Calculating Spring Constant with Hook Weight Included

In summary, when conducting a physics lab experiment, weights were added to the end of a spring and the resulting stretch was measured. However, the measurement method used, which involved subtracting the distance from the weights to the ground from the distance from the bottom of the hook to the ground, may have caused inaccurate results. It is recommended to measure the extension of the spring from the bottom of the hook without any weights added.
burnside
In a physics lab we put weights on the end of a spring and measured how far the spring stretched. We attatched the weight to the spring with a hook that looks more or less like ? and the weights stack on the bottom. To make it easier, i just measured from the bottom of the hook to the floor; so to measure how far the spring stretched, I measured how far the weights were to the floor with the weights on, and then took the weights off, measured from the floor to the bottom of the hook, and assumed the different was how far the spring stretched. Unfortunately the hook weighs 50 grams, which considering we were using weights like 800 grams i assumed it would be negligable.

So, when we measured how far the spring stretched with 870 grams, we really measured how much farther it stretched than when the spring had 50 grams on it.

As the weight becomes closer to zero, the spring constant becomes unreasonably high, i.e.

with 870 grams and 15.1 cm of stretch k=51.9
with 750 grams and 11.5 cm of stretch k=63.9
and with 450 grams and 2.3 cm of stretch k=191

I can't redo my measurements, so I'm wondering if there is any way to solve for what 'k' should really be.

I tried substitution, assuming that the spring stretched an extra 'x' cm for every measurement, i.e.

mg=k(y+x)
.85(9.8)=k(.151+x) .05(9.8)=kx
8.33=(.49/x)(.151+x)
x=.011 meters

but 'k' still gets way too high.

Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
burnside said:
To make it easier, i just measured from the bottom of the hook to the floor; so to measure how far the spring stretched, I measured how far the weights were to the floor with the weights on, and then took the weights off, measured from the floor to the bottom of the hook, and assumed the different was how far the spring stretched.
The problem could be that you measured from the weights to the ground and subtracted that from the hight of the hook without the weights. You should have measured from the bottom of the hook both times. That could be the reason that your K got bigger and bigger - because the less weights you stacked the less the difference was. Maybe you could correct that if you knew the length of the weights.

It is not necessary to include the additional weight of the hook. Since there is a direct proportional relationship between the load W and the extension x of the spring the effect of the weight of the hook is to offset the origin of your graph just higher up on the line. The extensions need to be measured from the original position of the spring, that is you need to determine the extension from the bottom of the hook when there were no weights on it. If the original height was ho then you need to find the difference of the other heights w.r.t. this ho to get the extensions x as a result of the load of the total weight on the hook at those times.

Last edited:

1. What is a spring constant and how is it measured in the lab?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of how stiff a spring is. It is typically denoted by the letter k and is measured in units of force per unit length, such as N/m. In a lab setting, the spring constant can be measured by hanging different masses from the spring and recording the corresponding elongation or compression of the spring. The slope of the resulting graph of force vs. displacement is equal to the spring constant.

2. How does the spring constant affect the behavior of a spring?

The spring constant determines how much force is required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance. A higher spring constant means that a greater force is needed to produce the same amount of displacement in the spring. This also means that a spring with a higher spring constant will be stiffer and more difficult to stretch or compress.

3. What factors can affect the spring constant in a lab setting?

The spring constant can be affected by the material and thickness of the spring, as well as its length, diameter, and number of coils. The temperature of the spring and the force applied can also impact the spring constant. In addition, any imperfections or defects in the spring can alter its stiffness and therefore affect the spring constant.

4. How is the spring constant related to Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the amount of displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This relationship is represented by the equation F = -kx, where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement. This means that a higher spring constant will result in a greater force for the same amount of displacement, and vice versa.

5. Can the spring constant change over time?

In ideal conditions, the spring constant should remain constant as long as the material and dimensions of the spring do not change. However, in real-world scenarios, factors such as temperature, wear and tear, and plastic deformation can cause the spring constant to change over time. It is important to regularly check and recalibrate the spring constant in a lab setting to ensure accurate results.