I think this is coulomb's law

In summary, the conversation is about a prelab assignment where the question is asking for the magnitude of the charge Q in μC. The conversation discusses using Coulomb's law and the force of gravity formula to solve the problem, and suggests that the solution is easily found by using the known weight of the object and Coulomb's law to calculate the required electric force.
HobieDude16
ok, I am trying to do this "prelab" thing for my lab tomorrow, and there is one question i just can NOT figure out. the question is

The weight of a 0.6 kg object of charge Q is just balanced by another object of equal but opposite charge fixed to a support 107 cm above it. What is the magnitude of the charge Q (in μC)? [Note that 1 μC=1x10-6C.]

i understand how coulomb's law works, with F=k(q0q1)/r^2 but what i am having trouble figuring out, is what can i do to get an answer here? i have the mass, and the distance (r). i was thinking to use the force of gravity formula, and set it equal to coulomb's, but i looked at an example in the book where they are given q0 and q1, and they found both gravity and coulombs, and the answers were not equal. so i figured that must mean that is not the right way to do it...

any ideas? sorry so long, its been bugging me for a while now... any help is appreciated

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
HobieDude16 said:
The weight of a 0.6 kg object of charge Q is just balanced by another object of equal but opposite charge fixed to a support 107 cm above it. What is the magnitude of the charge Q (in μC)? [Note that 1 μC=1x10-6C.]

It tells you that the object's weight is just balanced by the electric force on it from the opposite charge. You already know the object's weight, right? So from that and Coulomb's law you can easily calculate the required equal and opposite electric force to balance it.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out. It seems like you are on the right track with using Coulomb's law to solve this problem. You are correct in thinking that you can use the force of gravity formula to set up an equation with Coulomb's law. However, the example in the book where the answers were not equal may be due to the fact that the objects in that example were not balanced, unlike in this problem where the weight of one object is balanced by the opposite charge of the other object.

To solve this problem, you can set up an equation using Coulomb's law: F = k(q0q1)/r^2, where F is the force of gravity and k is the Coulomb's constant. Since the objects are balanced, the force of gravity must be equal to the force of the electric field, so you can set the two equations equal to each other: mg = k(q0q1)/r^2. From there, you can solve for q0, which will give you the magnitude of the charge Q in μC.

I hope this helps and good luck with your lab tomorrow! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. Who discovered Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law was discovered by French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb in 1785.

3. How is Coulomb's Law related to electric fields?

Coulomb's Law is closely related to electric fields, as it describes the force that a charge experiences in an electric field. The electric field is simply the force per unit charge, so the electric field can be calculated using Coulomb's Law.

4. What is the SI unit of charge used in Coulomb's Law?

The SI unit of charge used in Coulomb's Law is the Coulomb (C). It is defined as the amount of charge that passes through a conductor in one second when the current is one ampere.

5. Can Coulomb's Law be used to calculate the force between two non-point charges?

No, Coulomb's Law can only be used to calculate the force between two point charges. For non-point charges, the law can be applied by considering the charges to be made up of many small point charges and using vector addition to find the total force.