Tricky Friction and Momentum Questions. Help Appreciated

In summary, the conversation is about a physics student seeking help on processes and equations. One of the problems involves finding the recoil speed and average force exerted on the shoulder by a rifle that fires a bullet with a given mass and velocity. The other problem involves finding the force and distance involved in stopping a car. The student receives some tips and suggestions from others and eventually solves both problems.
jambition
Alright, last time I made a post I got some great help from the people who contributed. Again, I'm not interested in answers but a guided discussion on processes would be extremely helpful! I'm so close to completing these equations but I just need a push in the right direction. Please help a physics student out!

4a. A 30-06 caliber hunting rifle fires a bullet of mass 0.00976 kg with a velocity of 421 m/s to the right. The rifle has a mass of 2.95 kg.
Recoil speed of rifle is 1.39287 m/s.

If the rifle is stopped by the hunter’s shoulder
in a distance of 2.14 cm, what is the magnitude of the average force exerted on the shoulder by the rifle?
Answer in units of N

4b. Is this another kinetics equation? I'm looking for force but there's distance involved so does that mean I have to find velocity?

4c. It's simple but for some reason I cannot seem to know where to start. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yikes, too many questions at once! On the car stopping distance, you should be able to find the force of friction, then use it in F=ma to get the deceleration of the car. Finally, use one or two accelerated motion formulas to find the stopping distance.

Just solved two. Still need some help on the last two?

Last edited:
Whenever a variable is not given i try to set up two equations with two unknown variables such as your mass and something else. Then you combine the equations through substitution to find one of your variables. Once you have that variable you can solve for the other one. In your situation it may not work but whenever I am stuck i try that. Give it a shot.

Thanks! I just solved it (finally). Now I'm just stuck on the rifle problem.

What is friction and how does it affect momentum?

Friction is the force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact. It acts in the opposite direction of the motion and reduces the overall momentum of the object.

How do you calculate frictional force?

Frictional force can be calculated using the equation F = μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force between the two surfaces.

What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is affected by the nature of the two surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the amount of force applied between them.

How does friction impact the motion of an object on a surface?

Friction can either help or hinder the motion of an object on a surface. It can provide the necessary traction for an object to move, but it can also slow down or stop the object's motion.

How can you reduce the effects of friction on momentum?

The effects of friction on momentum can be reduced by using lubricants, increasing the surface area of contact, or reducing the force applied between the two surfaces.