I am lost, dont know how to solve part 2

• Thread starter asmasky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost
In summary, we are given a 30-06 caliber hunting rifle with a mass of 4.1 kg and a bullet of mass 0.0113 kg fired at a velocity of 765 m/s to the right. The recoil speed of the rifle is calculated to be 2.1084 m/s. If the rifle is stopped by the hunter's shoulder in a distance of 2.52 cm, the magnitude of the average force exerted on the shoulder by the rifle can be found using conservation of energy. The final velocity of the rifle is known to be 0 m/s, so the kinetic energy can be calculated and used to determine the force needed to stop the rifle in that distance.
asmasky

Homework Statement

part -1) A 30-06 caliber hunting rifle fires a bullet of mass 0.0113 kg with a velocity of 765 m/s to the right. The rifle has mass of 4.1 kg.
what is the recoil speed of the rifle as the bullet leaves the rifle? answer in units of m/s. answer is 2.1084 /s

part -2) If the rifle is stopped by the hunter's shoulder in a diatance of 2.52 cm, waht is the magnitude of the average force exerted on the shoulder by the rifle? answer in units of N.

Homework Equations

not sure, new user on this website

The Attempt at a Solution

not sure, new user on this website

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show us some effort.

What do you know about conservation of momentum?

part1) V(bullet) = (m(bullet)v(bullet))/(M(rifle)) = 2.1084 m/s

Part2) J = (F) (deltaT)
J = P(final) - P(inital) = MV(final) - MV(initial) = M(V(final) - V(inital))

For the second part you might be better using conservation of energy.
Energy = force * distance.
The hunters shoulder is essentailly a spring receiving the kinetic energy of the moving rifle. You know the mass and initial velocity of the rifle and the final velocity=0.

do u mean,
k = (.5)(m)(v^2) or ENERGY = (.5)(m)(v^2)+(.5)(k)(x^2)

You don't need to calculate the spring - I was just trying to describe what happened.
You know the velocity of the rifle when it first touches the shoulder, so you can find the KE.
Since work (or energy) is force * distance and you know the distance you can work out how much force it takes to stop this energy in this distance.

1. What is the purpose of part 2?

Part 2 is typically a continuation of a scientific experiment or research project. Its purpose is to further investigate the topic or problem at hand and potentially reach a conclusion or make further discoveries.

2. How do I approach solving part 2?

The best way to approach solving part 2 is to carefully review any instructions or guidelines provided, gather all relevant data and information, and then develop a clear plan or hypothesis for how to proceed. It may also be helpful to consult with colleagues or mentors for their insights and advice.

3. What if I encounter unexpected results or obstacles in part 2?

It is not uncommon for unexpected results or obstacles to arise during scientific research. In these cases, it is important to carefully analyze and document the issue, and then adjust your approach accordingly. Don't be afraid to seek assistance or collaborate with others to find a solution.

4. How long should I spend on part 2?

The amount of time spent on part 2 will vary depending on the complexity of the project and the level of detail required. It is important to give yourself enough time to thoroughly analyze and interpret the data, but also to avoid getting bogged down in excessive details.

5. What should I do if I am still lost after attempting to solve part 2?

If you are still feeling lost after attempting to solve part 2, it is important to ask for help or seek guidance from a mentor or colleague. It may also be helpful to take a step back and review your approach, making sure you are following proper scientific methods and protocols.