Electromechanical vs. Mechanical Engineering

In summary, the individuals in this conversation are discussing their interests in teaching math and physics, as well as their potential career paths in mechanical engineering and physics. They are also seeking advice on which courses and experiences would be most beneficial for their future goals.
ovoleg
What do you guys about these two professions?

I am leaning toward teaching Math, however, I am unsure if I will enjoy teaching students who do not wish to learn.

I found physics to be interesting, but I must admit that I am not really good at it. I know what I am doing(to a point), however, the harder problems stump me and I literally have no idea how to solve some of them. I haven't taken any engineering courses so my idea might change. I just took the newbie Physics for Engineers course.

I am pretty good at math and I find it pretty interesting. I can study math for 4+ hours without getting overly tired.

I just want to hear your opinions on this. For teaching, I am hoping for something around high school level.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello all,

I'm currently entering my second year of a Bachelor of Mechanical Systems degree, hoping to move into Masters of Mechanical or Mechatronics engineering.

I've got to decide on a science elective and I've got it down to two:

Thermal and Classical Physics:
This subject extends knowledge of fundamental thermal physics principles and introduces the powerful and elegant Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulations of classical mechanics. Topics from thermal physics include thermal equilibrium, ideal gas and kinetic theory, equipartition of energy, heat and work, heat capacity, latent heat, enthalpy, thermodynamic processes; thermal systems and statistics, interacting systems, statistics of large systems, entropy, temperature and heat, pressure, chemical potential; heat engines, Carnot cycle, refrigerators, throttling process; Helmholtz and Gibbs Free energies, and phase transformations. In classical physics, topics will include elementary principles (Newton’s laws, momentum and energy conservation, mechanics of systems of particles), Lagrange’s equations (constraints and generalized coordinates, Lagrange’s equations, velocity dependent and dissipative forces, applications, symmetries and conservation laws, stability and oscillations) and Hamilton’s principle (calculus of variation, applications, Hamilton’s principle, Legendre transformations)

or

Quantum Mechanics and Special Relativity
This subject introduces students to two key concepts in physics: quantum mechanics and Einstein’s theory of special relativity. Quantum mechanics topics include the quantum theory of light, the particle nature of matter, matter waves, quantum mechanics in one dimension and tunneling phenomena. Special relativity topics will include the foundations of special relativity, spacetime invariance, simultaneity, and Minkowski diagrams, relativistic kinematics, the Doppler effect, relativistic dynamics, and nuclear reactions.​

My question is, which subject would be most beneficial for my major? I'm guessing the Thermal/Classical Physics will be beneficial for a mech engineering major, but you hear a lot these days of nanotech and such things, and I'm thinking that quantum mech could be of some use or other.

Any help greatly appreciated.

I graduated with a B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering (2009) from India(One of Premier Engineering Institutes in India).Since I am very interested in Physics I want to pursue Ph.D in Physics, I have taken a year off to get more exposure in Physics and currently I am researching on Soft matter Physics at One of Premier Research Institutes in India (will be working till July 2010). I am giving Subject GRE(Physics) this November(Confident of getting a good score). I am also doing a course on Theoretical/Mathematical Physics and Certificate Course on AstroPhysics during the weekends.Although during my Engineering I couldn't take Physics Courses(although Mechanical Engineering is perhaps the closest to Physics amongst all Engineering Streams I reckon),I have taken plenty of math courses. Besides this I have plenty of Research & Design Experience in the field of Engineering.
I was wondering whether I can Directly apply for a Ph.D (Physics) in United States(depends on whether i am eligible and availability of funding) or to apply for a MS in Physics(not sure whether International Students are Funded) and then go for a PhD.

This is my first post..Pls Guide me...:wink:

Im an EE starting his 3rd year and after LONG MONTHS deciding between Civil and Mechanical Engineering i came to my senses today and turned in all the documentation that was needed to switch my major to ME from EE. I feel extremely relieved, i feel that the opportunity that ME gives me, i will be able to work in both civil and mechanical fields as well as electrical. It seems that the jack of all trades was a huge attraction for me. I enjoy Mechanics as right now I am taking Statics which is by far my favorite class right now.

Now there's a good chance that i will specialize under Structures through Mechanical Engineering but it all depends. Or go into the Energy Conversion/Power Plant Engineering area of ME which i find extremely interesting.

Hi Everyone,

I did my bachelors in mechanical engineering about 7 years back and started a post-graduate course on mechanical design sometime back. But I was unable to complete that because I had to move to another city. But during that course I found the subject 'Theory of Plasticity' very interesting. All that mathematics and plastic deformation phenomena related to metal forming really intrigued me.

Now I have a choice to either get a degree in post-graduate mechanical engineering or metallurgy. What I would like to know is whether my subject of interest lies more in the domain of mechanical engineering or metallurgy. I don't know how this area is studied in metallurgical science; whether the manufacturing aspects are studied only or the mathematical depth of plastic deformation is also studied. I just want to pursue the right post-graduate course which would give me a better understanding, knowledge, and a chance of pursuing higher research in metal plastic deformation after I am done with my post-graduate studies.

Any kind of suggestion would help. Many thanks in advance :)

Farhan

I'm a sophomore right now majoring in ME, but I'm wondering if I should do a Co-op to get experience in the actual field. But will this help me as much as pure research when I apply to top grad schools in the US? What about internships?

Basically I'm asking if I should be seeking pre-career experience vs. research experience if I want to get into a Mechanical Engineering grad school... Or possibly a combination of both is the best? And what do you guys suggest to be the best option?

Thanks a lot in advance!

I tested out of high school and I'm about to go into my second semester at community college. My school requires me to submit an academic plan by the second quarter of my second semester and I figured that I would start to brainstorm now before I get there.Some background about my possibilities for college:

--I'm in California and I would like to stay in California for when I finally transfer. My college has an agreement with UC Davis, Irvine, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Merced, and Riverside. Basically, if I get all of the lower division coursework finished for whatever major at whatever university, I am guaranteed acceptance into the university. The only colleges that interest me of all of those are Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara, and Davis.--

(Santa Cruz only has an electrical engineering program, so if I were to go there it would be for the sake of electrical engineering. Otherwise, I don't know what college I want to go to. Over the last couple of weeks I've been considering Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, but I don't want to commit to a major, find out I like a different branch of engineering or that I'd rather pursue a science, and then be stuck in a program I don't have a passion for. (SLO is notorious for the extreme difficulty to change your major.))

More or less, from my major, I'd like to gain skills that will be able to use outside of work. I'd like to be able to know how to generate electricity. I'd like to be able to know how to purify water. I would love to be able to invent any sort of gadget or knick-nack I could think of. I would prefer a "core" branch instead of something more specialized. I'll leave the specialization to graduate school.

When I was first considering engineering, I wanted to go into electrical engineering @ Santa Cruz, but after awhile I realized I wanted something more diverse and more about systems as a whole, and how things interact instead of just the circuits and such. (Perhaps, however, I misunderstand electrical engineering; a synopsis of the core branches would be helpful.)

I would like to go to graduate school some time after getting my bachelors. Not sure for what; maybe another engineering degree, maybe a law degree. I haven't decided.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am from India, and i have graduated in mechanical engineering in 2010. Since then i have been working, performing IT systems audit. I like the job but, I think i would be happier(Joy of Understanding - Rattleback?!) in physics. I would like to pursue a graduate degree (MSc) in plasma physics and finally work on fusion. I have taken a look at various universities (US and Europe) and understand that i have a lot of ground to cover before i can understand Plasma Physics.

Now, i have two options

1) Take up a 1 year masters course at university of York(UK) - Plasma Physics (Taught Course) and then apply for an integrated PhD course in the US.

2) Start at the Undergraduate Level and complete a Physics Major and then apply for a masters.

I understand that the 2nd option is the ideal, but then time becomes a factor as well as i am 22 years old.

What do you guys think i should do? Is there any other option? Let me Know

Just to give you context - My college is in the top 30 in the country. I averaged a 75% on my BE. and my research(as part of the course) was in Tensegrity.

Hi physics forums!

I am currently a third year mechanical engineering student and I've recently been thinking voraciously about a job when I graduate.

I've done several internships (one working with solar power equipment, another designing parts of an aircraft...) and they've been fun, but I'm trying to hunt down jobs out there that allow you to utilize your engineering skills and principles of engineering mechanics but also have some sort of active component to them (not necessarily extremely physical, just more than sitting at a desk all day)?

I've been looking at different opportunities in the energy sector, I'm kind of obsessed with thermodynamics at the moment, and I was wondering if maybe alternative energy companies have any sort of jobs for engineers that require physical activity on a daily basis (on your feet more than at the computer)?

Does anyone have sectors/jobs in mind where you can use your engineering skills on a daily basis in a more active environment than a cubicle?

I appreciate any feedback! Thanks in advance!

-mecheng212

Hello everyone, I'm a bit new to PF so bear with me here.

I'm currently a senior in high school and I've been dead set on a ME degree since 8th grade, however I recently discovered that one of my main school choices offers electromechanical engineering as a major. Since I also have a growing interest in all things electrical, I'm considering that as a possibility.

Apart from the obvious fact that electromechanical incorporates elements from both EE and ME, I'm looking for some insight about generally how in-depth each element (EE and ME) is in the program vs. a pure EE or ME degree.

Also, I'm wondering how this differs from ME with a minor in EE, or vice versa. Are there any electromechanical engineer grads out there who wish they took this path instead? Are there any who are glad they chose electromechanical?

Any input on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Hey all. So I'm at a point in my life where I have to make some serious decisions about what I want to do. Here's a quick sum up:
Graduated from high school with mediocre grades, 72% average. Bad home situation.
Graduated from university with a 3 year B.Sc Biology degree in 2005 with a B average.
My mother passed away during the third year of my degree, making me complete the degree in 5 years as opposed to 3.
I worked entry level jobs from 2005 to 2008 unrelated to my degree while i binge drank and dealt with anxiety brought on by my mothers death. At one point it got so bad where I did physical harm to myself and was admitted to the hospital.
I returned to school in 2008 and attempted a computer science degree, only to get destroyed by the math requirements - I got an A in linear algebra and then a F in Calc, followed by a D in Calc. Thinking back, I realize that I stopped trying in math right around grade 10 or 11, probably why there's such a difference between the two courses.
In 2010 I switched out of comp sci and into the arts, thinking that's where my natural inclination lies. Also in 2010, my father was diagnosed with stage 3b colo-rectal cancer and underwent chemo and rad treatment. I'm essentially his caregiver now - he recently had a fall and has double vision and a severe loss of mobility. He can only walk 50 meters before needing assistance.
In 2011, I dropped out of second year english with A's across the board, simply because I didn't care, and thought I couldn't see myself doing something useful in the field or getting a stable job with the degree.

Now I'm turning 30, and I need a job, and something that's not entry level. I'd like to do something science related, with a physics component. I've been thinking about going back to school and doing a 4 year in physics but right now, with my academic history, I don't think it's really an option. I've been thinking about Mechanical Engineering Technology or Electrician. In Canada, a journeyman electrician tops out between 65-75000. A mech tech is slightly higher depending on which company you work for, but sounds like it tops out around 70-80000. The electrician program is 10 months and will give me level 1 and 2 apprenticeship schooling of 4 levels. The mech tech program is 28 months, and starting wage is 42000. A level 3 electrician apprentice makes around 43-48000, which is what I'd be approximately after 36 months. I'm kind of leaning towards Electrician simply because of the shorter program. Worst case is I work for a few years, and decide on something else. Mech tech is a little longer and even being in school for another 2.5 years and not entirely sure about something makes me second guess myself. But with mech tech, there's the option of bridging into an engineering program, but again, I'm not sure if that's what I want to do.

I'm not even sure why I'm writing this - I feel like I just kind of made my decision. LOL. Or maybe I just needed to vent. I guess I'd like to hear what others think given my academic history. And how much physics do you actually use as an electrician? Thanks guys.

i'm currently in the middle of my mechanical engineering degree , but I'm accually getting more and more interested in environmental engineering , can i work as an environmental engineer after graduation, is there relations between the two ...i'd really like to work in an outdoor setting and am very interested in the environment but i feel that mechanical engineering curriculum are a bit deficient in biology compared to environmental, can I maybe go to grad school in environmental with my mechanical degree ,and if I do would I be at a disadvantage to those who studied environmental or maybe, civil or chemical engineering, What advice would you give me in this situation ,thank you for your time .

hey guys, I've recently just got my early acceptance to Waterloo mechanical engineering and it has got me thinking about which university i should narrow my sights onto.

Long story short, I am an Ontario high school student who wishes to go to one of the top engineering universities that are Canada bound (Excluding UBC and U of Alberta due to expense)

Waterloo has been my top choice for a while, hearing it is one of the top universities, having great co-op, small classes, and SUPPRISINGLY I like the campus most out of all of the ones above (not a fan of fancy pants ivy buildings).

However, I've recently been hearing that Waterloo's claim to fame is their electrical, software and computer engineering. This being said, how would the mechanical engineering be there? How would it compare to U of T or Queens? Would i be settling for a lower tier university if i go to UW for mechanical as apposed to it's competitors?

Secondly, I've heard that it's harder to go into graduate studies at a GOOD American university from Waterloo as compared to Queens or U of T. I've heard that people from Queens (engineering in particular) can get into places like Berkley relatively easier than the others. Is this true to any extent? And if it is easier, would it still be possible to get into those schools from Waterloo?

Third, I have been finding that Waterloo has been ranked relatively low compared to Queens and U of T in the field of engineering in magazines like mcleans. Even though Waterloo is lower, lots of people conciser it one of (or the actual) best engineering school in Canada. I know tons of it is preference, but do people recognize Waterloo as one of the best engineering schools? If so, why would it be lower in the ratings? If it is a bit worse than the others, would it still be in the top tier of Canadian engineering universities for mechanical engineering?

And finally, how hard will it be to find an international job if i graduate from Waterloo? Would it be easier in Queens or U of T just because people recognize the universities more?

I know my questions are a bit wordy, so i thank anyone who is willing to help me all :)!

P.S. Lots of people (including students and Prof's) tell me not to go to U of T engineering because they feel like a number. Is this true relative to Waterloo or Queens?
EDIT: I am applying to mechanical engineering at all of these universities, no other type.

Last edited:
Biochemistry -->Master's in mechanical engineering advice

So I am basically at a road block in my life, unsure of what I want to do and unsure of what TO do. I graduated with a BS in Biochemistry from a decent school, and most people with my major were pursuing health professions or medicine. But I realized none of that really inspires or appeals to me. I am looking to get into engineering (particularly mechanical), but I don't want to start over again and do another bachelor's. I already have a big loan debt from my first degree, and doing another bachelor's knowing that I will probably end up going to grad school later as well would be too much.

I actually applied to the BU LEAP program (accelerated engineering master's program) and got in for Fall, but unfortunately, I did not get any aid, and tuition costs would be waaaaay too much. I can not make it work at all. I'm not sure what to do now, because that was the only school I applied to, and it seems to be the only program that will allow me to transition smoothly into a master's program of ME with a non-engineering background.

I completed all the math and physics requirements already, and I really just need the UD coursework from ME. I was thinking about taking some courses at a local university or CC and then try to apply to other Master's programs in ME. Would that be a possible plan? I'm not exactly sure how schools will take it that I don't have that BS in eng degree.

Am I being realistic with this goal? I just can't do biology or research anymore, and tried to look for different outlets to get into with my background like business, but no employer will take me seriously having a biology background. My degree seems to only serve me well if I did health or medicine.

Any suggestions on making this change? or on possible career paths I could kind of transition into without having to start over? I appreciate any and all advice!

So I'm a sophomore planning on changing my major from a health care major to Mechanical Engineering. I just want to get someone else's input that's already in the field. I just have a few questions to make sure I am making the right career choice. Of course I am going to meet with my advisor at school, but they don't know everything. But here's a few quick questions: How is the long-term job security? What's the job market like down south? In know Texas has NASA and all the Major oil/gas companies. Is there anything you would warn me about, anything you would change if you could?

Thank you for your input!

Alright so I am 22 years old and if all goes according to plan will graduate with a degree in Civil Engineering this upcoming May (I'd be 23). Recently I have been having second thoughts about my career choice though. I am currently interning at this cement contracting company and absolutely hate it (We pretty much do concrete floors, curbs at gutters etc.).

I originally chose civil because I thought out of all the engineering disiplines it was the most "creative". I realize there is obviously more to civil than what I've done at my internship but I am seriously contemplating transfering to mechanical engineering which would make me 24 years old when I graduate. I never really had one thing in mind that interested me within civil, but thought along my way I would find my niche within the program.

This evidently has not happened and I am at a cross roads right now. I feel like mechanical engineering would give me more oppourtunities in the future, including the option of getting back into a civil field if I choose to but don't know if this would be the best decision. I've always been someone who has been interested in how things work, but not one thing or field in particular (if that makes sense). Does anyone else feel this way, and if so what did you major in/currently majoring in?

Grades are not an issue for me as my GPA has increased each of the last 3 semesters (all engineering courses. Some of these courses were actually ME courses too(Thermo and statics of materials)). I currently have a 3.2, but I feel like whatever decision I choose to make (Stay in civil, switch to mechanical) I will have regrets and second guess myself and my grades could take a hit as a result. Can anyone accurately compare the difficulty of upper level undergrad courses of Civil vs. Mechanical and has anyone been in a similar situation to this and can offer some guidance to me? My mind is just completely spinning on what to do and I am switching back and forth a mile a minute. I guess one thing that is holding me back is what everyone will think of me if I do switch. I have friends that are already getting jobs or going to grad school and that is an unsettling feeling.

Also, If it makes any difference I am at a Top 10 university for both Civil and Mechanical
engineering. Just need some opinions from all angles at this point so I might be able to think a bit more clearly. Maybe there is something I am not looking into enough? I feel like I could be happy with the right job in the civil engineering field but think I could find ME even more enjoyable but am really unsure at this point.

Hey everyone, so I know aerospace vs mechanical has been discussed to death, but I want your opinion anyway. I'm currently finishing up an ME undergrad degree and am exploring my options for grad school. I have some experience in combustion research and find it worthwhile enough. My interests also lie in the field of space exploration. Thus, propulsion engineering seems to be a good fit between the two and a field I could see myself in.

My dilemma is that it seems that most combustion/propulsion research is done on the mechanical side, so that makes me think I should stay in mechanical. However, looking at potential courses, I see a lot more on the aerospace side that I would like to take. I realize there's a lot of grey area to work with in there, but should one of those things trump the other in deciding between mechanical and aerospace? Is it reasonable to expect that if I'm an ME at a school that has an aero program, I could still take a lot of those aero courses as part of my masters program?

Also, I was thinking it might be more difficult to get into a prestigious grad school switching from mech to aero as opposed to sticking with my native mech. Is there any truth to that?

Thanks!

Hey all, i have been thinking about getting into mechanical engineering. I want to go into aerospace OR mechatronics and robotics so I'm thinking mechanical engineering would give me more options over mechatronics and robotics because i don't know if i am leaning more towards aerospace or robotics for graduate school.

Here is what i have been looking at and i am hoping i can get some input

http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/635ddiplt#courses

This is a 2 year diploma in which afterwards i have the option of transferring to UBC or UVIC to complete my degree which i am planning on doing. How does this program look? Does it look similar to other university's first 2 years? will i be in any disadvantage, educational-wise?

Here is also the mechatronics and robotics diploma

http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/7340diplt#courses

i am leaning more towards mechanical engineering so i can either go into mechatronics OR aerospace. but i would love to here input and it will help me out a lot.

Thanks!

I'm a senior in high school currently taking AP Physics BC (mechanics) without having taken a physics course previously. I normally do well in my classes as I'm 10th in my class and am taking the most difficult level of classes I can. I can't say this for my AP physics class, which I currently have a 78% in. I'm genuinely trying and am not seeing any real results.

What I have learned is that I need better resources to study for the class as a whole because my textbook doesn't really give me a lot of explanations or difficult questions to practice from. The difficulty of his (the teacher's) test questions really throw me off just because we haven't really done any questions like that in class. Also, the AP test review books don't really help either since they assume you have already learned the content. I approached him about this and he gave me this book called "Schaum's Outlines: College Physics" which contains a lot of practice questions on various concepts, which is helpful but I feel like I could find a better resource to study from so I don't have to waste 3 hours of my time consolidating and searching for resources to study from each time we have a test.

So, my question: where can I find a good resource that has a variety of challenging questions to help strengthen my grade in my AP Physics BC (mechanics) class. When I say challenging questions I mean questions that help make you a better problem solver, cover various scenarios, but still stay in the realm of a high school class (questions that are difficult but can be solved with the knowledge gained from the class). So instead of asking what the kinetic friction given the coefficient and normal force, they ask what the kinetic friction is in a difficult case taking previously learned concepts into account and putting in more variables in -- like having 3 unidentical blocks together, connected by strings, each on platforms with different angles and having the front being pushed by a force with a 20 degree angle and having to determine the kinetic friction of each block, the acceleration of the system, and the tension in each of the strings. Sorry if that was a lot; I just wanted to give you a good idea of what I'm talking about :D. I apologize if this is in the wrong forum; I thought this was the most appropriate. I also appreciate any answers given and thank you for your time.

I've been doing some research on nuclear engineering curricula and have narrowed down a couple universities of interest. The first, Penn State, offers a major in Nuclear Engineering. The other school of interest, University of Maryland, offers a major in Mechanical Engineering with a Nuclear Engineering minor. The latter feels more robust after looking through the course catalogs, however I am very much more interested in the nuclear side of things. Maybe if a minor was combined with the NE major it would feel more competitive (though I don't know what a good complementary minor would be). If I am really hell bent on nuclear stuff, should I skip over an ME major? The things I am very interested in learning about are plasma physics, fusion, and radiation effects. The ME topics that sound most interesting to me are thermodynamics and fluid mechanics. These seem to be commonly included in the NE world anyway.

Or perhaps I am looking at the wrong schools for these things? I don't want to venture too far from home. I am also a prior college student that has been working for a few years (didn't have great grades my first time around) so the chances of shooting for a technical school like MIT are nil.

Last edited:
I'm in need of some pointers in deciding whether or not to stay in Dynamics (it's @ a CC) because I haven't taken Statics yet (I can still get refund as of now). Although I can do the math, sometimes I find myself stuck on the concepts. I'm willing to put in work (I'm a hard worker) but the time constraint may be an issue (It is a six week summer class, new chapter every class, twice a week). If I decide to drop I guess I'll take Statics during the Fall but I will have to take Dynamics and Str Materials at the same time in the Spring (Might be a pain in the rear but I will have Physics II, Statics, and Vector Calc under my belt).

I appreciate any advice you can give.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I'm a recent Mathematics graduate and am very interested in starting a career in the private space industry within the next few years. As such, I'm looking to study in the US next year and was thinking of going for something along the lines of Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering. My only concern is that I'll have to start from square one again which is why I've come here for your help.

Ideally what I'd like to be able to do is find a university that allows a science student interested in engineering to complete a 1-2 year fast-track or catchup program, covering core courses which would then allow them to move onto obtaining an MEng or MSc in Engineering, but so far the only program I've found that resembles this is Boston University's LEAP program (http://www.bu.edu/eng/academics/special-programs/leap/), and a mention on Princeton's Engineering and Applied Sciences Graduate FAQ page (http://www.princeton.edu/engineering/graduate/prospective/faq/#faq5) that you do not need to have completed a degree in an engineering field to apply to the school.

My next step is to phone particular engineering departments and ask them if they have any specialized programs, but before I go down that route I thought I might be able to find some good information here. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
b c

Hello everybody.

As the title suggests, I received my undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering. I was accepted into a mechanical engineering master's program, specifically in the field of dynamics and control. All of a sudden, an opportunity jumps at me. I learned about a program that I did not know existed at my university. It's an expanded M.S. Computer Science program aimed at students who have an engineering/math/science/non-CS background.

The first semester is a foundational semester with the following 3 classes:

Computer Systems Organization
Foundations of Artificial Science
Introduction to Programming Systems Design

I have to average a 3.0 to stay in the program, or else I fall back to the dynamics and control program (not a bad plan B, but it is a wasted semester of time and tuition).

Anyways, I extremely excited for the opportunity as Computer Science is a subject that I have always been fascinated by. Through my internship work this summer, I have been exposed to satellite flight software written in C. On my own, I've done minor mobile application development in C#/XAML. But overall, the only formal education I've had for a programming language is MATLAB.

I guess I'm making this thread to see if anybody went through a similar situation. I'm extremely excited but extremely nervous! I'm spending the next few weeks working through the book "Invitation to Computer Science" 6th edition and even paid for the extra lab course that comes with it.

Thanks!

So I went to a local community college straight out of high school, and received an associates in science-transfer. I didn't really know what I wanted to do at the time, except that I wanted to go into the physical sciences. After getting my associates I got into a four year college, and I've decided on becoming a mechanical engineer. Obviously this doesn't match with my associates degree. Will my associates in science transfer be worth anything in the job market, or did I go to school an extra two years for nothing? any feedback is much appreciated.

I'm looking to transfer to one of these universities for a BS in mechanical engineering to work in the defense/ space industry:

-Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
-Cal Poly Pomona
-San Jose State University
-UC Berkeley
-UC Davis
-UC Santa Barbara
-UC Irvine
-Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Prescott (accepted as ME w/ propulsion concentration + $7500/yr scholarship)
-University of Arizona (accepted as ME)
-Boise State University (accepted as ME)
-Texas A&M

Please LIST them because I am trying to prioritize the schools as I receive decisions. Also, please provide reasoning if possible. Also, I am a California resident.

Any help will be very much appreciated!

Hey there people,

I will be starting my junior year in the mechanical engineering department, and they say is the hardest one throughout the 4 years, I will be taking Fluid Mechanics, Theory of Machines 1, Machine Elements 1, Heat transfer , Principles of economics, Numerical methods, and Turkish Langauge 1. Having passed the two years, I already know that hard work needs to be put, and there is no short cut to success. What I am asking is the extra tips for these courses, what I need to be careful from and stuff. Links , youtube videos that might be helpful to me , I would be very thankful if you would share them with me. Looking forward hearing from you.

I want to pursue Int M.Sc Phd in physics. I am in 5th sem B.E Mechanical, under Bangalore University. What are the exams that I can attend? Can I attend after one year or after graduation ?
Note: This is related to education in India

1. What is the main difference between electromechanical and mechanical engineering?

The main difference between electromechanical and mechanical engineering is that electromechanical engineering combines the principles of both electrical and mechanical engineering, while mechanical engineering focuses solely on the design and operation of physical systems and machines.

2. What are some common applications for electromechanical engineering?

Electromechanical engineering is commonly used in industries such as robotics, aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing to design and develop complex systems that involve both electrical and mechanical components. Some examples of applications include electric motors, sensors, actuators, and automated control systems.

3. What skills are needed for a career in electromechanical engineering?

To be successful in electromechanical engineering, one must have a strong foundation in both electrical and mechanical engineering principles. Additionally, skills in computer-aided design (CAD), programming, and project management are also important for designing and implementing electromechanical systems.

4. How does the job market differ for electromechanical and mechanical engineers?

The job market for electromechanical engineers is typically more specialized and focused on specific industries, while mechanical engineers have a wider range of job opportunities in various fields such as HVAC, manufacturing, and energy. However, both fields are in high demand and offer competitive salaries.

5. Are there any specific challenges that come with being an electromechanical engineer?

One challenge of being an electromechanical engineer is the complexity of designing and integrating both electrical and mechanical components into a single system. This requires a high level of technical knowledge and problem-solving skills. Additionally, as technology continues to advance, keeping up with new developments and staying current with industry trends can also be a challenge.