Hypersonic aircraft shock layer color

In summary: Hayabusa reentry at 12 km/s was a bit of extreme speed (ISS return is at 8 km/s and Moon return is at 11 km/s). Therefore, more bluish reentry colors on photo i inserted. Also, windows of manned spacecraft are always pointed diagonally rearward, wherefore you cannot see hottest part of reentry glow from spacecraft (actually if you will see 8000K blackbody glow from inside of spacecraft , the occupants will fry in seconds even if window will not fail).In summary, according to black body radiation, it is possible for a spacecraft to glow in a range of colors including blue when it goes hypersonic or orbital velocities in the atmosphere
Xforce
TL;DR Summary
Do you ever wonder the Mach wave, shock layer or whatever you call it... of a hypersonic aircraft or a spacecraft at re-entry are always red, and yellow or white at hotter regions? What happens if they gets faster and hotter?
As a lot of people know, when things go hypersonic or even orbital velocities in the atmosphere, it’s going to get hot, scorching hot. The air emits black body radiation that are at the red spectrum (around 2000 to 3000 kelvins) sometimes goes yellow (5000-8000 kelvins maybe?) at re-entry spacecraft s. But according to black body radiation, there is more to go.
When a aircraft (I call anything that fly in the atmosphere “aircraft”) goes sufficiently fast, and without melting, can the shock layer becomes so hot that it actually glows green, or even a brilliant blue? I mean the light by black body radiation, not by ionisation. Furthermore, does this got something to do with the atmosphere composition (aka spectrum of oxygen and nitrogen atoms)

Attachments

• 662BB0C9-9139-4CF9-8A7C-C19F4CFC2B91.png
    662BB0C9-9139-4CF9-8A7C-C19F4CFC2B91.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 297
Physics news on Phys.org
The color of very hot (reentry) shocks may be white, blue or even violet (although violet is possible to view only on panchromatic photos, not visually, because human eye is not very sensitive to violet). Green is possible due ablative carbon flourescence in hydrogen/helium atmospheres only (this is largely speculative - nobody yet got a good photos of gas giant reentries).
Photo below is the Hayabusa spacecraft reentry on Earth at 12 km/s.
463116main_ACD10-0109-006 .jpg

Likes berkeman
I also seen pictures and videos of similar things... like in the fairings of a falcon 9 rocket but they are seemingly to be caused by the ionization of air.
And... is that spacecraft undergoing a rapid unscheduled disassembly?
What is the estimated temperature of the blue shock?

Xforce said:
I also seen pictures and videos of similar things... like in the fairings of a falcon 9 rocket but they are seemingly to be caused by the ionization of air.
And... is that spacecraft undergoing a rapid unscheduled disassembly?
What is the estimated temperature of the blue shock?
It was a rapid scheduled disasembly. Spacecraft have just jettisoned reentry capsule and was burning the rest of chassis. Hottest temperatures on that photo (for violet-halo) was at least ~12,000 K, and about ~8,000 K for blue halo, assuming panchromatic camera. May be even more if camera is color-corrected.

trurle said:
It was a rapid scheduled disasembly. Spacecraft have just jettisoned reentry capsule and was burning the rest of chassis. Hottest temperatures on that photo (for violet-halo) was at least ~12,000 K, and about ~8,000 K for blue halo, assuming panchromatic camera. May be even more if camera is color-corrected.
So, for a re-entry capsule, in order to survive the re-entry, usually go at lower speeds? I heard a lot of astronauts saying they saw things glowing white and yellow outside the window, not blue and purple.
And,I think this phenomenon also occur at low altitudes as well, if you manage to achieve this by a hypersonic aircraft that flies at low altitudes, or launch a hyper-velocity projectile with a coilgun?
trurle said:
Green is possible due ablative carbon flourescence in hydrogen/helium atmospheres only (this is largely speculative - nobody yet got a good photos of gas giant reentries).
Probably the Cassini–Huygens spacecraft did this to Saturn. And as you said, this got something to do with the spectrum of air

Xforce said:
So, for a re-entry capsule, in order to survive the re-entry, usually go at lower speeds? I heard a lot of astronauts saying they saw things glowing white and yellow outside the window, not blue and purple.
And,I think this phenomenon also occur at low altitudes as well, if you manage to achieve this by a hypersonic aircraft that flies at low altitudes, or launch a hyper-velocity projectile with a coilgun?

Probably the Cassini–Huygens spacecraft did this to Saturn. And as you said, this got something to do with the spectrum of air
Hayabusa reentry at 12 km/s was a bit of extreme speed (ISS return is at 8 km/s and Moon return is at 11 km/s). Therefore, more bluish reentry colors on photo i inserted. Also, windows of manned spacecraft are always pointed diagonally rearward, wherefore you cannot see hottest part of reentry glow from spacecraft (actually if you will see 8000K blackbody glow from inside of spacecraft , the occupants will fry in seconds even if window will not fail).

Regarding ET guns, coilguns and railguns, these are mostly limited to 4 km/s with current technology. Light-gas guns had up to 8.5km/s in tests.

1. What causes the shock layer color on hypersonic aircraft?

The shock layer color on hypersonic aircraft is caused by the intense heating and compression of the air as it flows around the aircraft at high speeds. This causes the air molecules to ionize and emit light, creating the characteristic glow or color of the shock layer.

2. How does the shock layer color change with different speeds and altitudes?

The shock layer color can vary depending on the speed and altitude of the hypersonic aircraft. At lower speeds and altitudes, the shock layer may appear as a faint blue or purple color. As the speed and altitude increase, the shock layer color can shift to a brighter blue or white color. At extremely high speeds and altitudes, the shock layer can even appear as a bright orange or red color.

3. Can the shock layer color be used to determine the speed or altitude of a hypersonic aircraft?

No, the shock layer color alone cannot accurately determine the speed or altitude of a hypersonic aircraft. The color can be influenced by other factors such as the composition of the air and the angle of the aircraft, making it an unreliable indicator of speed or altitude.

4. Are there any safety concerns related to the shock layer color on hypersonic aircraft?

There are no safety concerns directly related to the shock layer color on hypersonic aircraft. However, the intense heating and compression that causes the shock layer can also generate high levels of heat and pressure on the aircraft's exterior, which can pose a risk to the aircraft's structural integrity.

5. How does the shock layer color affect the performance of hypersonic aircraft?

The shock layer color does not have a significant impact on the performance of hypersonic aircraft. However, the heating and compression of the air in the shock layer can create drag and reduce the efficiency of the aircraft's engines, which can affect its overall performance.