Need Help with Algebra Story Problem - Big and Little Jesse Walking

• Thread starter GuMdRop
  • Start date
In summary, a student is asking for help with a difficult algebra problem involving two people named Big Jesse and Little Jesse. The problem involves their steps and when their left feet will touch the ground at the same time. The student is asking for an explanation and is due to turn in the answer on Monday. The solution can be found by using a rules squared sheet of paper and making a sketch to determine how many steps it will take for their left feet to touch the ground at the same time.
GuMdRop
I Need Help Immediatly!

I have another stupid algebra story problem that is really hard for me and might be easy for others. If you come up with the answer please tell me, or give me clues on how to figure the problem out. The teacher is asking for an explanation to go with the answer to! DUE MONDAY!

Big Jesse takes 2 steps for every 3 steps that Little Jesse takes. To bein walking, they each step forward on their right foot at exactly the same time. When will their left feet touch the ground at exactly the same time??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
GuMdRop said:
I have another stupid algebra story problem that is really hard for me and might be easy for others. If you come up with the answer please tell me, or give me clues on how to figure the problem out. The teacher is asking for an explanation to go with the answer to! DO MONDAY!

Big Jesse takes 2 steps for every 3 steps that Little Jesse takes. To bein walking, they each step forward on their right foot at exactly the same time. When will their left feet touch the ground at exactly the same time??

Come on, you can do this easily!

You do not even need Algebra for that!

Use a rules squared sheet of paper, start at the same line with little and big Jesse beside each other and:

let little Jesse first take 2 squares with this right foot, then 2 with his left etc.
let big Jesse first take 3 squares with his right foot, then 3 with his left etc.

then you will see after how many steps their left feet touch the ground at the same time.

With this sort of mathematics questions, if you do not see the number solution, always make a sketch!

Cheers,
RobertH

Last edited:

Sure, I'd be happy to help you with this algebra story problem. Let's break it down step by step.

First, let's define some variables to represent the steps taken by Big Jesse and Little Jesse. We'll call Big Jesse's steps "b" and Little Jesse's steps "l".

Next, we know that Big Jesse takes 2 steps for every 3 steps that Little Jesse takes. This can be represented as the ratio b:l = 2:3.

Now, let's think about the steps they take together. They both start by stepping forward with their right foot at the same time. This means that their first step is taken simultaneously. Then, Big Jesse takes 2 steps while Little Jesse takes 3 steps. This means that after their first step, Big Jesse will have taken 2 more steps than Little Jesse. So, we can represent this as b - l = 2.

Finally, we know that we are trying to find the time when their left feet touch the ground at the same time. This means that the number of steps taken by each of them must be equal at that time. So, we can set b = l.

Now, we have a system of equations:
b:l = 2:3
b - l = 2
b = l

We can solve this system by substitution. First, we can rearrange the first equation to solve for b in terms of l:
b = (2/3)l

Then, we can substitute this value for b into the other equations:
(2/3)l - l = 2
(2/3)l - (3/3)l = 2
-(1/3)l = 2
l = -6

Now, we know that l represents the number of steps taken by Little Jesse. Since we can't have a negative number of steps, we know that our answer must be incorrect. This means that there is no solution to this problem.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the problem better. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your assignment!

What is the meaning of "I Need Help Immediatly"?

"I Need Help Immediatly" is a phrase that is commonly used to express a sense of urgency or immediate need for assistance. It can be used in a variety of situations, from personal emergencies to professional requests for help.

What should I do if I see someone who says "I Need Help Immediatly"?

If you encounter someone who says "I Need Help Immediatly", it is important to assess the situation and determine if immediate action is necessary. If the person appears to be in danger or is experiencing a medical emergency, call 911 or seek help from a nearby authority figure. If the situation is less urgent, offer to help in any way you can or refer the person to appropriate resources.

Why do people use the phrase "I Need Help Immediatly" instead of simply saying "I need help"?

The addition of the word "immediatly" emphasizes the urgency of the situation and conveys a sense of immediacy. It can also serve as a call for immediate action or attention, rather than a request for help that can be addressed at a later time.

Are there any other phrases or words that have a similar meaning to "I Need Help Immediatly"?

Yes, there are several other phrases that can convey a similar sense of urgency, such as "Emergency!", "Help me now!", or "Urgent assistance needed". The specific phrase used may vary depending on the context and the urgency of the situation.

What can I do to prepare for a situation where I might need to say "I Need Help Immediatly"?

It is always a good idea to have a plan in place for emergencies or situations where you may need immediate help. This can include having emergency contacts readily available, knowing where to find help in your community, and having basic first aid knowledge. It is also important to stay calm and assess the situation before asking for help or taking action.