I need a little intuition my way regarding moments and direction of couples

In summary, the assembly shown is used to control tension in a tape passing around a frictionless spool. The collar can rotate about a shaft but is prevented from moving along it. The loading shown includes a vertical downforce at the end of the rod and a force from the rope. The reaction at C is in the x, y, and z directions, and the reaction at M is in the y and z directions. The direction of the forces and couples is dependent on the weld and the vertical downforce.
CCenturion

Homework Statement

The assembly shown is used to control the tension T in a tape that passes around a frictionless spool at E. Collar C is welded to rods ABC and CDE. It can rotate about shaft FG but its motion along the shaft is prevented by a washer S. For the loading shown, determine (a) the tension T in the tape, (b) the reaction at C.

Homework Equations

In the solution manual it says the reactions are as follows, C = <Cx,Cy,Cz> and M=<0,My,Mz>
Actually, C i kind of understand it, but not tally sure, and M i have no clue…

The Attempt at a Solution

I Just need help regarding the direction of the forces and couples.
My understanding is that because there's a welded connection, the weld will provide support from moving the rods, therefore the reaction at C goes in the x,y and z directions. However, if there's a vertical downforce at the end of the rod ( 6 lb) wouldn't that cause a rotation about FG and therefore cause a couple in the z direction only?

Attachments

• 4.122.png
    4.122.png
    10 KB · Views: 581
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget the force from the rope. It goes in a different direction.

1. What are moments and couples in the context of physics?

Moments and couples are terms used in physics to describe the forces and torques (rotational forces) acting on an object. Moments refer to the turning effect of a force, while couples refer to a pair of equal and opposite forces acting on the same line of action.

2. How do moments and couples affect an object's motion?

Moments and couples can cause an object to rotate or change its direction of motion. They can also cause an object to be in a state of equilibrium, where the forces and torques acting on it are balanced and there is no net change in motion.

3. What is the direction of a couple?

The direction of a couple is perpendicular to the plane formed by the two equal and opposite forces. This direction is also known as the axis or line of action of the couple.

4. How can I calculate the moment of a couple?

The moment of a couple can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of one of the forces by the perpendicular distance between the forces. This distance is measured along the axis or line of action of the couple.

5. How can intuition be helpful in understanding moments and couples?

Intuition can be helpful in understanding moments and couples by providing a conceptual understanding of how forces and torques interact to affect an object's motion. It can also aid in visualizing and predicting the direction and magnitude of moments and couples in different situations.