Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I don't get it

1. Aug 16, 2007 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

A tropical storm is named if a storm has winds that exceed 39 MPH and it makes news. 39 MPH winds are really common here on the plains. We routinely have storms here with sustained winds of 60-70 MPH, but they dont get named and they don't make the news.

Right now we have a storm with winds of 60 MPH approaching. This isn't fair. :grumpy: If we named every storm with winds reaching 39 MPH here we'd exhaust the entire alphabet by Valentine's day.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2007 #2

Evo

Oh great, the national weather service has just announced it's headed directly for my house. Not really kidding, it announced a predicted direct hit on my town which is about 2 square miles. Excuse me while I go gather up my emergency provisions.

4. Aug 16, 2007 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

meh.. you're moving anyway, right?

5. Aug 16, 2007 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think Evo wants to go to Oz though.

6. Aug 16, 2007 #5

Evo

Well, I was kind of hoping the house wouldn't get leveled with me in it. :frown:

Dr Foofer is out there!!!!! :cry:

7. Aug 16, 2007 #6

Evo

HAH! They just interrupted TV to announce that the storm is actually at ONLY my freeway exit, one mile from here and doesn't even reach the next exit 2 miles away. It's another freak microburst.

8. Aug 16, 2007 #7

turbo

Gold Member

We live near the top of hill in Maine. We routinely get storms kicking up 50-60+ mph winds and I found out today that an 80-100' Hemlock has recently been uprooted and has smashed down on one of my favorite blackberry patches. We often get heavy storms with damaging winds and rainfall in excess of 1"/hr. The state is so sparsely populated and is steep enough to handle heavy run-offs so that we never make the news.

The people who have been ignorant enough to build in low-lying areas of this country with histories of devastating storm surges are rewarded with "disaster declarations" each and every time they suffer losses from their ignorance, and the taxpayers pick up the bill. If idiots feel a burning need to live on the sand bars euphemistically called "barrier islands" off the Carolinas or in some other places that routinely get decimated, they should have to pay for any losses themselves. It's not a "natural disaster" when you insist on building in a place that's destined to get wiped clean every decade or so. That's ignorance, compounded by greed and an inflated sense of entitlement, when you can stand in front of your devastated property with TV cameras rolling and whine that you've "lost everything" and demand government help.

Ironically, the same people who will deride "welfare mothers" will stand silently by while millionaires collect damages for building their huge "cottages" in places where they are absolutely ensured to be wiped out in a decade or so.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  9. Aug 16, 2007 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We had one of those pass over here a few years ago. We went from calm to 60mph winds in a matter of minutes. It was freaky! I even saw a tornadic circulation pass over that touched down about twenty miles from here.

10. Aug 16, 2007 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But I had a list I wanted her to give the Wizard. :frown:

11. Aug 16, 2007 #10

Evo

Temperature has dropped 20 degrees in the last 10 minutes, that's nice.

Turbo, I hear you. Ivan, didn't you recently have a pretty bad storm?

Crap the power keeps going off.

My house has already been directly hit by lightning before, please don't let it happen again.

12. Aug 16, 2007 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you get Foofer in?

13. Aug 16, 2007 #12

Pythagorean

Gold Member

In my hometown (an island) we always get 30+ winds, but never newsworthy.

I think it's generally about the amount of property damage and injuries sustained... or at least the fear of it.

It's kind of like Alaska. A lot of people don't realize how many Earthquakes and Volcanoes we have here (more than any other state). But they're somewhat insignificant to anyone that's not researching volcanoes or earthquakes, because we have like 2.6 people per square mile here.

14. Aug 16, 2007 #13

Evo

I couldn't find him. :cry:

The Fruit Bat is hyperventillating, it's a really scary storm. If I was smart I'd disconnect everything, but then no one could hear me whine. :frown:

15. Aug 16, 2007 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am sure Foof will be fine. He has excellent survival instincts. Probably holed up somewhere safe.

16. Aug 16, 2007 #15

Evo

That's right, no one cares about the scarcely populated areas, or the midwest.

17. Aug 16, 2007 #16

turbo

Gold Member

I am the Wizard, MIH. You want a nice habanero sauce to spice up your meatball.

Here is where you click those heels (you are wearing the regulation ruby slippers, right?). Get about a dozen habaneros and a few cloves of garlic. Chop them and boil them in 1/2 cup of vinegar until they are soft and then chop that in a food processor. Add maybe 1/2 tsp each of salt and sugar and a tablespoon of molasses, and bring that to a boil. You can process that by canning with 15 minutes in a boiling canning bath, or just jar it up and tuck it away in the fridge. Guaranteed tasty, guaranteed burn. This is the kind of pepper sauce that doesn't assail your tongue right away, but makes your scalp sweat when you've got "just enough" on your sandwich or salad. My wife and I made this stuff the last couple of years for me to cook with and experiment with, and she's gotten so hooked on it that we have run out and have had to resort to making more using store-bought habaneros until ours ripen. :cry:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  18. Aug 16, 2007 #17

Evo

turbo, if you weren't married, I would be honing my moose butchering skills. :!!)

Ok, the storm is beginning to let up. Temperature dropped from 96 to 72 degrees within a few minutes.

19. Aug 16, 2007 #18

turbo

Gold Member

I'm glad that the temperature differentials have flattened. That's what drives the severe stuff. Our severe storm alerts have passed, so I'll get a good night's sleep tonight.

20. Aug 16, 2007 #19

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yum! Turbo, that's exactly what I need!:!!)

Evo, wow -- that's quite a temp drop!!!!!:eek:

Hopefully, there will be no earthquakes out here in MIH/Zooby land, and we will all sleep well.:approve:

21. Aug 16, 2007 #20

Evo

The news says we had 80 MPH winds. That's a Category 1 hurricane. Of course we won't get any mention.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?