I have confusion understanding moments and couples

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of moments of forces and couples and whether they are free vectors or not. The question is raised if the moment vector computed about point O can be moved to a new point, B, without changing the system. It is also mentioned that the value of angular momentum and torque depends on the choice of origin in the coordinate. The conversation also clarifies the difference between a couple and the moment of a force. There is confusion about interchanging moment of forces and couples in problems without distinction. It is concluded that the moment about S cannot be found using the information on moment about P unless the location of the forces is known. The value of a dual force is also discussed and it is mentioned that it does not
jukos
TL;DR Summary
I have confusion understanding moments of forces and moments of couples in cartesian co-ordinate system
1) are all Moments of forces and Moments of couples free vectors? Can I move the moment vector computed about point O to a new point "point B" without changing the system? To elaborate on the question, suppose Resultant Moment about point O is computed using several forces and the position vectors to their points of action. My goal is to find Moment of the same forces about Point B. If moments are free vectors, I should be able to move the moment about O to the point B without changing the system. but It seems wrong to me.
2) moment of several forces about point S is known and I need to find moment of the same forces about point P, is this doable using the info about point S? i.e; info of position vector from P to S and secondly moment about S?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Value of angular momentum and torque depends on choice of origin in the coordinate.
[tex]L=r \times p[/tex][tex]N=r \times F[/tex]
Your ambiguity depends on this ?

Likes jukos
A couple is 2 equal and opposite forces F separated by a distance d. The magnitude of the couple is F(d). A free vector. Not the same as the moment of a force, as explained above.

Likes jukos and mitochan
PhanthomJay said:
free vector.
[tex]N=r_1 \times F_1 + r_2 \times F_2[/tex]
[tex]r_2-r_1=d, F_2=-F_1=-F[/tex]
[tex]N=-d \times F_1=d \times F_2= d/2 \times F_2 + (-d/2) \times F_1[/tex]
Value of N is free from choice of origin in the coordinate. Explicitly mentioning where forces are applied as F(r)
[tex]N= d/2 \times F_2(r_1+d) + (-d/2) \times F_1(r_1)=N(r_1,d; F)[/tex]
##N(r_1,d; F) ## seems not free from ##r_1## and ##d## that tell where the forces apply. Am I right?

Last edited:
Likes jukos
PhanthomJay said:
A couple is 2 equal and opposite forces F separated by a distance d. The magnitude of the couple is F(d). A free vector. Not the same as the moment of a force, as explained above.

thanks, What confuses me the most is they interchange Moment of Forces and Couples in problems without any distinction. If I'm getting this right, the answer of this should be
2) moment of several forces about point S is known and I need to find moment of the same forces about point P, is this doable using the info about point S? i.e; info of position vector from P to S and secondly moment about S?
Ans: I can't find Moment about S using the info on Moment about P

tex]N= d/2 \times F_2(r_1+d) + (-d/2) \times F_1(r_1)=N(r_1,d; F)[/tex]
##N(r_1,d; F) ## seems not free from ##r_1## and ##d## that tell where the forces apply. Am I right?
What’s this? You have your moments about a point in (force x distance squared) units , which makes no sense. The moment of a couple about any point is the couple itself.

jukos said:
thanks, What confuses me the most is they interchange Moment of Forces and Couples in problems without any distinction. If I'm getting this right, the answer of this should be

Ans: I can't find Moment about S using the info on Moment about P
Unless you know where is point P and where the forces are located, it can’t be solved except if the forces happen to be couples

PhanthomJay said:
What’s this? You have your moments about a point in (force x distance squared) units , which makes no sense. The moment of a couple about any point is the couple itself.
Value of dual force does not depend on the choice of origin or where they are.
Where they are, I said ##r_1,d##, is important information to know so that we do not search them in the air.

1. What causes confusion in understanding moments and couples?

There are several factors that can contribute to confusion in understanding moments and couples. These include a lack of familiarity with the concepts, difficulty visualizing the forces and their effects, and not having a strong foundation in physics and mathematics.

2. How can I better understand moments and couples?

One way to improve understanding of moments and couples is to review the basic principles of physics and mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the concept of torque. Additionally, practicing with examples and working through problems can help solidify understanding.

3. What is the difference between a moment and a couple?

A moment is a force that causes an object to rotate around a fixed point, while a couple is a pair of equal and opposite forces that act on an object but do not cause it to rotate. Essentially, a moment is a single force, while a couple is two forces acting together.

4. How do moments and couples affect structures?

Moments and couples can have a significant impact on the stability and strength of structures. They can cause objects to rotate, shift, or deform, which can affect the overall integrity of the structure. Engineers and architects must carefully consider these forces when designing buildings and other structures.

5. Can moments and couples be balanced?

Yes, moments and couples can be balanced. This means that the sum of all the moments and couples acting on an object is equal to zero, resulting in no net rotation or movement. This is an important concept in engineering and is often used to ensure the stability and safety of structures.