Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I could have been shot ?

1. Mar 15, 2009 #1
    I was in my apartment on my laptop when I hear a bunch of noise outside. I live near a university and it's a saturday night, so this is pretty usual. However I begin to hear people screaming at each other so I go outside to see what's going on.

At this point I see a guy who pushes a girl, gets back in his car, and drives off very quickly. I got his license plate number and some guy who was with the girl calls the police. I talk to the girl to figure out what happened and this is basically what went on

The girl with her friends (two guys and one other girl) were walking down 4th ave (street with a ton of bars) when some guys pull up in a car and start hitting on the two girls. This goes on for a while and after they yell at the guys in the car to leave them alone, one of the guys pulled out a handgun and told them they should be nicer to strangers (or something to this effect). They reverse out so the group can't get a license plate at this time. Now at this point is when they are in my apartment complex's parking lot. The car drives up again and this time one of the guys comes out with a baseball bat. He hits the two guys the girls were with and then also hits both the girls. I came outside to see what was going on right after this had happened.

So basically what's going on in my mind right now is that if I came out earlier/if the guys were still there, I would have confronted them. Now, I'm pretty sure I could have taken a drunk guy with a baseball bat. I've taken enough MMA where this shouldn't be a problem and I have been in a somewhat similar situation before.

The problem is that I'm fairly positive that if I took him down, that guy would have shot me at that point, and that's a pretty terrifying thought. I can take a bat or a knife, but not a firearm... I shouldn't be so quick to act next time unless someone's life is really in danger.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2009 #2
    Thankful you're safe. Did the others have to go to the hospital?

4. Mar 15, 2009 #3
    Surprisingly enough none of them were hurt badly. They were able to keep themselves from being hit straight on I guess.

5. Mar 15, 2009 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's good that nobody was seriously hurt, since things could've been a lot worse!

Still, I don't get what happened: if some guys are trying to hit on some girls walking down the street from their car, why didn't they just get off the road by going into a bar or something? Regardless, this certainly is a lesson not to yell at people sat in a car: you don't know what they've got in there!

6. Mar 15, 2009 #5
    You're right though, one never really knows when to run to help and just how to do it unless one is professionally trained.
    It's too hard just to sit and do nothing. Most people I know would have gotten involved as well. You're a good person. But be soooo careful.

7. Mar 15, 2009 #6
    If the guys sitting in their car were annoying, why did not they simply walk away ? When violence built up, there are positive attitudes one should stick to in order to prevent the situation from getting worse.

8. Mar 15, 2009 #7
    Glad your ok Moose. Your right, it could of turned out very differently.

9. Mar 15, 2009 #8
    I don't know if anyone could have stopped himself particularly when he knows bit about fighting. And, none of them would have acted wrong.

I wonder if MMA or use of gun would have helped though.

10. Mar 15, 2009 #9
    Did they call the cops?

11. Mar 15, 2009 #10
    Look, it's not your problem. I would have just called the cops from my appartment. You're not the police to protect anyone other than yourself.

12. Mar 15, 2009 #11

S_Happens

Gold Member

I could have been shot a few years ago, by no fault of my own.

I live on the Texas coast, so on a weekend we went down to a beach where a bunch of people get together. I was in my car stuck in traffic on the beach when a fight broke out about 25 feet away. One guy was all bloody and started screaming "OH GOD, DON'T SHOOT ME!" He was desperately clamped onto the other guy's arm who had a handgun. They were rolling around on the sand and it discharged once before a bunch of other people jumped on top of them. From the time we noticed the fight to when it was discharged was only a few seconds, so not enough time to even move anywhere.

Luckily it didn't hit any bystanders (or anyone else).

13. Mar 15, 2009 #12

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Where is your gun?

14. Mar 15, 2009 #13
    Huh? I'm completely unarmed.

Yup.

I would do that if it were only guys in the situation. However, it's hard to stand still if you see girls being attacked.

15. Mar 15, 2009 #14

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why?

If I lived near a university in the US, I can guarantee you I would be armed.

16. Mar 15, 2009 #15
    But how would have a gun helped in here other than worsening the situation?

17. Mar 15, 2009 #16
    Simple answer: I'm 19, you have to be 21 for a handgun.

18. Mar 15, 2009 #17

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First, I would have never left my apartment, like Cyrus said.

And the gun would serve as personal protection.

If you learn how to use a gun properly, it can serve a good purpose. Of course, you need to take courses to learn how to use a gun properly, and such. And practice as well.

Just like MMA, or what not. You need to practice. I would never trust someone with a gun who's inexperienced with it. That's just insane.

19. Mar 15, 2009 #18
    To keep this thread from completely derailing and being locked, and considering we've pounded this topic to the floor already, let's keep this on topic.

20. Mar 15, 2009 #19

Pythagorean

Gold Member

MMA's neat. I prefer having a gun for protection. I'm not a ****tard, I'm a responsible adult. I know when not to pull it out (which is about 99.999% of the time).

21. Mar 15, 2009 #20
    Yes, but you are confronting two (impaired?) guys who wouldn't hesitate to shoot at you. But, I agree that with proper physical and psychological (not only learning how to shoot) training, it's possible to use gun effectively as a defense (IMO, lot easier if only one person to confront)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook