Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I *Heart* Birds

1. Jun 20, 2014 #1

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We used to have a bird thread here a long time ago, but it went dormant - maybe it's time for a new one?

I need help identifying a bird. It's thrush-sized (~15 cm), nondescript brown-grey.

I noticed it had unusual behavior: It perches on a branch, then flies out about a meter, does a quick turn and goes back to where it was perched. It does this about once every 15 seconds, over and over. I'm pretty sure it's feeding. The behavior reminds my very much of a dragonfly!

I live in Western Washington State. Any ideas?

(Sorry, can't get a photo of it, it's through a screen window and all I have is my cell phone camera.)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Jun 21, 2014 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Based on appearance, it could be a song sparrow. But that can be said of most little brown birds :biggrin:!

It's the behavior that doesn't fit, though. It really looked like it was feeding exactly as a dragonfly does.

5. Jun 21, 2014 #4

jedishrfu

6. Jun 21, 2014 #5

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wouldn't be a female Martin would it?

http://www.welcomewildlife.com/site/content/pages/IMAGES/Birds/Purple%20Martin.jpg [Broken]

Image compliment of www.welcomewildlife.com

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  7. Jun 21, 2014 #6

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

8. Jun 21, 2014 #7
    I always thought that when a bird made a repetitive sound or motion it was looking for a mate.:confused: In the human world that type of behavior is called OCD.:devil:

9. Jun 21, 2014 #8
    I do have a bird mystery of my own. Last month I saw a little nest , about 10 cm wide , up in a mesquite tree so I got my camera and a step ladder (not a good combination for me). I got up to the next to the top step and still had to hold the camera up above my head and take a few wild shots.

I finally got the picture below which is fairly good considering that the wind was blowing. The bird/birds had actually woven a piece of string around the limb that the nest was on.

e7lzpk.jpg

Not satisfied with this tip of the tail bit, I moved the ladder and climbed up to the top step. I still had to hold the camera above my head. The limb the nest was on hung out over the street so I was also standing on the top step of a ladder that was about three feet out into the street. There was great danger here, if my wife had seen me she would have killed me.

The bird was gone but I did get this shot.

2i8dd2u.jpg

To make a long story even longer, a few days ago I was kneeling down beside a patch of aloe vera and a bird landed very close to me. It was a little bird with that same pointed up tail. It kept pecking at something on the aloe. A minute later a second bird flew down. The birds were identical so I thought perhaps that it may be the mother and an offspring from the nest.

So far I haven't found any Arizona bird that looks like those birdies do? They are blue gray on top from head to tail with a lighter underbody and are about 10 to 11 cm long.

I am done now thanks for your time.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  10. Jun 21, 2014 #9

jedishrfu

11. Jun 21, 2014 #10

jedishrfu

12. Jun 21, 2014 #11
  13. Jun 21, 2014 #12

jedishrfu

Maybe they were dieting...

14. Jun 21, 2014 #13
  15. Jun 21, 2014 #14

Evo

To this day, the infamous NotAGoshawk has not been indentified.

16. Jun 22, 2014 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think PFers are especially good at figuring out what a bird isn't.

17. Jun 22, 2014 #16

wolram

Gold Member

A bird is the one with out the dick dick.

18. Jun 22, 2014 #17

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sure you mean these?

19. Jul 23, 2014 #18

Astronuc

Falcon

I took the attached image this morning.

I think it's a prairie falcon. This afternoon, I found a similar one (same species) feeding on some prey in a nearby tree. There are at least two in the area, because I found this one by following its call, but I could hear a second falcon nearby. The may be nesting in another tree near my office.

It looks similar to this falcon.
    http://www.falconphotos.com/Birds-of-Prey/Falcons/Prairie-Falcons/i-cTFxmFv/A

Attached Files:

20. Jul 26, 2014 #19

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nice bird! Alternatively, it could be a Sharp-Shinned Hawk. If you see a marked decline in all other birds in your vicinity, it's even more likely it's a Sharpie!

21. Jul 27, 2014 #20

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook