I am confusing about the delta G(free-energy change). Could any one

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
quynhchi0907
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I am confusing about the delta G(free-energy change). Could anyone explain me more about the sign of delta G. wat the exergonic and endergonic process mean? also, wat is the relation between the delta G and delta S(entropy)? I know the formula between them, but I don't quite understand

Thank you,
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org


Free energy is essentially the ability to do work. A reaction where free energy is absorbed from the environment has work being done on the reactants (this is endergonic, delta G is positive). When free energy is release by a reaction, the reactants have done work on the environment (this is exergonic, delta G is negative). The entropy of a system represents the amount of disorder when a reaction occurs. It will determine how much of the available energy in a system can do work. Change in entropy alone, however, does not influence delta G. The change in enthalpy (H) must also be known.