Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need some lab supplies!

1. Dec 17, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Anyone know where i can buy a bunch of crap that you'd normally find in a general chemistry course lab :redface: I want to do some dumb little experiments and I need stuff! And I don't want it to be all super powerful super lab stuff that costs super money :frown:

I'm currently staring at a big google advertisement for "labx.com" haha, i think google can read your mind :confused:

All I think I need are some .5L bottles, ph indictators, a couple graduated cylinders... hmm if anyone knows a place that sells some electrical compents too, thatd be sweet :P

Unless moonbear wants to donate some crap to me :!!) :!!)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2005 #2
    I usually get my circuit components from http://www.web-tronics.com/.

I'd be interested in the cheap chem-lab equipment too.

Actually no - I've got to stop collecting tons of junk.

4. Dec 17, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I should stop too.

But i wont.

And no one can stop me.

I have like 3 drawers full of cables and computer parts and screwdrivers :)

5. Dec 17, 2005 #4

Mk

How many times do I have to say it? You can get all that stuff and more on http://ebay.com

6. Dec 17, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I'm not buying a 50uf capacitor off ebay!

7. Dec 17, 2005 #6
    web-tronics has a bag-o'-LEDs (100 count) for $1.50

8. Dec 17, 2005 #7
    First off, here's what you desperately need:

Mozilla Firefox

and

Firefox extensions - AdBlock

Moving on: I'm not sure what you have in mind, but pH indicators are dirt cheap at most pet stores (fish section) - $5 tops. Electronics stuff is everywhere on the internet (duh), examples Jameco and Mouser (huge catalog).

Dunno about the rest - things like precision Pyrex glassware get really expensive. The average Organic Chem. student in my class ended up breaking a couple of hundred dollars' worth. I was proudly "below average".

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2005
  9. Dec 17, 2005 #8

I use to go to my campus's computer trash bins and look for circuit and computer components. Then after months of storing them in my dorm I realized that I would probably never use most of the stuff and that moving it around is a pain. Otherwise, I'd consider buying a set of beakers and flasks as well as some cheap non-household chemicals. eh.. if it's a good deal, I might buy it anyway.

10. Dec 17, 2005 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I do have firefox :P Just came off a restart so I don't have all my plug ins... plugged in. I want to buy all my stuff at one place online though :P

11. Dec 17, 2005 #10
    The AdBlock extension takes like what, 14.6 seconds to install?

12. Dec 17, 2005 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You don't konw me well enough :)

13. Dec 17, 2005 #12
    I want a Bunsen burner.

14. Dec 17, 2005 #13

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here' s cheap site for lab equipment. Hey you could even build some cool batteries to power a clock with this stuff :biggrin:
    Electronic stuff I order from Jameco, Digi-Key, or go to a computer or amateur radio fleamarket, lots of cheap electronic components there.

15. Dec 17, 2005 #14

Mk

Adblock is pretty freakin awesome.

16. Dec 17, 2005 #15
    Oh nice website (the one for chemistry stuff) except...... where are the RUBBER POLICEMEN?!

I've always wanted one just to say I had one and people who know what they are would find it funny and people who didn't would probably think it were some sort of sick sex toy.

17. Dec 17, 2005 #16
    I'm really old fashioned. First time I wanted some lab stuff I actually looked in the yellow pages. Found a place a very short drive from where I live, too.

They treated me very cooly when I walked in and when I went to pay they asked for an I.D. It struck me then that they must have come to assume that random people who walk in are most likely people who make their own drugs. I asked about glass tubing, the kind you can shape in a bunsen burner and they said, mysteriously, that they don't stock it anymore. They had some super long eyedroppers, so I got a few of those figuring to alter them to my needs. The woman behind the counter became almost angry and "assured" me if I tried to heat them they'd break because they weren't the right kind of glass. They didn't, of course. I hate it when people try to manipulate you through misinformation.

18. Dec 17, 2005 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Holy crap I should just buy it intown! I can't remember hte last time I actually ventured out to go buy something. Probably because people are jammed packed in malls 24/7 around here.

19. Dec 17, 2005 #18

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"Drugs" and the two chartered "eco-terror" squads, EPA and OSHA will give local law enforcement, health depts. and other regulators "Star Chamber" treatments if they find unaccounted test tubes on the records of any business. EPA and OSHA are the two bad actors in this --- anyone can join "needle swap" programs, which tells you where the drug problem is on local business "radars." Try buying photographic chemicals --- you can get a real "third degree" regarding background, competence, your plans for disposal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?