I have a question I with (acceleration)

In summary, the conversation discusses an automobile's acceleration in two stages on a straight road. The first stage has a magnitude of 3.0 m/s^2 and the second stage has a final velocity 2.5 times greater than the first stage. The magnitude of the acceleration in the second stage is found to be 4.5 m/s^2 using kinematics equations.
tee1
I have a question I need help with

I am having trouble figuring out what to do with this problem. Can anyone help?

An automobile starts from rest and accelerates to a final velocity in two stages along a straight road.Each stage occupies the same time. In stage 1, the magnitude of the car's acceleration is 3.0 m/s^2. The magnitude of the car's velocity at the end of stage 2 is 2.5 times greater than it is at the end of stage 1. Find the magnitude of the acceleration in stage 2.

Physics news on Phys.org
2.5*(3t) = 3t + a * (t)
7.5t - 3t = at
4.5t = at
a = 4.5

wow, i hope i didn't make any mistakes.

edit: i did lol, too late for me. such sillyness. (rechecks my stats homework)

Last edited:
tee1 said:
I am having trouble figuring out what to do with this problem. Can anyone help?

An automobile starts from rest and accelerates to a final velocity in two stages along a straight road.Each stage occupies the same time. In stage 1, the magnitude of the car's acceleration is 3.0 m/s^2. The magnitude of the car's velocity at the end of stage 2 is 2.5 times greater than it is at the end of stage 1. Find the magnitude of the acceleration in stage 2.

Stage one:
V = ?, u = 0, a = 3ms^-2, t=t
v=u+at
?=3t

Velocity at end = 2.5(3t) = 7.5T

Stage two:
U = 3t, V = 7.5t, a = ?, t=t
v = u + at
7.5t = 3t + at
divide through by t
7.5=3+a
a=7.5-3
a=4.5ms^-2

Where U = speed at the beggining of the stage, V = Final speed, T = time, a = acceleration.
Kinematics is fun, don't be afraid to leave things as unknowns in algebraic form if you have to compile information in two stages. A lot of examination 'proof' questions will ask for this.

Last edited:

Related to I have a question I with (acceleration)

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. How is acceleration different from velocity?

Velocity refers to an object's speed and direction of motion, while acceleration refers to the change in velocity over time. In other words, velocity is the rate of change of displacement, while acceleration is the rate of change of velocity.

4. Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative. This means that an object is slowing down, or its velocity is decreasing over time. For example, when a car brakes, it experiences negative acceleration.

5. What factors affect acceleration?

The factors that affect acceleration include the force acting on an object, the mass of the object, and the direction of the force. For example, a larger force will result in a greater acceleration, while a larger mass will result in a smaller acceleration.