I want to lern EE, but can not major in it.

• Programs
  • Thread starter fivestar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee Major
In summary, if you are an undergraduate majoring in math and want to become an engineer, you should focus on taking core courses in linear circuit analysis, signals, electromagnetics and some more specific field you are interested in.
fivestar
I am majoring in applied math, but i would like to learn some EE, and maybe get a job as an engineer if i can. My question is, what are the most important EE classes, the ones that i should take as electives in order to be a competent engineer, or atleast the ones that i need to know in order to do EE in graduate school. I just started my 3rd year of undergrad, so I'm not sure which dicipline a would rather study in grad school if i decide to go.

thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
fivestar said:
I am majoring in applied math, but i would like to learn some EE, and maybe get a job as an engineer if i can. My question is, what are the most important EE classes, the ones that i should take as electives in order to be a competent engineer, or atleast the ones that i need to know in order to do EE in graduate school. I just started my 3rd year of undergrad, so I'm not sure which dicipline a would rather study in grad school if i decide to go.

thanks for the help

Well.. if you are willing to take core classes of EE, I strongly suggest you at least get a minor in it. But as for the most important EE courses, I can think of circuit related courses, signals, electromagnetics.

But again, if you want to take EE courses, it's better if you just get a minor in it. (Or double major)

My recommendation is that first and foremost you MUST master basic linear circuit analysis. Beyond that, IMO if you have a good understanding of linear systems and signal processing and know how to work with some sort of field (EM, sound, fluids, etc) you probably can fill in the blanks as needed when you go into something more specialized on the job or in grad school. If you are looking at a particular field you should start studying that in more detail as well.

FYI, I've been in a somewhat similar position- I did physics and math as an undergrad but spent about a year total on two separate internships working as an engineer. I've known many engineers and engineering students and I think you'd be surprised how little the average engineering student takes out of their degree. Regarding engineering students, I'd guess that about 80-90% honestly don't care about what they are doing and when they take a class, they are only trying to get a good grade with little work, as opposed to learning the material. Of course this means they have gained little usable knowledge or skill when they graduate. In the industry I'd put it closer to 50% because there is a higher level of accountability, but even there, most people don't seem to apply what they learned in class nearly as much as what they learn on the job. Based on these observations I think the way to go is to really understand the basics (listed above) and then work on your specific interest. I don't think encountering in class the more advanced elements of a particular field you aren't interested in is important- most people don't take anything out of that anyways.

On the other hand, if you want to be very good and or versatile, you might want to add on a EE major and stick around an extra year, or, better yet, you should study and master the material covered in those courses outside of the courses.

thanks for the help.

My school doesn't offer a minor in EE. I will try to do as you suggested. Do you think i can get an internship in EE, with only a bachlors in applied math? I would try to continue my education as i work, if i could land a job or internship.

When I first got an internship, it was after my second year in school and the only technical classes I had up to that point were intro mechanics, intro e&m, calc 1-3, intro linear algebra and intro ODEs. Anything else I needed I learned there. Many internships are designed to be an introduction to a field. I would just apply to many places and try to develop connections with people in the industry.

1. Can I still learn EE without majoring in it?

Yes, you can still learn EE through various resources such as online courses, workshops, and self-study. It may require more effort and dedication, but it is definitely possible to gain knowledge and skills in EE without majoring in it.

2. What are some ways to learn EE outside of a college major?

There are many ways to learn EE outside of a college major. Some options include taking online courses from reputable sources, attending workshops and seminars, joining a maker/hacker space, and reading books and articles related to EE.

3. Will I be at a disadvantage if I don't major in EE?

Not necessarily. While having a degree in EE can be beneficial, it is not the only way to gain knowledge and skills in the field. With determination and hard work, you can still learn EE and excel in it without a major.

4. How can I balance learning EE with my current major?

One way to balance learning EE with your current major is to incorporate it into your academic schedule. You can take elective courses related to EE, attend workshops or seminars during breaks, or allocate time for self-study. It may require good time management, but it is possible to balance both areas of study.

5. Are there any tips for learning EE outside of a college major?

Yes, some tips for learning EE outside of a college major include setting clear goals, finding a mentor or study group, practicing hands-on projects, seeking out internships or job opportunities, and staying updated on industry developments. It is also important to stay motivated and persistent in your learning journey.