Is Bruce Dern Really Dead or Did I Just Imagine It?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: Eric the robot from "Silent Running".In summary, there was a conversation about actor Bruce Dern and how some people thought he had died, but it turns out he is still alive. Some people had never heard of him or his daughter, actress Laura Dern. There was also a discussion about the movie "Silent Running" and how it featured a silent space explosion. Some trivia was also shared about Bruce Dern's family and career.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
until Tsu saw that he was in a recently made movie! :bugeye: At first I assumed that he didn't have any lines and that this might explain it...

Really though this is just too weird. Did he get cancer, or have an accident, and almost die? I could swear that I heard Laura Dern talking about this a few years ago, and I was certain that she said that he had died. Having been a Bruce Dern fan since Silent Running, I was sad to hear about this, so it's hard to understand how I got this wrong - it was not something that I would only catch in part with limited interest.

Physics news on Phys.org
:rolleyes: I've never heard of him before, so can't be of much help (don't worry, I don't keep track of actors in general, so unless they're hitting headlines pretty frequently, I don't know most of their names, so that doesn't mean much in general), but are you sure this is the same person you thought was dead, or could it be a son (i.e., Jr) or someone else using the same stage name hoping to draw on someone else's prior fame?

My first thought was that it was one of the children in the movie - perhaps a son of Laura Dern, who is Bruce Dern's daughter and also an actress - but nope, it's him.

I was so sure that when Tsu was reading from his Bio, which gave no date of death, I still refused to believe it. This is very unusual. It is one thing for me to get some detail wrong, but I was so sure about this that I can hardly imagine what it was that I heard. Still, it's good to see that Bruce is still alive and kicking!

I see that Laura Dern had a sibling who died as a child, but Laura never knew her, so... dunno.

Last edited:
Bruce is not dead and neither is is daughter Laura.

turbo-1 said:
Bruce is not dead and neither is is daughter Laura.

I've had a crush on Laura since I was a kid [well, young adult]. :biggrin: No, she was the one telling the story that I thought involved Bruce.

What's next? Elvis is not dead either?

:)

Zz.

I will always remember Bruce Dern for the movie "Silent Running". Movie theme sung by Joan Baez.

Huey, Dewie and Louie. :cry:

Cool! You can watch Silent Running piecewise on YouTube.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
Cool! You can watch Silent Running piecewise on YouTube.

Oh, this is why I've never heard of him or this movie...I was all of a year old (if that) when that movie came out. :-p :smile:

Bruce Dern is a cast member in HBO's 'Big Love'.

Moonbear said:
Oh, this is why I've never heard of him or this movie...I was all of a year old (if that) when that movie came out. :-p :smile:
Moonie, you're a baby!

Moonbear said:

You would know Laura Dern as the scientist [female lead] in Jurassic Park.

I thought she was very good in the movie "Fat Man and Little Boy", which you may have seen.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
You would know Laura Dern as the scientist [female lead] in Jurassic Park.

Okay, now we're firmly into my generation here. I never knew her name before (told you I don't pay any attention to those things).

Moonbear said:
:rolleyes: I've never heard of him before, so can't be of much help (don't worry, I don't keep track of actors in general, so unless they're hitting headlines pretty frequently, I don't know most of their names, so that doesn't mean much in general), but are you sure this is the same person you thought was dead, or could it be a son (i.e., Jr) or someone else using the same stage name hoping to draw on someone else's prior fame?

b65.jpg

Bruce Dern is a character actor who specializes in playing strange, high strung characters. Sometimes he's the villain, sometimes the victim, sometimes the protagonist.

His daughter, Laura most often plays well adjusted, straight forward, normal, characters, but she also played a wicked wild chick extremely well.

http://www.almapress.unibo.it/fl/numeri/numero3/images3/cuoreselvaggio01.jpg

Attachments

• b65.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 352
turbo-1 said:
Moonie, you're a baby!
I was thinking the same thing.

Dern played bad guys in Westerns like Hang 'Em High back in the 60's.

He's still around. He did an interview a few months ago on the regional NPR station. He has an interesting background. The following war brought up during the interview.
His paternal grandfather was George Dern, a former Utah governor and Secretary of War and his uncle was poet Archibald MacLeish. His godfather was well-known politician Adlai Stevenson and his godmother was Eleanor Roosevelt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Dern

Evo said:
I will always remember Bruce Dern for the movie "Silent Running". Movie theme sung by Joan Baez.

Huey, Dewie and Louie. :cry:

I've often wondered, did that movie feature Hollywood's first silent space explosion?

Chi Meson said:
I've often wondered, did that movie feature Hollywood's first silent space explosion?

Well, there was the scene in "2001" when Bowman re-enters the ship after HAL locked him out. IIRC, he blew the explosive bolts on the hatch of the space pod.

Last edited:
Trivia: First robot?

Related to Is Bruce Dern Really Dead or Did I Just Imagine It?

1. Is Bruce Dern actually dead?

No, Bruce Dern is still alive. The confusion may be due to his age (he was born in 1936) or the fact that he often takes on roles of older, more frail characters in films.

2. Where did the rumor of Bruce Dern's death come from?

The rumor likely originated from a false news article or social media post. It is always important to fact-check information before spreading it.

3. Has Bruce Dern commented on these rumors?

Yes, Bruce Dern has addressed these rumors in multiple interviews and has confirmed that he is alive and well.

4. Have there been any recent health concerns for Bruce Dern?

No, there have not been any reports of recent health concerns for Bruce Dern. He continues to act and is currently working on several upcoming projects.

5. What is Bruce Dern's current age?

As of 2021, Bruce Dern is 85 years old.