I minimizing the cost of this building? immediate help

• Thread starter geekysayra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Building
In summary: The cost of the building would be $225,000 if the dimensions were y the width was x and the radius was x. In summary, if the dimensions were y the width was x and the radius was x, the cost of the building would be $225,000.
geekysayra
i need help minimizing the cost of this building? immediate help pleasez

A university has decided to build a new, creative dorm! After a contest to determine the shape, it was decided that the dorm would be in the shape of an airplane hangar that has semicircular ends. There is an additional stipulation: the volume of the dorm must be exactly 225,000 cubic feet.

the dorm is going to look like a cylinder cut vertically in half. the height is y the width is x and the radius is x

Part 1
The university is in the planning stages with the architects now, and they would obviously like to minimize the cost of the building. This is where the university needs your help. Currently, the construction costs for the foundation are $30 per square foot, the sides (the two ends) cost $20 per square foot to construct, and the roofing cost $15 per square. The university needs your expert advice on what the dimensions of the building should be to minimize the total cost.

Determine the optimal dimensions and and the minimized cost, under these conditions

ps. there is an attachment that shows what the dorm will look like and its dimensions

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi geekysayra! Welcome to PF! :wink:

What equation have you got for the cost of any particular design? :smile:

well the that's the problem i wasn't given an equation, that was all i was given. that really sucks, i don't somebody is going to be able to help me because i can't even help myself lol

geekysayra said:
well the that's the problem i wasn't given an equation, that was all i was given. that really sucks, i don't somebody is going to be able to help me because i can't even help myself lol

Just make an equation from this:
the construction costs for the foundation are $30 per square foot, the sides (the two ends) cost $20 per square foot to construct, and the roofing cost $15 per square

1. What is the purpose of minimizing the cost of a building?

The purpose of minimizing the cost of a building is to reduce the amount of money spent on constructing or maintaining the building. This can help save resources and make the building more affordable for those who will use it.

2. How do you determine the cost of a building?

The cost of a building is determined by considering various factors such as materials, labor, design, location, and any additional expenses. A cost estimate can be created by analyzing the costs of each factor and adding them together.

3. What are some strategies for minimizing the cost of a building?

Some strategies for minimizing the cost of a building include using cost-effective materials, optimizing the building design for energy efficiency, reducing waste during construction, and negotiating prices with contractors and suppliers.

4. What are the potential benefits of minimizing the cost of a building?

The potential benefits of minimizing the cost of a building include saving money, reducing the environmental impact of construction, making the building more affordable for users, and increasing the return on investment for the building owner.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to minimizing the cost of a building?

One potential drawback of minimizing the cost of a building is that it may result in sacrificing quality or functionality. It is important to carefully consider the trade-offs and find a balance between cost and quality to ensure the long-term sustainability and usability of the building.