Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The feeling of what i'm doing i'm wasting my life

1. Jul 28, 2013 #1
    the feeling of "what i'm doing i'm wasting my life"

hello, i'm 17 years old high school final year, it is summer it has been 3 months now since the start of the vacation and i've never left home once in these 3 months i'm not a recluse or anything, i actually would like to go out but the reason behind this is a bit complicated i'm not a good looking guy on the facial aesthetics side (can't change it sadly), so it was hard for me to socialize(yeah,pretty sure it's because of looks cause when i was a kid i had many friends and kids don't care about looks etc..) especially since in my area people really give me a noticeable bad attitude ,so i currently have no friends i just sit home browsing on my laptop /studying calculus, i got over my awkwardness and i don't have anymore suicidal thoughts thankfully , mentioning this again , the looks thing is Very noticeable this is a bit offtopic ish but i really liked a girl when i was 16 but she preferred another guy this happened twice, i lost hope after that and i don't bother with girls anymore.
    but the thing that's bugging me is a very special feeling that is a hybrid of anger and sadness, sometime i'm just sitting normally and this feeling hits me , it's like this , what the heck am i doing with my life?my life is pathetic?if i was born good looking i would've been happy right now?what if i work really hard and get a good future would that replace these 17 years ? am i going to stay lonely for the rest of my life?i don't know if someone would relate to this but i hope so
    PS:sorry for this wall of text , i just wanted to get these feelings out of my chest .;

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2013 #2
    Hey Andrax let me begin by informing you that we're the same age, but I'm a school year ahead of you. For a long time I wasn't happy with my physical appearance, primarily because I found myself to be too skinny to be suitable. While I had friends in school, I found myself alone outside of school. In the middle of my senior year I befriended another student and I began to hang out with his group of friends. I enjoyed being around those kids, and when prom came around he told me he wanted to introduce me to a friend of his. When I met her I thought she was out of my league and I had no chance. I was afraid to ask her and insecurity was getting the best of me. Yet when I finally asked her, she said yes. Very quickly I went from a loner to a guy with a solid group of friends and a girlfriend.

My point here is that sometimes we judge ourselves a bit harshly. That being said, even if you don't have the greatest face (I have a large nose and a good number of scars on my face) that shouldn't stop you from living your life. It turns out there were a lot of fairly attractive females that were more than happy to be with me. I'm sure there are group of friends, and a female, waiting there for you somewhere in your future. Don't give up, but in the mean time take initiative. Working out can give you a nice boost as well. Have you considered that at all?

If you ever feel lonely, depressed, or have a social question feel free to give me a PM anytime.

4. Jul 29, 2013 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Being good looking is not required to have friends, much less leave your house. You should talk to your parents and perhaps a psychologist about this.

5. Jul 29, 2013 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Agreed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook