Why Can't I Solve This Limit Problem Without L'Hospital's Rule?

In summary, the student is trying to solve a homework problem but is having difficulty. He has found a method to solve the problem using Wolfram Alpha and two other websites, but cannot use the L'Hospital's Method. He gets stuck on a problem because he does not understand the x^6 term. The student is grateful to the person who helped him and says that person is the best.
redpepper007

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/5494/61141879.png

The answer is 2, but I just can't figure out how to get to it.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried all methods taught in school but none works. Adding related expression ((sqrt(16x^6-3x+4x^4)-2x^3) didnt help. Dividing everyhting by x^6 didnt help. Dividing by x^2 - nope... Tired to modify somehting, also no use... All the time I get either 0/0 or inf/inf... Dont know what to do else...

L'Hospital's method isn't allowed! ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Divide numerator and denominator by x^3. And before you say "it doesn't work" show us what you got when you simplified.

Well, it works for sure, but I get different result...

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/6621/mathq.th.jpg

And I believe 2 is the true answer, because I got the answer ''2'' from www.wolframalpha.com[/url] and [url]www.solvemymath.com[/URL] but they solve this using L'Hospitals method.. But I can't use it.

Is that ink?

Also, you mess up the screen by posting something real wide like that, look, it's falling off the right side of the screen as I'm writing that. Finally, ain't that just 4/3+2/3? The whole thing is dominated by x^3. Those are the only terms that matter at infinity.

Yes, that's ink :D And fixed image, now nothing's messed up.

How do you tell that whole thing is dominated by x^3? The biggest x^ is x^6...

redpepper007 said:
The biggest x^ is x^6...
Ah, but it's wrapped inside an ( )1/2, isn't it? That's why you divided the top and bottom by x3 rather than x6. (Where did the x9's come from in your work?)

Hurkyl said:
Ah, but it's wrapped inside an ( )1/2, isn't it? That's why you divided the top and bottom by x3 rather than x6. (Where did the x9's come from in your work?)

I got x9 when I divided sqrt(16x6-3x+4x4) with x3. And then I moved x3 under the sqrt sign, so x3 is ^2 so I get x9. (Because sqrt(x9)=x3)

I have this in my math notes:

''If x -> inf, the limit is equal to the ratio of biggest degrees of X, where each polynomial is of the same level.''

But I got confused because of that sqrt sign... I mean, does x6 and x4 also counts?

redpepper007 said:
Yes, that's ink :D And fixed image, now nothing's messed up.

How do you tell that whole thing is dominated by x^3? The biggest x^ is x^6...

Cus' I think writing in pencil should be part of the art of problem solving and if my professor insisted I do problems in ink then I'd say, "I'm sorry prof, but I'm gonna' have to drop your class cus' I'm not smart enough to never, ever make a math mistake and the scribble-scratch caused by scratching-out ink stuff just interferes with interpretation of an already difficult process."

I"m assuming you got that a term like [itex]\sqrt{x^6}[/itex] is asymptotic to [itex]x^3[/itex] for large x and all the other lower powers become insignificant for large x so that whole square root "looks" just like 4x^3 for large x.

Last edited:
jackmell said:
I"m assuming you got that a term like [itex]\sqrt{x^6}[/itex] is asymptotic to [itex]x^3[/itex] for large x and all the other lower powers become insignificant for large x so that whole thing in the square root "looks" like just 4x^3 for large x.

umm, didnt understand what you meant with that. Can you use simpler English, please?

redpepper007 said:
I got x9 when I divided sqrt(16x6-3x+4x4) with x3. And then I moved x3 under the sqrt sign, so x3 is ^2 so I get x9. (Because sqrt(x9)=x3)

When you move x^3 under the square root you get x^6. Because sqrt(x^6)=x^3. Not x^9.

Dick said:
When you move x^3 under the square root you get x^6. Because sqrt(x^6)=x^3. Not x^9.

But how can that be true? sqrt(9)=3 but sqrt(6)=2.44948...

redpepper007 said:
umm, didnt understand what you meant with that. Can you use simpler English, please?

Ok, I made a mistake with that: [itex]\sqrt{x^6}[/itex] IS x^3. I mean things like [itex]\sqrt{P_6(x)}[/itex] where P_6(x) is a sixth-degree polynomial. For very large x, all the lower-power x terms contribute little to the entire value of the polynomial because the x^6 term is much, much larger than all the other terms no matter how large the coefficients on the other powers are. So we can write:

[tex]\lim_{x\to\infty} P_6(x)\sim a x^6[/tex]

meaning that as x grows very large, the polynomial becomes closer and closer to just the x^6 term.

[tex]\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{\sqrt{16x^6-3x+4x^4)}+2x^3}{3x^3+2x^2+3}[/tex]

Now divide top and bottom by:

[tex]x^3=\sqrt{x^6}[/tex]:

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{\frac{16x^6-3x+4x^4}{x^6}}+\frac{2x^3}{x^3}}{\frac{3x^3+2x^2+3}{x^3}}[/tex]

Now try and just look at that expression and imagine what happens as x gets very large? The root argument tends to 16 right? that other term in the numerator tends to 2 and the bottom tends to 3.

Edit: see you got it but I'll leave my up as well. Also, looks like the ink looks better compared to what you posted in pencil but still I'd recommend you use pencil for math.

1. What is a limit in calculus?

A limit in calculus is a fundamental concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. It is the value that a function is "approaching" as the input gets closer and closer to a particular value.

2. How do you solve a limit?

To solve a limit, you need to first evaluate the function at the given input value. If the function is defined at that input value, then that is the limit. If the function is undefined at the input value, you can try to simplify the function algebraically or graphically to determine the limit. You may also need to use techniques like L'Hopital's rule or the squeeze theorem to evaluate certain limits.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function as the input approaches a value from one direction, either from the left or the right. A two-sided limit considers the behavior of a function as the input approaches a value from both directions, and the limit only exists if the one-sided limits from both directions are equal.

4. Can all limits be solved algebraically?

No, not all limits can be solved algebraically. Some limits may require the use of advanced techniques or may not have a closed form solution. In these cases, you may need to use numerical methods or approximation techniques to estimate the limit.

5. How do limits relate to continuity?

Limits play a crucial role in determining the continuity of a function. A function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. In other words, a function is continuous if it has no breaks or holes in its graph.