Identifying a Bird in Western Washington: Unusual Behavior.

In summary: The birds were not that thick in the air. They may have been a bit lower than the bird in the photograph because of the angle of the shot. The bird in the photograph is a little brown bird that is thrush-sized, nondescript brown-gray, has an unusual behavior of perching on a branch and flying out about a meter, doing a quick turn and going back to where it was perched, about once every 15 seconds. It is feeding and the behavior reminds my very much of a dragonfly. This conversation is about a bird that is unidentified. The person is looking for help identifying the bird. It is thrush-sized, nondescript brown-grey, has unusual behavior of perching on
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
We used to have a bird thread here a long time ago, but it went dormant - maybe it's time for a new one?

I need help identifying a bird. It's thrush-sized (~15 cm), nondescript brown-grey.

I noticed it had unusual behavior: It perches on a branch, then flies out about a meter, does a quick turn and goes back to where it was perched. It does this about once every 15 seconds, over and over. I'm pretty sure it's feeding. The behavior reminds my very much of a dragonfly!

I live in Western Washington State. Any ideas?

(Sorry, can't get a photo of it, it's through a screen window and all I have is my cell phone camera.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Based on appearance, it could be a song sparrow. But that can be said of most little brown birds :biggrin:!

It's the behavior that doesn't fit, though. It really looked like it was feeding exactly as a dragonfly does.

Wouldn't be a female Martin would it?

http://www.welcomewildlife.com/site/content/pages/IMAGES/Birds/Purple%20Martin.jpg

Image compliment of www.welcomewildlife.com

Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:
We used to have a bird thread here a long time ago, but it went dormant - maybe it's time for a new one?

I need help identifying a bird. It's thrush-sized (~15 cm), nondescript brown-grey.

I noticed it had unusual behavior: It perches on a branch, then flies out about a meter, does a quick turn and goes back to where it was perched. It does this about once every 15 seconds, over and over. I'm pretty sure it's feeding. The behavior reminds my very much of a dragonfly!

I live in Western Washington State. Any ideas?

(Sorry, can't get a photo of it, it's through a screen window and all I have is my cell phone camera.)

I always thought that when a bird made a repetitive sound or motion it was looking for a mate.:confused: In the human world that type of behavior is called OCD.:devil:

I do have a bird mystery of my own. Last month I saw a little nest , about 10 cm wide , up in a mesquite tree so I got my camera and a step ladder (not a good combination for me). I got up to the next to the top step and still had to hold the camera up above my head and take a few wild shots.

I finally got the picture below which is fairly good considering that the wind was blowing. The bird/birds had actually woven a piece of string around the limb that the nest was on.

e7lzpk.jpg

Not satisfied with this tip of the tail bit, I moved the ladder and climbed up to the top step. I still had to hold the camera above my head. The limb the nest was on hung out over the street so I was also standing on the top step of a ladder that was about three feet out into the street. There was great danger here, if my wife had seen me she would have killed me.

The bird was gone but I did get this shot.

2i8dd2u.jpg

To make a long story even longer, a few days ago I was kneeling down beside a patch of aloe vera and a bird landed very close to me. It was a little bird with that same pointed up tail. It kept pecking at something on the aloe. A minute later a second bird flew down. The birds were identical so I thought perhaps that it may be the mother and an offspring from the nest.

So far I haven't found any Arizona bird that looks like those birdies do? They are blue gray on top from head to tail with a lighter underbody and are about 10 to 11 cm long.

I am done now thanks for your time.

Last edited:
edward said:
The birds were not that thick in the middle.

Maybe they were dieting...

To this day, the infamous NotAGoshawk has not been indentified.

Evo said:
To this day, the infamous NotAGoshawk has not been indentified.

I think PFers are especially good at figuring out what a bird isn't.

A bird is the one without the dick dick.

wolram said:
A bird is the one without the dick dick.

I'm sure you mean these?

Falcon

I took the attached image this morning.

I think it's a prairie falcon. This afternoon, I found a similar one (same species) feeding on some prey in a nearby tree. There are at least two in the area, because I found this one by following its call, but I could hear a second falcon nearby. The may be nesting in another tree near my office.

It looks similar to this falcon.
http://www.falconphotos.com/Birds-of-Prey/Falcons/Prairie-Falcons/i-cTFxmFv/A

Attachments

• Falcon_IMG_4968_sml.jpg
    Falcon_IMG_4968_sml.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 488
Nice bird! Alternatively, it could be a Sharp-Shinned Hawk. If you see a marked decline in all other birds in your vicinity, it's even more likely it's a Sharpie!

The most interesting birds in my area are Kites, which despite being the size of a small hawk, can hover pretty much at a fixed position in the air, wind or no wind, since they focus on a spot on the ground. Link to video and youtube video:

http://ibc.lynxeds.com/video/white-tailed-kite-elanus-leucurus/adult-hovering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhsWRFTJDQI​

1. How do I identify a bird in Western Washington with unusual behavior?

Identifying a bird with unusual behavior in Western Washington can be challenging, but there are a few key steps you can follow. First, observe the bird carefully and note its physical characteristics such as size, color, and shape. Then, pay attention to its behavior, such as how it moves, what it eats, and where it is found. You can also consult a bird identification guide or reach out to local birding groups for assistance.

2. What are some examples of unusual behavior in birds?

Unusual behavior in birds can vary, but some common examples include birds singing at unusual times, flying in unusual patterns, or exhibiting aggressive behavior towards other birds. Other behaviors may include unusual feeding habits, such as eating from a different type of food source, or unusual nesting behaviors.

3. Are there any specific bird species in Western Washington known for exhibiting unusual behavior?

There are many bird species in Western Washington that may exhibit unusual behavior. Some species, such as crows and ravens, are known for their intelligence and may display unusual problem-solving behaviors. Other species, such as herons and egrets, may exhibit unusual feeding behaviors, such as "canopy feeding" where they feed from trees rather than the ground.

4. Is there a scientific explanation for unusual behavior in birds?

There are various reasons why birds may exhibit unusual behavior. In some cases, it may be due to environmental factors, such as changes in food availability or weather patterns. Other times, it may be a result of hormonal changes, such as during breeding season. Some bird species may also display unusual behavior as a form of communication or defense mechanism.

5. Should I be concerned if I see a bird exhibiting unusual behavior?

In most cases, unusual behavior in birds is not a cause for concern. However, if the behavior seems to be harmful or distressing to the bird, it may be a sign of illness or injury. In these cases, it is best to contact a local wildlife rehabilitation center for assistance. Otherwise, simply enjoy observing the unique behavior of these fascinating creatures in their natural habitat.