Hypersphere Volume - Fractional Dimensions

In summary, The conversation discusses how to generalize the derivation of hypersphere volume for fractional dimensions. One person suggests using a continuous function and another mentions a possible discontinuity. They suggest plotting the volume versus n to see what happens.
Old Guy

Homework Statement

I've completed the derivation of the hypersphere volume for integer dimensions, and my solution matches what's on Wikipedia. How can I generalize it to fractional dimensions?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not a clue; my only guess at this point is that the multidimensional "radius", which is a sum for integer dimensions, certainly becomes an integral, but how?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wikipedia's entry on n-sphere's says that you can use the same formula because it is a continuous function up until [itex]n\sim5.26[/itex]. Beyond this value, I cannot say what the generalization would be.

Hope this helps.

Well, I read that, but I don't really see what makes it so. I (sort of) followed the argument about why that produces the maximum volume, but what happens there? If it's some kind of discontinuity, what causes it?

I don't know what causes the discontinuity, perhaps you can plot the volume versus n and see what happens around then?

Great job on completing the derivation for hypersphere volume in integer dimensions! Generalizing it to fractional dimensions can be a challenging task, but not impossible. One approach could be to use the concept of fractional calculus, which deals with integrals and derivatives of non-integer orders. You can also try using the concept of fractals, which have fractional dimensions, to help with the generalization. Another approach could be to use the concept of Hausdorff dimension, which measures the "size" of a set in a topological space, and can also be a fractional value. These are just a few suggestions, but there may be other methods as well. Good luck!

1. What is a hypersphere?

A hypersphere is a geometrical shape in higher dimensions that is analogous to a sphere in three-dimensional space. It is defined as the set of points that are equidistant from a central point, with the number of dimensions determining the number of coordinates needed to describe it.

2. What is the volume of a hypersphere?

The volume of a hypersphere is calculated using the formula V = (π^d/2 * r^d) / Γ(d/2 + 1), where d is the number of dimensions and r is the radius. This formula was derived by mathematician Leonhard Euler.

3. How is the volume of a hypersphere affected by fractional dimensions?

In fractional dimensions, the volume of a hypersphere is calculated using the generalized formula V = (π^d/2 * r^d) / Γ(d/2 + 1), where d is a fractional number. This formula takes into account the concept of fractional dimensionality, where the number of dimensions is not limited to whole numbers.

4. Can a hypersphere have a fractional dimension?

Yes, a hypersphere can have a fractional dimension. In fact, it is a fundamental concept in the field of fractal geometry, where objects can have non-integer dimensions. This concept has applications in various fields, including physics, biology, and computer science.

5. How does the volume of a hypersphere change as the number of dimensions increases?

As the number of dimensions increases, the volume of a hypersphere increases as well. This can be visualized by imagining a sphere expanding into higher dimensions, with its volume increasing exponentially. In fact, in higher dimensions, the volume of a hypersphere increases at a much faster rate compared to its surface area.