Need Help with Mechanical Principles: Calculating Stress, Strain, and Extension

• Thread starter Curly91
  • Start date
In summary, the person is seeking help on Mechanical Principles after being assigned work following a car accident. They need assistance with a question involving a steel bar and calculating tensile stress, strain, and extension. They also ask for any relevant equations and how stress relates to strain and modulus.
Curly91
Hey guys. Just signed up hear after finding the website. I really need some help on Mechanical Principles as i have just been handed work to do once i came back from my car crash. I don't have a clue what any of it means so i could really do with your help.

One of the questions is: A steel bar of 70mm dia is subjected to a pull of 120kN. If E=200GN/m2 and the length is 400mm, calculate:
a) the tensile stress
b) the tensile straing
c) the extension

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write down any of the relevant equations? How does stress relate to strain and modulus (E)? If you know strain, and the total length, how would you find extension?

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear about your car crash and I am here to help with your mechanical principles work. Let's break down the question to better understand it.

First, we have a steel bar with a diameter of 70mm, which is being pulled with a force of 120kN. The length of the bar is 400mm.

To calculate the tensile stress, we will use the formula stress = force/area. In this case, the area of the bar can be calculated using the formula area = π*(diameter/2)^2, where π is the mathematical constant pi. Plugging in the values, we get an area of approximately 3848 mm^2.

Now, plugging this into the stress formula, we get: stress = 120kN / 3848 mm^2 = 31.2 N/mm^2.

Moving on to the tensile strain, we will use the formula strain = change in length/original length. In this case, the change in length is the extension of the bar, which we will calculate next. The original length is given as 400mm.

To calculate the extension, we will use the formula extension = force*length/area*E, where E is the modulus of elasticity for steel (200GN/m^2). Plugging in the values, we get an extension of approximately 0.015 mm.

Now, we can calculate the tensile strain: strain = 0.015 mm / 400 mm = 0.0000375.

Finally, to calculate the extension, we will use the formula extension = force*length/area*E. Plugging in the values, we get an extension of approximately 0.015 mm.

I hope this helps you understand how to calculate stress, strain, and extension in mechanical principles problems. If you need further clarification, please let me know. Good luck with your work!

1. How can I get help with my problem?

There are several ways you can seek help for your problem. You can reach out to friends or family for support, seek assistance from a professional counselor or therapist, or join support groups for individuals dealing with similar issues. It's important to find a method of help that works best for you.

2. Is it okay to ask for help?

Absolutely! Asking for help is a sign of strength, not weakness. It takes courage to admit that you need assistance and reaching out for help is a step towards finding a solution to your problem. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it.

3. How do I know if I really need help?

If you are feeling overwhelmed, stuck, or unable to handle your problem on your own, it may be a sign that you need help. Other signs may include changes in behavior, sleep patterns, or appetite. It's important to pay attention to your thoughts and feelings and seek help if you feel like you need it.

4. What if I don't feel comfortable asking for help?

It's completely normal to feel uncomfortable or vulnerable when asking for help. However, it's important to remember that reaching out for help is a brave and important step towards improving your situation. If you are feeling uncomfortable, try talking to someone you trust or seeking help anonymously through online resources.

5. Can I get help for free?

There are many resources available for individuals seeking help, including free options. You can search for free support groups or hotlines in your area, or reach out to organizations that offer free counseling services. It's important to do your research and find the right resources for your specific needs.