Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am confusing about the delta G(free-energy change). Could any one

1. Dec 2, 2009 #1
    I am confusing about the delta G(free-energy change). Could any one explain me more about the sign of delta G. wat the exergonic and endergonic process mean??? also, wat is the relation between the delta G and delta S(entropy)? I know the formula between them, but I dont quite understand

Thank you,

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2009 #2
    Re: thermodynamic

Free energy is essentially the ability to do work. A reaction where free energy is absorbed from the environment has work being done on the reactants (this is endergonic, delta G is positive). When free energy is release by a reaction, the reactants have done work on the environment (this is exergonic, delta G is negative). The entropy of a system represents the amount of disorder when a reaction occurs. It will determine how much of the available energy in a system can do work. Change in entropy alone, however, does not influence delta G. The change in enthalpy (H) must also be known.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook