The feeling of what i'm doing i'm wasting my life

• Thread starter Andrax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the conversation is about a 17-year-old who has been feeling like they are wasting their life. They have not gone out during their summer vacation and struggle with socializing due to their appearance. They have also had negative experiences with girls, causing them to feel angry and sad about their life. The other person in the conversation shares their own experience of initially feeling insecure about their appearance but finding friends and a girlfriend. They encourage the 17-year-old to not give up and potentially try working out. They also suggest talking to parents and a psychologist for support.
Andrax
the feeling of "what I'm doing I'm wasting my life"

hello, I'm 17 years old high school final year, it is summer it has been 3 months now since the start of the vacation and I've never left home once in these 3 months I'm not a recluse or anything, i actually would like to go out but the reason behind this is a bit complicated I'm not a good looking guy on the facial aesthetics side (can't change it sadly), so it was hard for me to socialize(yeah,pretty sure it's because of looks cause when i was a kid i had many friends and kids don't care about looks etc..) especially since in my area people really give me a noticeable bad attitude ,so i currently have no friends i just sit home browsing on my laptop /studying calculus, i got over my awkwardness and i don't have anymore suicidal thoughts thankfully , mentioning this again , the looks thing is Very noticeable this is a bit offtopic ish but i really liked a girl when i was 16 but she preferred another guy this happened twice, i lost hope after that and i don't bother with girls anymore.
but the thing that's bugging me is a very special feeling that is a hybrid of anger and sadness, sometime I'm just sitting normally and this feeling hits me , it's like this , what the heck am i doing with my life?my life is pathetic?if i was born good looking i would've been happy right now?what if i work really hard and get a good future would that replace these 17 years ? am i going to stay lonely for the rest of my life?i don't know if someone would relate to this but i hope so
PS:sorry for this wall of text , i just wanted to get these feelings out of my chest .;

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Andrax let me begin by informing you that we're the same age, but I'm a school year ahead of you. For a long time I wasn't happy with my physical appearance, primarily because I found myself to be too skinny to be suitable. While I had friends in school, I found myself alone outside of school. In the middle of my senior year I befriended another student and I began to hang out with his group of friends. I enjoyed being around those kids, and when prom came around he told me he wanted to introduce me to a friend of his. When I met her I thought she was out of my league and I had no chance. I was afraid to ask her and insecurity was getting the best of me. Yet when I finally asked her, she said yes. Very quickly I went from a loner to a guy with a solid group of friends and a girlfriend.

My point here is that sometimes we judge ourselves a bit harshly. That being said, even if you don't have the greatest face (I have a large nose and a good number of scars on my face) that shouldn't stop you from living your life. It turns out there were a lot of fairly attractive females that were more than happy to be with me. I'm sure there are group of friends, and a female, waiting there for you somewhere in your future. Don't give up, but in the mean time take initiative. Working out can give you a nice boost as well. Have you considered that at all?

If you ever feel lonely, depressed, or have a social question feel free to give me a PM anytime.

Being good looking is not required to have friends, much less leave your house. You should talk to your parents and perhaps a psychologist about this.

russ_watters said:
Being good looking is not required to have friends, much less leave your house. You should talk to your parents and perhaps a psychologist about this.
Agreed.

Dear writer,

I can understand how you feel like you are wasting your life by not going out and socializing during your summer vacation. However, I want to assure you that your worth and value as a person is not determined by your looks or your social status. I can tell you that our lives are constantly changing and evolving, and what may seem like a difficult situation now may not be the same in the future.

It is important to remember that physical appearance is only one aspect of a person and it does not define who they are. There are many successful and happy people who may not fit societal standards of beauty. It is also important to focus on your strengths and talents rather than your perceived flaws.

Furthermore, relationships and friendships should not be based on superficial qualities such as looks. True connections are built on mutual respect, understanding, and shared interests. It may be difficult to find like-minded individuals in your immediate surroundings, but there are many ways to meet new people and make friends, such as joining clubs or groups that align with your interests.

I encourage you to focus on self-improvement and personal growth, rather than comparing yourself to others. You have the power to create your own happiness and fulfillment in life. Keep studying and pursuing your passions, and remember that your hard work and dedication will pay off in the long run.

Lastly, it is important to seek support and talk to someone about your feelings. Whether it is a friend, family member, or a professional, sharing your thoughts can help you process and cope with them. You are not alone in your struggles and there is always hope for a brighter future.

Take care.

1. What causes the feeling of wasting my life?

The feeling of wasting one's life can be caused by a variety of factors, such as lack of purpose or direction, fear of failure, low self-esteem, or comparing oneself to others. It can also stem from societal pressure to achieve certain milestones or expectations.

2. Is the feeling of wasting my life a valid concern?

Yes, the feeling of wasting one's life is a valid concern that many people experience. It can be a sign of underlying issues such as depression, anxiety, or burnout. However, it is important to address these feelings and find ways to overcome them.

3. Can the feeling of wasting my life be changed?

Yes, the feeling of wasting one's life can be changed. It may require self-reflection, setting goals, seeking support from loved ones or a therapist, and making changes in one's life to align with their values and passions.

4. How can I overcome the feeling of wasting my life?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to overcoming the feeling of wasting one's life. Some strategies may include practicing mindfulness, finding meaning in daily activities, setting achievable goals, seeking professional help, and surrounding oneself with positive and supportive people.

5. Can the feeling of wasting my life be beneficial?

While the feeling of wasting one's life can be distressing, it can also serve as a motivator to make positive changes and live a more fulfilling life. It can prompt individuals to reevaluate their priorities and make necessary changes to align with their goals and values.