I have a few questions, this one is special relativity.

In summary, the astronaut twin returns to Earth after 20 earth-years have elapsed, and his Earth-twin celebrates his 45th birthday. The astronaut twin is 25 years old at the start of the experiment, but he has aged only 5.03 years while on the space journey.
chevycamaro1987
1. On his 25th birthday, the astronaut twin leaves on a long space journey at an average speed of v/c= 0.98. He returns after 20 earth-years have elapsed, to celebrate his earth-twin's 45th birthday. Compare their biological ages.

2. 1/ square root 1- v^2/c^2, My teacher is using v/c instead of giving me a velocity which is throwing me off, I'm not sure if I square the .98 or not.

3. 1/ square root 1- v^2/c^2, so what I was doing was putting the .98 and squaring it, which gives me .9604. I subtracted the 1 from .9604, and got .0396. I inverse the .0396 and get an answer of 25.25...Do I add that 25.25 to the original age of the astronaut which would give me an answer of 50.25 or is the astronauts age just 25.25...?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. We will not do your homework for you. Please show us your work, and discuss why you are unable to proceed. We will help by pointing you in the correction direction.

- Warren

i edited it chroot, is that better?

sorry i don't know how to use latex!

You're making this way too hard, I think.

Find gamma for v=0.98c. That's 1/Sqrt[1 - (0.98)^2].

The number of years elapsed onboard the spaceship is shorter than the time elapsed on Earth by a factor of gamma. So, the number of years elapsed on board the spaceship is 20/gamma.

- Warren

chroot said:
You're making this way too hard, I think.

Find gamma for v=0.98c. That's 1/Sqrt[1 - (0.98)^2].

The number of years elapsed onboard the spaceship is shorter than the time elapsed on Earth by a factor of gamma. So, the number of years elapsed on board the spaceship is 20/gamma.

- Warren

So i tried the formula you gave me (i was using the same one i thought but i got 50, i don't know what happen) and got an answer of 5.03. i don't understand your last part, the 20/gamma. since the 20 years elapsed, I'm dividing it by gamma= 5.03 and then do i add that to the astronauts original age giving him 30 years compared to his twin's 45th? this is just way too much for my understanding. sorry if I am being a pain

In the twenty years on earth, one twin's age increased by 20. Since he was 25 to begin with, he's 45 at the end of that time period.

In the same twenty of years on earth, the twin is flying around, and has aged only 5.03 years. The twin was also 25 when the experiment started, so now he's approximately 30 years old.

- Warren

What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and that the speed of light is a constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

How does special relativity differ from Newtonian mechanics?

Unlike Newtonian mechanics, which only applies to objects at low speeds, special relativity applies to all objects, regardless of their speed. It also introduces the concept of space and time being relative, rather than absolute, and shows that they are interconnected in a four-dimensional spacetime.

What are the key principles of special relativity?

The key principles of special relativity are the constancy of the speed of light, the principle of relativity, and the equivalence of mass and energy (expressed by the famous equation E=mc²). These principles are based on the idea that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers, regardless of their motion.

How is special relativity tested and confirmed?

Special relativity has been tested and confirmed through numerous experiments and observations, such as the famous Michelson-Morley experiment and the observation of time dilation in particle accelerators. It has also been incorporated into many modern technologies, such as GPS systems, which require precise calculations of time and space.

What are some real-world applications of special relativity?

Special relativity has many real-world applications, including GPS systems, particle accelerators, and nuclear power plants. It is also important in the fields of astrophysics and cosmology, as it helps explain the behavior of objects in the universe, such as black holes and the expansion of the universe.