I would just like to confirm these homework question answers

• Thread starter chance master
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of three forces, all of unequal magnitude, acting on a single object to cancel out and create equilibrium. It is determined that according to Newton's 3rd Law, this is not possible. The concept of an equilateral triangle is brought up as an example and a scenario involving pulling a cart with a rope is suggested to further understand the concept.
chance master
Member warned to use the formatting template and choose descriptive thread titles.
True or False:
If three forces, all of equal magnitude, act on a single object can these forces be arranged to cancel out, so that the object is in equilibrium? (F)

If three forces, all of unequal magnitude with the other two, act on a single object, it is never possible for these
three forces to cancel, so we can deduce that there will be a net force on the object.(F)

According to Newton's 3rd Law, it is never possible for a single force to act on a single object.(T)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd like to hear your reasoning for your answer to number 1.

I figure that no matter which way you organize 3 forces of equal calibre(let's say 600N), you can never balance the 3 forces so that there would be a net force of zero on the object. I tried making a force diagram but I still came to the same conclusion.

chance master said:
I figure that no matter which way you organize 3 forces of equal calibre(let's say 600N), you can never balance the 3 forces so that there would be a net force of zero on the object. I tried making a force diagram but I still came to the same conclusion.
Do you understand the concept of an equilateral triangle?

Likes CWatters
For the third one, consider pulling a cart with a rope and examine the point of contact
of the rope with the cart (draw the force arrows) and see if you still arrive at the
same conclusion.

1. How can I check if my homework question answers are correct?

The best way to confirm your homework question answers is to review the material covered in class and use any provided answer keys or solutions. You can also ask your teacher or a tutor for clarification if you are unsure about any answers.

2. Can I use online resources to confirm my homework question answers?

While online resources can be helpful in understanding concepts and providing practice problems, it is important to use them as a supplement and not rely solely on them to confirm your answers. Make sure to use reputable sources and double check the answers to ensure accuracy.

3. How can I avoid making mistakes when confirming my homework question answers?

One way to avoid making mistakes is to carefully read and understand each question before attempting to answer it. It can also be helpful to double check your work and use multiple methods or approaches to solving the problem to ensure accuracy. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or classmate can help catch any errors you may have missed.

4. Should I only confirm my homework question answers when I am unsure?

It is always a good idea to confirm your answers, even if you are confident in them. Reviewing the material and double checking your work can help catch any mistakes and solidify your understanding of the concepts. This can also be a helpful study tool for exams and quizzes.

5. What should I do if my confirmed answers are different from the provided answer key?

If your confirmed answers are different from the provided answer key, it is important to review your work and try to identify where you went wrong. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor to understand the correct approach to the problem. Remember that it is okay to make mistakes and learning from them is an important part of the process.