1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I think I want to be a math major?

1. Feb 13, 2012 #1
    I think I want to be math major I have taken Algebra and I am in precalc and in my first year of college.

Can anyone give me advice I admit I am not good in math I got a b- in Algebra but on my spare time I've studied calc all the way up the substitute integration.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2012 #2
    Before you start studying Calculus you may want to brush up on Algebra, Geometry, and Trigonometry because your knowledge in these classes will be important when you take Calculus. Not to be harsh, but if you got a B- in Algebra then you may want to rethink this decision because you're far from "real" mathematics.

4. Feb 13, 2012 #3
    You don't sound very convinced.

Here's a question for you: do you think you would enjoy doing a lot of math in college, and are you willing to spend a lot of time trying to understand it all?

If you can genuinely answer 'yes' to that question, I think you can should be a math major.

5. Feb 13, 2012 #4
    I agree with Totalderiv, but you should also know why you didn't do well in Algebra. I got a C+ in HS Trig because the HW was 30% of the grade. I also didn't do well in my first semester of physics at college because I hadn't done any math in 9 years (because I kept getting bumped into lower math classes in HS because I refused to do HW). I am now doing fairly well as physics major. So did you struggle with the material? Did you have a personal issue with the professor? Did you party too much?

An intuitive feel for algebra, geometry, and trig is imperative in upper level math. If you had any trouble understanding the subject, being a math major will be painful. There are a number of other majors that include a lot of math if you enjoy it but struggle with it.

6. Feb 13, 2012 #5
    In addition to what everyone else has said, upper level math is nothing like the lower division math. It's a lot more abstract, with little to no calculations.

7. Feb 17, 2012 #6
    Just take a few classes and see how it goes! Most people have to take at least one math class to graduate anyway, regardless of major. You won't know if you're good at advanced math until you try it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook