Learn LaTeX: The Most Complete Tutorials

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter RJLiberator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to learn LaTeX and the availability of tutorials for doing so. The conversation also includes a recommendation to download a LaTeX editor and practice, as well as bookmarking useful websites for learning the symbols. The speaker also suggests learning by doing and provides a link to a recent thread on learning LaTeX for mathematics. It is suggested that a tutorial that is "good enough to get you started" is better than a "complete" one. The conversation ends with the closure of the thread due to a similar discussion already taking place.
RJLiberator
Gold Member
Hello,

I want to learn LaTeX. I've searched the web and there are clearly an abundance of tutorials around.

What do you consider to be the most complete tutorial on learning LaTeX? This could be in video form (as a video series) or a pdf/book form.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Another remark:
Sometimes I click on a reply button here only to see how they wrote the formulas.
You just have to delete the stuff before responding by chance. It also is remembered by the editor here sometimes, so it will remain.
Beside this, it's a short way to learn something.

1. What is LaTeX and why should I learn it?

LaTeX is a typesetting system commonly used for creating scientific and mathematical documents. It provides a professional and consistent layout for documents, making it popular among researchers and academics. Learning LaTeX can also improve the efficiency and accuracy of document creation.

2. What are the basic components of a LaTeX document?

A LaTeX document consists of a preamble, document class, and document content. The preamble includes packages, settings, and definitions that customize the document. The document class determines the overall layout and formatting. The document content includes the text, images, and equations that make up the document.

3. How do I insert equations in LaTeX?

LaTeX has a built-in equation editor that allows you to create complex mathematical equations. You can use the \begin{equation} and \end{equation} commands to insert equations, or use the amsmath package for advanced mathematical formatting options.

4. Can I use LaTeX for non-scientific documents?

While LaTeX is commonly used for scientific and technical documents, it can also be used for other types of documents such as resumes, letters, and presentations. However, it may not be the most suitable tool for creating simple documents with minimal formatting needs.

5. Where can I find resources to learn LaTeX?

There are many online resources available for learning LaTeX, including tutorials, forums, and documentation. Some popular websites include Overleaf, ShareLaTeX, and LaTeX Project. You can also find books and video courses on the subject. It's best to start with basic tutorials and gradually move on to more advanced topics.