Hypothetical Fear as a Basis for Decision Making.

In summary, The conversation discusses the concept of using hypothetical fear as a basis for decision making. Examples are given such as not wanting to harm animals because we wouldn't want to be treated the same way and buying life insurance because of the possibility of leaving our family with nothing. The conversation also raises the question of whether hypothetical fear can be a justification for actions and if it should be based on probability or the theory itself. The participants also mention that fear is a fundamental motivator and is crucial for survival in a hostile environment. However, there is uncertainty about how consciousness and moral values relate to each other.
Dooga Blackrazor
I wan't sure whether to post this here or in Value Theory. I meant to post it in Value Theory so the moderators can move it if they wish. I have no preference personally.

What does everyone think of hypothetical fear as a basis for decision making? Examples:

I don't want to kill an animal because "I wouldn't want them to treat me like we treat them - if our roles were reversed".

You shouldn't hurt other people because "you wouldn't want them to hurt you - even if they can't".

People should buy life insurance because "they could die and leave their family with nothing".

Is hypothetical fear ever a justification for doing something? Should the instance of acting on hypothetical fear be based on probability, or the theory being the hypothetical situation itself?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fear is THE fundamental motivator.

It is the most primitive and most powerful of all human emotions. In the name of fear they will DO ANYTHING, including gouging the eyes of their parents with their own fingers if need be.

It is also little wonder that this would be the frist emotion nature would chance upon,a after all constant and unrelenting fear is critical for continued survival in a complex and hostile enivorment like nature.

Dooga Blackrazor said:
Is hypothetical fear ever a justification for doing something? Should the instance of acting on hypothetical fear be based on probability, or the theory being the hypothetical situation itself?

Hypothetical fear would come from moral values, however, the problem we have is we don't know how consciousness and moralistic value compares with each other in retrospect.

1. What is hypothetical fear?

Hypothetical fear is a type of fear that is based on something that is not currently happening or may never happen. It involves imagining a potential threat or danger and responding as though it is real.

2. What role does hypothetical fear play in decision making?

Hypothetical fear can play a significant role in decision making as it can influence our choices and actions. It can cause us to avoid certain situations or take precautions based on imagined risks, even if they are not supported by evidence.

3. How does hypothetical fear differ from actual fear?

Hypothetical fear differs from actual fear in that it is not based on a real or present threat. It is a product of our thoughts and imagination, while actual fear is a response to a concrete danger or threat.

4. Is hypothetical fear always a bad thing?

Not necessarily. In some cases, hypothetical fear can help us prepare for potential dangers and make more informed decisions. However, it can also lead to irrational decisions and unnecessary anxiety if not managed properly.

5. How can we prevent hypothetical fear from influencing our decisions?

To prevent hypothetical fear from influencing our decisions, it is important to evaluate the evidence and likelihood of a potential threat. Engaging in critical thinking and seeking out reliable information can help us make more rational decisions and avoid being controlled by hypothetical fear. Seeking support from others and managing our emotions can also be helpful.