I figuring out what to do at University

In summary, the person is planning to enroll in a Physics course at University, but their high school courses only include Pre-Calculus, Biology, and Chemistry. They have started Calculus in their spare time and are looking for ways to improve their Physics knowledge before starting University. Suggestions include using online resources like Khan Academy and reading an easy physics book, such as "Conceptual Physics" by Paul Hewitt. There is also a suggestion to consider taking a Calculus course in the first semester to get a head start for year 2.
ShellDough
I am heading off to University in September, and I need help figuring something out. I want to enroll in a Physics course, except the only High School courses I have taken have been Pre-Calculus, Biology, and Chemistry. I have also started Calculus in my spare time. Is there any online courses or something that I can take over the summer to help get my Physics knowledge up to date for University?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you test out of your math requirements for the school? First year physics shouldn't have too much calculus. Just intermediate algebra. I would however take a calculus class first semester to get a head start for year 2.

You can use https://www.khanacademy.org/

Most engineering majors take physics with their first Calculus course. You should be fine to take calculus based physics upon arrival. The course will rely or build upon your other class work as you progress ie you won't get problems you are not ready to solve.

As for prep work over the summer, look for an easy physics book to read with simple to moderate difficulty (or consider buying the text used at the university, but will probably be calculus based and problem heavy). And just read the first 3-5 chapters and tackle some of the easier problems. I kind of hesitate to recommend the buying and reading the college class textbook though as you may then become bored with the material when you are actually in the class. Not the best way to start off and learning good study techniques.

I really suggest to buy Paul Hewett's book "Conceptual Physics" as it is an easy read for the level of Physics you seem to be at. Presents lots of physics without being to detailed and won't burden you with heavy mathematics. It is more for the non-technical major, but could encourage the entry level freshman with a nice introduction to physics.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll talk to the University about Calculus first year, and I'll read the book CalcNerd suggested. Thanks for the insight!

1. What should I consider when choosing a University?

When figuring out what to do at University, it is important to consider factors such as the location, academic programs offered, reputation, campus life, and cost. You should also think about your career goals and whether the University has resources and opportunities to help you achieve them.

2. How do I determine which major to pursue?

Choosing a major can be a daunting decision, but it is important to think about your interests, strengths, and future career prospects. Consider taking classes in different subjects to see what you enjoy and excel in. You can also talk to academic advisors and career counselors for guidance.

3. Is it better to live on or off campus?

This depends on personal preferences and financial considerations. Living on campus can offer a more immersive college experience and easy access to campus resources, but it may be more expensive. Living off campus may provide more independence and potentially lower costs, but you may miss out on some aspects of campus life.

4. How can I manage my time effectively at University?

Time management is crucial in University, as you will have to balance academics, extracurricular activities, and possibly work. Some tips for effective time management include creating a schedule, prioritizing tasks, and avoiding procrastination. It is also important to take breaks and make time for self-care.

5. What resources are available to help me succeed at University?

Universities offer a variety of resources to help students succeed, such as academic advising, tutoring services, writing centers, and counseling services. You can also join study groups, attend workshops, and seek help from professors. Don't be afraid to reach out for support when needed.