I am in deperate need of help Physics

• Thread starter aliciagu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential fate of the sun as a white dwarf and provides calculations for its average density, free fall acceleration, and gravitational potential energy. The person asking for help is initially lost but eventually finds their way with the help of class notes and additional research.
aliciagu
I am in deperate need of help! Physics

The question:
after our sun exhausts its nuclear fuel, its ulitmate fate may be to collapse to a white dwarf state, in which it has approximately the same mass as it has now but a radius equal to the radius of the earth. Calculate: The average density of the white dwarf; the free fall acceleration; the gravitational potential energy associated with a 1.00-kg object on its surface.

I don't even know where to start. I'm lost. PLEASE HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
aliciagu said:
I don't even know where to start. I'm lost. PLEASE HELP!
Read your class notes and look up the mass of the sun and the radius of the earth.

Thanks! That got me started. I don't know where my head is at today! I think I've got the rest.

1. What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand and explain the fundamental principles that govern the universe.

2. Why is physics important?

Physics has many practical applications in our daily lives, including technology, engineering, and medicine. It also helps us understand the natural world and has led to many groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in various fields.

3. What are the main principles of physics?

The main principles of physics include Newton's laws of motion, the laws of thermodynamics, the theory of relativity, and the laws of electromagnetism. These principles help us understand the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

4. How can I improve my understanding of physics?

To improve your understanding of physics, it is essential to have a solid foundation in mathematics, as it is the language of physics. It is also helpful to practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills, and to seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups.

5. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

Some common misconceptions about physics include that it is only for geniuses, that it is boring and irrelevant to everyday life, and that it only deals with complicated equations. In reality, physics is for everyone, and it is a fascinating and practical subject that helps us understand the world around us.