Compute i^i: Simplifying Complex Math

• Thread starter buffordboy23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computing
In summary, the conversation focused on computing i^{i} using various equations and substitutions, with the final result being i^{i} = e^{-\left(\frac{\pi}{2}+2n\pi\right)} for any integer n. The conversation also touched upon the exponential representation of the imaginary unit and Euler's formula.
buffordboy23

Homework Statement

Compute [tex] i^{i} [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] z = x + iy [/tex]
[tex] z = r \left( cos\theta + isin\theta \right)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to manipulate the equations for substitution to no avail. I think that the answer is 1, since this is what my calculator told me, but I haven't got any more ideas to proceed with the substitutions for i. Experimenting with different ideas on a calculator, I noticed that [tex] n^{i} [/tex] , where [tex] n [/tex] is a positive integer, gave a complex number of the form, [tex] a = b + ic [/tex], where [tex] a^{2} = 1 [/tex] always, and where [tex] b [/tex] decreases and [tex] c [/tex] increases as the integer [tex] n [/tex] increases.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try writing i in an exponential form.

i^i = e^{i*log(i)}

Utilize the exponential representation(s) of the imaginary unit,
[tex]i=e^{i(\frac{\pi}{2}+2n\pi}[/tex]
where n can be any integer.

I solved the problem...thanks for the help.

buffordboy23 said:
I solved the problem...thanks for the help.
Really?
Could you show us the answer you arrived at?

Sure...

From Euler's formula,

[tex] e^{i\theta} =\left( cos\theta + isin\theta \right) [/tex]Let [tex] \theta = \frac{\pi}{2}+2n\pi [/tex], where n is an integer. Therefore,

[tex] e^{i\left(\frac{\pi}{2}+2n\pi\right)} = i [/tex]for any integer n. Taking both sides to ith power and noting that [tex] i^{2} = -1 [/tex] gives

[tex] i^{i} = e^{-\left(\frac{\pi}{2}+2n\pi\right)} [/tex]

Very interesting result...since [tex] i^{i} [/tex] can be comprised of an infinite number of elements. Again, thanks for the help.

1. What is the value of i^i?

The value of i^i is approximately 0.2079. This is a complex number, which represents a combination of a real and imaginary number.

2. How do you simplify i^i?

To simplify i^i, we can use the Euler's formula e^(i*pi) = -1. We can rewrite i^i as e^(i*pi)^i, which then becomes e^(-pi). This can be further simplified to cos(-pi) + i*sin(-pi), which simplifies to -1.

3. Can i^i be written in a different form?

Yes, i^i can also be written as e^(-pi/2), which is the same as cos(-pi/2) + i*sin(-pi/2). This simplifies to 0 + i*(-1), which is the same as -i.

4. What is the significance of i^i?

i^i is a special case in complex numbers and has a unique value. It also has connections to trigonometry and exponential functions, making it an interesting concept in mathematics.

5. Is i^i a real number?

No, i^i is not a real number as it has both real and imaginary components. It is considered a complex number.