1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Hypersphere Volume - Fractional Dimensions

1. Feb 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've completed the derivation of the hypersphere volume for integer dimensions, and my solution matches what's on Wikipedia. How can I generalize it to fractional dimensions?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution Not a clue; my only guess at this point is that the multidimensional "radius", which is a sum for integer dimensions, certainly becomes an integral, but how?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2010 #2
    Wikipedia's entry on n-sphere's says that you can use the same formula because it is a continuous function up until [itex]n\sim5.26[/itex]. Beyond this value, I cannot say what the generalization would be.

Hope this helps.

4. Feb 14, 2010 #3
    Well, I read that, but I don't really see what makes it so. I (sort of) followed the argument about why that produces the maximum volume, but what happens there? If it's some kind of discontinuity, what causes it?

5. Feb 14, 2010 #4
    I don't know what causes the discontinuity, perhaps you can plot the volume versus n and see what happens around then?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook