I got a question about relative velocities

• Thread starter q2501
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relative
In summary: In this case, the velocity is along some axis, meaning a specific direction. Therefore, if the velocity of B relative to A is -10 m/s, then the velocity of A relative to B will be +10 m/s along the same axis. In summary, if the velocity of B relative to A is -10 m/s or 10 m/s along some axis, then the velocity of A relative to B will be -10 m/s or 10 m/s along the same axis. Both A and B can consider their own velocity to be zero and the other to be the one moving at 10 m/s. There is no absolute distinction in who is moving and who is not, as it depends on the reference frame and direction being
q2501
velocity of B relative to A is -10 m/s or 10 m/s

i am very confusing this. if i change the question to velocity of A relative to B , IS the answer same as above?~

Physics news on Phys.org
If the velocity of B relative to A is +10 m/s along some axis, then the velocity of A relative to B will be -10 m/s.

Yes, as Doc has said. Both A and B can consider their own velocity to be zero. They both consider the other to be the one going 10 m/s. There is no law of physics that allows you to make an absolute distinction between who is moving and who is not.

Doc Al said:
If the velocity of B relative to A is +10 m/s along some axis, then the velocity of A relative to B will be -10 m/s.
what do you mean by along some axis

my_wan said:
Yes, as Doc has said. Both A and B can consider their own velocity to be zero. They both consider the other to be the one going 10 m/s. There is no law of physics that allows you to make an absolute distinction between who is moving and who is not.

Thank you i got it

q2501 said:
what do you mean by along some axis
A velocity such as -10 m/s only makes sense with respect to some direction.

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object or observer in relation to another object or observer. It takes into account the motion of both objects and their respective velocities.

2. How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity is calculated by subtracting the velocity of one object from the velocity of the other object. This can be done using vector addition or by using the formula: Vrel = V1 - V2, where Vrel is the relative velocity, V1 is the velocity of the first object, and V2 is the velocity of the second object.

3. Why is relative velocity important?

Relative velocity is important because it allows us to understand the motion of objects in relation to each other. It is particularly useful in situations where two objects are moving in different directions or at different speeds.

4. What is an example of relative velocity?

An example of relative velocity is a car traveling at 50 mph on a highway passing another car traveling at 60 mph. In this scenario, the relative velocity between the two cars is 10 mph.

5. How does relative velocity relate to the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that relative velocity plays a crucial role in the theory, as it allows us to understand and predict the motion of objects from different reference frames.