1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I think this is coulomb's law

1. Jan 18, 2006 #1
    ok, im trying to do this "prelab" thing for my lab tomorrow, and there is one question i just can NOT figure out. the question is

The weight of a 0.6 kg object of charge Q is just balanced by another object of equal but opposite charge fixed to a support 107 cm above it. What is the magnitude of the charge Q (in μC)? [Note that 1 μC=1x10-6C.]

i understand how coulomb's law works, with F=k(q0q1)/r^2 but what i am having trouble figuring out, is what can i do to get an answer here? i have the mass, and the distance (r). i was thinking to use the force of gravity formula, and set it equal to coulomb's, but i looked at an example in the book where they are given q0 and q1, and they found both gravity and coulombs, and the answers were not equal. so i figured that must mean that is not the right way to do it.....

any ideas? sorry so long, its been bugging me for a while now... any help is appreciated

thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It tells you that the object's weight is just balanced by the electric force on it from the opposite charge. You already know the object's weight, right? So from that and Coulomb's law you can easily calculate the required equal and opposite electric force to balance it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?