1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want to know the differences about isothermal process.

1. Jun 21, 2015 #1
    I'm sorry for bad english.
    I wonder what is the differences between reversible-isothermal-expansion and irreversible-isothermal-expansion.
    Is their entropy same?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2015 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi there
    welcome to PF :smile:

what have you discovered so far in your online research ?
    what there anything in information that you found that you didn't quite understand ?

cheers
    Dave

4. Jun 21, 2015 #3
    The answer to your question is covered in my recent Physics Forums Insights article at the following link: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/reversible-vs-irreversible-gas-compressionexpansion-work/

Regarding the entropy change, are the initial states of the system for the two paths the same? Are the final states of the system for the two paths the same? If so, what can you say about the entropy change? Even if the initial and final states for the two paths are the same, are the amount of work W and the amount of heat Q the same?

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook