I need somebody to double check my work I think my math is wrong somewhere

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with a spreadsheet they have created to transfer data from a vehicle's data port into a horsepower chart. They have successfully graphed the data but believe their math may be incorrect, resulting in a higher than expected horsepower output. They have also included a link to their excel spreadsheet for reference. The expert suggests checking the units and conversions used in the calculations.
soundengineer
I need somebody to double check my work...I think my math is wrong somewhere..

so I've been working on a spreadsheet to take some data from a vehicle's data port...
and to transfer it into a Horsepower chart...
basically making a street Dyno...

I've gotten everything to work together...including graphing
but I know that my math has to be wrong somewhere and I need some help to get it right...

I think I've done all the conversions correctly...
I know I've done all the lookup from my data page correctly...

The Data I used is from a vehcile on the dyno...this vehicle made 447HorsePower and 396 Torque
but my excel math seems to say it s a lot higher...a lot higher..my end result is 25% or so higher than what it should be...
I've even added in dyno correction factor that every dynomometer uses to get an SAE corrected valueMy link to my excel spreadsheet...in a zip file...
too big for me to post it...
http://www.audiohelix.com/physics/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

In a consistent system of units we have:

Power = Torque * (rotational speed)

You stated that your are measuring power in units of horsepower (instead of, for example, watts).

When you say 396 Torque, you are ommiting the units. The most likely possibility in America is foot-lbs, whereas with the metric system torque is measured in Newton-meters.

The metric unit for angular speed is radians per second (not revolutions per second, as engines are often quoted). To convert revolutions per second to radians per second multiply by 2*pi = 6.28.

engines/horsepower_chart.xls

I would be happy to review your work and help you identify any potential errors or areas for improvement. It's always a good idea to have a second set of eyes look over any scientific calculations to ensure accuracy.

First, I would suggest checking your conversions and making sure they are all correct. It's easy to make small mistakes when converting units, so double-checking this step is important.

Next, I would recommend reviewing your data and the formulas you used to calculate horsepower and torque. Make sure you are using the correct equations and that all the necessary variables are included.

Additionally, it may be helpful to compare your results to similar studies or data from other sources to see if your numbers are in line with what is expected for a vehicle of similar specifications.

Finally, I would suggest checking your dyno correction factor and making sure it is applied correctly in your calculations. This factor can have a significant impact on the final results, so it's important to ensure it is accurate.

I hope these suggestions help you identify any potential errors and improve the accuracy of your calculations. Remember, it's always a good idea to have someone else review your work to catch any mistakes or offer new perspectives. Good luck with your project!

1. What should I do if I think my math is wrong somewhere?

If you are unsure about your math, it's always a good idea to have someone double check your work. This can help catch any mistakes or errors that you may have missed.

2. Who can I ask to double check my work?

You can ask a friend, classmate, or teacher to double check your work. It's important to find someone who is knowledgeable in the subject and can provide accurate feedback.

3. How can I make sure my work is correct?

One way to ensure the accuracy of your work is to go through each step of your calculations and check for any mistakes. You can also use online tools or consult a textbook for reference.

4. Is it okay to ask for help with my math?

Yes, it is perfectly okay to ask for help with your math. In fact, seeking assistance can improve your understanding of the subject and help you catch any mistakes.

5. What should I do if I can't find the mistake in my work?

If you are unable to find the mistake in your work, it's best to consult with a teacher or tutor. They can provide guidance and help you identify any errors in your calculations or understanding of the concept.