I think this is simple but I just cant work out how

• Thread starter oliver.smith8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, to solve the equation \frac{1/a -1/b}{1/a+1/b}= \frac{b-a}{b+a}, you can simplify the right hand side to (\frac{1}{a} - \frac{1}{b})(\frac{1}{a} + \frac{1}{b})^{-1} and then multiply both the numerator and denominator by ab to get the solution.
oliver.smith8
how does [tex]\frac{1/a -1/b}{1/a+1/b}= \frac{b-a}{b+a}[/tex]

Ive been trying to work this out for ages

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's simple algebra. Here's a few hints.

The right hand side, as given, is this:

[tex]\frac{\frac{1}{a} - \frac{1}{b}}{\frac{1}{a} + \frac{1}{b}}[/tex]

But this can be written more clearly as:

[tex](\frac{1}{a} - \frac{1}{b})(\frac{1}{a} + \frac{1}{b})^{-1}[/tex]

From there, apply algebraic operations to this expression until it equals the right hand side.

Think about what value you need to multiply the left hand side with to make it equal the right hand side.

Multiply by ab in both the numerator and the denominator. This is multiplying by one.

1. What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a process used by scientists to explore and understand the natural world. It involves making observations, forming hypotheses, conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. This method allows scientists to systematically test and refine their theories and explanations about how the world works.

2. How do I come up with a hypothesis?

A hypothesis is a proposed explanation for a phenomenon that can be tested through experimentation. To come up with a hypothesis, you must first make observations and identify a pattern or problem that you want to investigate. Then, you can use your background knowledge and research to formulate a possible explanation for the observed phenomenon.

3. How do I design an experiment?

Designing an experiment involves identifying the independent and dependent variables, determining the control group, and creating a step-by-step procedure to test the hypothesis. It is important to control all variables except for the one being tested to ensure accurate results. Additionally, the experiment must be replicable by others in order to validate the results.

4. What do I do if my results do not support my hypothesis?

If your results do not support your hypothesis, it is important to analyze and interpret the data objectively. Consider if there were any flaws in the experimental design or if there may be other variables influencing the results. It is also important to remember that a null hypothesis, or no significant relationship between variables, is a valid outcome in science.

5. How do I communicate my findings?

Communicating scientific findings is an important part of the scientific process. This can be done through writing a research paper, giving a presentation, or creating visuals like graphs or charts. When communicating your findings, it is important to be clear, accurate, and transparent about your methods and results.