I need to find magnitudes of forces

In summary, the conversation is about finding the two force components given a resultant force of 4200 N at 28 degrees to the right of the positive y axis. The equations for force X and force Y are set up as F1*cos17o + 4200*sin28o - F2*cos20o = 0 and F1*sin17o + 4200*cos28o + F2*cos20o = 0, with the explanation that the forces must be set to 0 in order to solve for the components. The individual asking for help is also confused about the theory behind this method.
Ryuk1990

Homework Statement

I got a resultant force 28 degrees to the right of the positive y axis. The resultant value is 4200 N. There is one force 45 degrees to the right of the resultant force. The second force is 20 degrees to the left of the positive y axis. All I want to know is how I'm supposed to set up the equations so that I can solve for the two force components.

The Attempt at a Solution

I started out by calculating that there is 17 degrees between the positive x-axis and the first force component.

Is this how I'm supposed to set up the equations?

Force X: F1*cos17o + 4200*sin28o - F2*cos20o = 0

Force Y: F1*sin17o + 4200*cos28o + F2*cos20o = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right.

Ok, just one more thing. Can you explain to me the theory behind this? I don't get why I have to set X and Y forces to 0.

If I plug in 0 and 0 for the resultant formula which is R = [tex]\sqrt{FX^2 + FY^2}[/tex], that doesn't equal 4200 which is what the resultant force is. This confuses me.

FAQ: I need to find magnitudes of forces

What is a force magnitude?

A force magnitude is the measurement or size of a force. It is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs) and represents the strength or intensity of a force.

How do I calculate the magnitude of a force?

The magnitude of a force can be calculated using the formula F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula F = kx, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the spring.

What factors affect the magnitude of a force?

The magnitude of a force can be affected by various factors, including the mass of the object, the distance between two objects, and the type of force (e.g. gravitational, electromagnetic, etc.). It can also be affected by external factors such as friction and air resistance.

How do I measure the magnitude of a force?

The magnitude of a force can be measured using various instruments such as a spring scale, a dynamometer, or a force sensor. These instruments are designed to measure the amount of force being applied to them and display the measurement in the appropriate unit.

Why is it important to know the magnitude of a force?

Knowing the magnitude of a force is important in understanding the behavior and interactions of objects in the physical world. It allows scientists to make predictions and calculations about the motion and stability of objects, and to design structures and machines that can withstand and utilize different forces.

Back