1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hyperbolic PDE, Cauchy-type problem

1. Mar 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the equation
    [itex]4y^2u_{xx} + 2(1-y^2)u_{xy} - u_{yy} - \frac{2y}{1+y^2} (2u_x - u_y) = 0[/itex]

Find the solution [itex]u(x,y)[/itex] which satisfies [itex]u(x,0) = g(x)[/itex], and [itex]u_y(x,0) = f(x)[/itex], where [itex]f, g \in \mathcal{C}^2(\mathbb{R})[/itex] are arbitrary functions.

2. Relevant equations

I used the discriminant method to show that this PDE can be categorized as hyperbolic. I found that the characteristics are [itex]s= - \frac{2}{3}y^3 +x[/itex] and [itex]t = 2y + x[/itex]. I know the general solution is the form [itex]u(x,y) = F( - \frac{2}{3}y^3 +x) + G(2y + x)[/itex]. (Depending on algebra of finding the characteristics, this may be stated in a different way.)

3. The attempt at a solution

There are other problems I have done without such abstract conditions, so I followed the general solution style I have been using. NAMELY:

Find [itex]u_y[/itex]: [itex]-2y^2 F'( - \frac{2}{3}y^3 +x) + 2G'(2y+x)[/itex]. Then, look at the initial values.

[itex]u(x,0) = F(x) + G(x) = g(x)[/itex]
    [itex]u_y (x,0) = 0 + 2 G'(x) = f(x)[/itex]

Since [itex]u_y[/itex] has already isolated one of the general functions, I work with it. I integrate with respect to [itex]x[/itex]. Ultimately, I get

[itex]G(x) = \frac{1}{2} \int f(x) \; dx [/itex]

Solving for [itex]F(x)[/itex] with this information, I get

[itex]F(x) = g(x) - \frac{1}{2} \int f(x) \; dx [/itex]

At this point I've reached a "SO WHAT?" stage. In the previous problems, the function was simply a multiplication factor that was easy to manipulate. I found the multiplication factor and then I multiplied the original information by it to get a [itex]u(x,y)[/itex].

I feel that I should calculate:
    [itex]F(-\frac{2}{3} y^3 + x) = g(-\frac{2}{3} y^3 + x) + \frac{1}{2} \int -\frac{2}{3} y^3 + x \; d(-\frac{2}{3} y^3 + x)[/itex]
    [itex]G(2y+x) = \frac{1}{2} \int 2y + x \; d(2y + x)[/itex]

Yet, I feel like this is going to get me nowhere.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?