Solving Finite Potential Well Problem: Confusing Math & Descriptions

• Thread starter bluestar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, The conversation is about a problem involving a finite potential well and the use of simple algebra to set up equations for plotting a graph. The x-axis represents .5kL and the y-axis represents the three defined functions. The values of .5koL are set at specific values to calculate the third function and the graph reflects the points of intersection for 1, 2, 3 or 4 solutions for the energy values. The question remains about how the values of .5koL were determined and how to determine the energy values from the graph.
bluestar
I am working on a finite potential well problem and the math presented in a paper is simple algebra; but, the descriptions of the process has become so confusing that I can not follow.

The reference paper is:
http://www.physics.mq.edu.au/~jcresser/Phys201/LectureNotes/SchrodingerEqn.pdf

There are no page numbers but the area in question follows equation 6.56. What he is doing in this section is setting up the equations to plot figure 6.2 on the following page.

Here is the setup
• The first curve is defined as tan(.5kL) where k = sqrt(2mE/hbar^2) m = mass & E = energy eV
• The second curve is defined as -cot(.5kL) where k = sqrt(2mE/hbar^2) m = mass & E = energy eV
• The third curve is defined as f(.5kL) = sqrt((.5koL/.5kL)^2 -1)
• These functions are plotted for various values of ko = sqrt(2mV/hbar^2) thus incrementing V

1. What I don’t understand is that k is defined in terms of E and that is the value we are looking for.

The following graph 6.2 reflects the plots indicating points of intersection which represents 1, 2, 3 or 4 solutions for allowalble energy values.

2. I don’t understand why the x-axis is labeled .5kL and what does the y-axis represent?

ps, I would have used latext but I could not get it to work here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, ok, I have figured out the graph.

The x-axis represents .5kL and this whole term is incremented from 1 thru 6 for the calculation of the 3 functions.
The .5koL element is set at specific values for the calculations of the sqrt((.5koL/.5kL)2-1) function.
Now by setting .5koL equal to 1, 2, 3.8 and 6, I was able to duplicate his/her figure 6.2.

New question:
• How did he/she know that 1, 2, 3.8 & 6 were the correct values for .5koL?
• How do you determine the value of energy from the graph values?

1. What is a finite potential well problem?

A finite potential well problem is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle trapped within a region of space with a finite potential. It is often used to model the behavior of particles in a confined system, such as a nucleus or an atom.

2. How is the finite potential well problem solved?

The solution to the finite potential well problem involves solving the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation used to describe the behavior of quantum systems. This equation takes into account the potential energy of the particle and the kinetic energy of the particle to determine its wave function.

3. Why is the math involved in solving the finite potential well problem considered confusing?

The math involved in solving the finite potential well problem can be considered confusing because it requires knowledge of advanced mathematical concepts such as differential equations and complex numbers, as well as a strong understanding of quantum mechanics. Additionally, the solutions may involve complex functions and integrals that can be difficult to grasp without a strong mathematical background.

4. What are some common misconceptions about the finite potential well problem?

One common misconception about the finite potential well problem is that the particle is confined to a specific location within the well. In reality, the particle's position is described by a probability distribution, and it has a certain probability of being found at any point within the well. Another misconception is that the particle is completely trapped within the well, when in fact it has a non-zero probability of tunneling through the barriers of the well.

5. How is the finite potential well problem relevant in real-world applications?

The finite potential well problem has many practical applications in fields such as nuclear physics, solid-state physics, and quantum computing. It is used to model the behavior of particles in a variety of systems and can provide insights into the behavior of matter at the atomic and subatomic level. For example, it can be used to understand the behavior of electrons in semiconductors and the stability of atomic nuclei.