Affordable Lab Supplies for Fun Experiments: Find Everything You Need Here!

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab
In summary: Eh, I'll just have to find something else to do with them.In summary, anyone know where i can buy a bunch of crap that you'd normally find in a general chemistry course lab? I want to do some dumb little experiments and I need stuff! And I don't want it to be all super powerful super lab stuff that costs super money.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Anyone know where i can buy a bunch of crap that you'd normally find in a general chemistry course lab :redface: I want to do some dumb little experiments and I need stuff! And I don't want it to be all super powerful super lab stuff that costs super money :frown:

I'm currently staring at a big google advertisement for "labx.com" haha, i think google can read your mind :confused:

All I think I need are some .5L bottles, ph indictators, a couple graduated cylinders... hmm if anyone knows a place that sells some electrical compents too, thatd be sweet :P

Unless moonbear wants to donate some crap to me :!) :!)

Physics news on Phys.org
I usually get my circuit components from http://www.web-tronics.com/.

I'd be interested in the cheap chem-lab equipment too.Actually no - I've got to stop collecting tons of junk.

Jelfish said:
Actually no - I've got to stop collecting tons of junk.

I should stop too.

But i wont.

And no one can stop me.

I have like 3 drawers full of cables and computer parts and screwdrivers :)

Pengwuino said:
All I think I need are some .5L bottles, ph indictators, a couple graduated cylinders... hmm if anyone knows a place that sells some electrical compents too, thatd be sweet
How many times do I have to say it? You can get all that stuff and more on http://ebay.com

Mk said:
How many times do I have to say it? You can get all that stuff and more on http://ebay.com

I'm not buying a 50uf capacitor off ebay!

web-tronics has a bag-o'-LEDs (100 count) for $1.50

Pengwuino said:
I'm currently staring at a big google advertisement for "labx.com"
First off, here's what you desperately need:

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/"

and

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=10&application=firefox"

Moving on: I'm not sure what you have in mind, but pH indicators are dirt cheap at most pet stores (fish section) - $5 tops. Electronics stuff is everywhere on the internet (duh), examples "www.jameco.com"[/URL] (huge catalog).

Dunno about the rest - things like precision Pyrex glassware get really expensive. The average Organic Chem. student in my class ended up breaking a couple of hundred dollars' worth. I was proudly "below average".

Last edited by a moderator:
Pengwuino said:
I should stop too.

But i wont.

And no one can stop me.

I have like 3 drawers full of cables and computer parts and screwdrivers :)

I use to go to my campus's computer trash bins and look for circuit and computer components. Then after months of storing them in my dorm I realized that I would probably never use most of the stuff and that moving it around is a pain. Otherwise, I'd consider buying a set of beakers and flasks as well as some cheap non-household chemicals. eh.. if it's a good deal, I might buy it anyway.

rachmaninoff said:
First off, here's what you desperately need:

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/"

and

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=10&application=firefox"

Moving on: I'm not sure what you have in mind, but pH indicators are dirt cheap at most pet stores (fish section) - $5 tops. Electronics stuff is everywhere on the internet (duh), examples "www.jameco.com"[/URL] (huge catalog).

Dunno about the rest - things like precision Pyrex glassware get really expensive. The average Organic Chem. student in my class ended up breaking a couple of hundred dollars' worth. I was proudly "below average".[/QUOTE]

I do have firefox :P Just came off a restart so I don't have all my plug ins... plugged in. I want to buy all my stuff at one place online though :P

Last edited by a moderator:
The AdBlock extension takes like what, 14.6 seconds to install?

rachmaninoff said:
The AdBlock extension takes like what, 14.6 seconds to install?

You don't konw me well enough :)

I want a Bunsen burner.

Here' s cheap site for lab equipment. Hey you could even build some cool batteries to power a clock with this stuff :biggrin:
Electronic stuff I order from Jameco, Digi-Key, or go to a computer or amateur radio fleamarket, lots of cheap electronic components there.

Adblock is pretty freakin awesome.

Oh nice website (the one for chemistry stuff) except... where are the RUBBER POLICEMEN?!

I've always wanted one just to say I had one and people who know what they are would find it funny and people who didn't would probably think it were some sort of sick sex toy.

I'm really old fashioned. First time I wanted some lab stuff I actually looked in the yellow pages. Found a place a very short drive from where I live, too.

They treated me very cooly when I walked in and when I went to pay they asked for an I.D. It struck me then that they must have come to assume that random people who walk in are most likely people who make their own drugs. I asked about glass tubing, the kind you can shape in a bunsen burner and they said, mysteriously, that they don't stock it anymore. They had some super long eyedroppers, so I got a few of those figuring to alter them to my needs. The woman behind the counter became almost angry and "assured" me if I tried to heat them they'd break because they weren't the right kind of glass. They didn't, of course. I hate it when people try to manipulate you through misinformation.

Holy crap I should just buy it intown! I can't remember hte last time I actually ventured out to go buy something. Probably because people are jammed packed in malls 24/7 around here.

zoobyshoe said:
I'm really old fashioned. First time I wanted some lab stuff I actually looked in the yellow pages. Found a place a very short drive from where I live, too.
They treated me very cooly when I walked in and when I went to pay they asked for an I.D. It struck me then that they must have come to assume that random people who walk in are most likely people who make their own drugs. I asked about glass tubing, the kind you can shape in a bunsen burner and they said, mysteriously, that they don't stock it anymore. They had some super long eyedroppers, so I got a few of those figuring to alter them to my needs. The woman behind the counter became almost angry and "assured" me if I tried to heat them they'd break because they weren't the right kind of glass. They didn't, of course. I hate it when people try to manipulate you through misinformation.

"Drugs" and the two chartered "eco-terror" squads, EPA and OSHA will give local law enforcement, health depts. and other regulators "Star Chamber" treatments if they find unaccounted test tubes on the records of any business. EPA and OSHA are the two bad actors in this --- anyone can join "needle swap" programs, which tells you where the drug problem is on local business "radars." Try buying photographic chemicals --- you can get a real "third degree" regarding background, competence, your plans for disposal.

Related to Affordable Lab Supplies for Fun Experiments: Find Everything You Need Here!

1. What types of lab supplies are available for fun experiments?

There is a wide range of lab supplies available for fun experiments, including beakers, test tubes, pipettes, petri dishes, microscopes, and more. You can also find safety equipment like goggles and gloves, as well as various chemicals and substances for experiments.

2. Are these lab supplies affordable?

Yes, these lab supplies are specifically chosen to be affordable for those looking to conduct fun experiments at home. You can find a variety of options at different price points to fit your budget.

3. Can I find everything I need in one place?

Yes, our website offers a wide selection of lab supplies for all types of experiments. You can find everything you need in one convenient place without having to shop around at different stores.

4. Are these lab supplies safe to use?

While some experiments may require adult supervision, the lab supplies themselves are safe to use. They are made from durable materials and are designed for use in educational and fun experiments.

5. Do you offer any instructions or guides for using these lab supplies?

Yes, our website also provides helpful guides and instructions for using the lab supplies in a safe and effective manner. You can also find inspiration for fun experiments to try at home.