Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I thought Bruce Dern was dead!

1. Nov 11, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

until Tsu saw that he was in a recently made movie! :bugeye: At first I assumed that he didn't have any lines and that this might explain it...

Really though this is just too weird. Did he get cancer, or have an accident, and almost die? I could swear that I heard Laura Dern talking about this a few years ago, and I was certain that she said that he had died. Having been a Bruce Dern fan since Silent Running, I was sad to hear about this, so it's hard to understand how I got this wrong - it was not something that I would only catch in part with limited interest.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2007 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:uhh: I've never heard of him before, so can't be of much help (don't worry, I don't keep track of actors in general, so unless they're hitting headlines pretty frequently, I don't know most of their names, so that doesn't mean much in general), but are you sure this is the same person you thought was dead, or could it be a son (i.e., Jr) or someone else using the same stage name hoping to draw on someone else's prior fame?

4. Nov 11, 2007 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My first thought was that it was one of the children in the movie - perhaps a son of Laura Dern, who is Bruce Dern's daughter and also an actress - but nope, it's him.

I was so sure that when Tsu was reading from his Bio, which gave no date of death, I still refused to believe it. This is very unusual. It is one thing for me to get some detail wrong, but I was so sure about this that I can hardly imagine what it was that I heard. Still, it's good to see that Bruce is still alive and kicking!

I see that Laura Dern had a sibling who died as a child, but Laura never knew her, so... dunno.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  5. Nov 11, 2007 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Bruce is not dead and neither is is daughter Laura.

6. Nov 11, 2007 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've had a crush on Laura since I was a kid [well, young adult]. :biggrin: No, she was the one telling the story that I thought involved Bruce.

7. Nov 11, 2007 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What's next? Elvis is not dead either?

:)

Zz.

8. Nov 11, 2007 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I will always remember Bruce Dern for the movie "Silent Running". Movie theme sung by Joan Baez.

Huey, Dewie and Louie. :cry:

9. Nov 11, 2007 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cool! You can watch Silent Running piecewise on YouTube.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  10. Nov 11, 2007 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, this is why I've never heard of him or this movie...I was all of a year old (if that) when that movie came out. :tongue: :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  11. Nov 11, 2007 #10
    Bruce Dern is a cast member in HBO's 'Big Love'.

12. Nov 11, 2007 #11

turbo

Gold Member

Moonie, you're a baby!!!

13. Nov 11, 2007 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You would know Laura Dern as the scientist [female lead] in Jurassic Park.

I thought she was very good in the movie "Fat Man and Little Boy", which you may have seen.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  14. Nov 11, 2007 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, now we're firmly into my generation here. I never knew her name before (told you I don't pay any attention to those things).

15. Nov 12, 2007 #14
    [​IMG]

Bruce Dern is a character actor who specializes in playing strange, high strung characters. Sometimes he's the villain, sometimes the victim, sometimes the protagonist.

His daughter, Laura most often plays well adjusted, straight forward, normal, characters, but she also played a wicked wild chick extremely well.

[​IMG]

16. Nov 12, 2007 #15

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I was thinking the same thing.

Dern played bad guys in Westerns like Hang 'Em High back in the 60's.

He's still around. He did an interview a few months ago on the regional NPR station. He has an interesting background. The following war brought up during the interview.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Dern

17. Nov 12, 2007 #16

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've often wondered, did that movie feature Hollywood's first silent space explosion?

18. Nov 12, 2007 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, there was the scene in "2001" when Bowman re-enters the ship after HAL locked him out. IIRC, he blew the explosive bolts on the hatch of the space pod.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  19. Nov 12, 2007 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Trivia: First robot?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?