1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need a little intuition my way regarding moments and direction of couples

1. Oct 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The assembly shown is used to control the tension T in a tape that passes around a frictionless spool at E. Collar C is welded to rods ABC and CDE. It can rotate about shaft FG but its motion along the shaft is prevented by a washer S. For the loading shown, determine (a) the tension T in the tape, (b) the reaction at C.

2. Relevant equations
    In the solution manual it says the reactions are as follows, C = <Cx,Cy,Cz> and M=<0,My,Mz>
    Actually, C i kind of understand it, but not tally sure, and M i have no clue…

3. The attempt at a solution
    I Just need help regarding the direction of the forces and couples.
    My understanding is that because there's a welded connection, the weld will provide support from moving the rods, therefore the reaction at C goes in the x,y and z directions. However, if theres a vertical downforce at the end of the rod ( 6 lb) wouldn't that cause a rotation about FG and therefore cause a couple in the z direction only???

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Don't forget the force from the rope. It goes in a different direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted