for us to help you.

ok unfortunately I don't have a drawing atm, but I can simplify the problem.

If you have an object lying at sea at 90 degrees horizontal this then rotates until it reaches vertical i.e. 180 degrees

I need to calculate how long it takes to get to 180 degrees say incrementally every 10 seconds. The object is 140m long and is ballasted at a rate of 2.3 m3/s (per 10 seconds).

Thanks

I need to calculate how long it takes to get to 180 degrees

That's a much harder problem (too hard for me). The speed at which it rotates will depend on things like the drag forces as it moves through the water.

A lot more information is needed. Dimensions of the jacket, the weight of the jacket (empty), location of the c.g. of the jacket (empty), sizes and locations of the ballast tanks, ...

I don't know if this is some school project or if someone wants to determine the response of a real structure, but the ballast rate is not enough information by far to even estimate how long it would take to upend the jacket.

I would recommend that you consult a naval architect who is experienced in working with offshore structures.
Be prepared to furnish a lot of information for him to review.

Related to How Can I Calculate the Head Increase of a Rotating Object Underwater?

1. What is the definition of hydrostatic head?

Hydrostatic head refers to the pressure exerted by a fluid at a specific depth. It is measured in units of length, such as meters or feet, and is calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid by the acceleration due to gravity and the depth of the fluid.

2. How does hydrostatic head affect the stability of structures?

Hydrostatic head can exert significant force on structures, especially if the fluid is deep or dense. This force can cause instability and potentially lead to structural failure if not properly accounted for in design and construction.

3. What is the relationship between hydrostatic head and time?

The hydrostatic head of a fluid can change over time due to factors such as temperature, evaporation, and inflow/outflow of the fluid. As the hydrostatic head changes, the pressure exerted by the fluid will also change, which can impact the stability and function of structures.

4. How is hydrostatic head measured?

Hydrostatic head can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as pressure gauges or piezometers. These devices measure the pressure exerted by the fluid at a specific depth, which can then be used to calculate the hydrostatic head.

5. What are some real-world applications of hydrostatic head?

Hydrostatic head is an important concept in various fields, including engineering, geology, and oceanography. It is used to understand the behavior of fluids in pipes and tanks, to determine the stability of dams and other structures, and to study the movement of water in natural systems such as rivers and oceans.