1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I would just like to confirm these homework question answers

1. Sep 29, 2015 #1
    • Member warned to use the formatting template and choose descriptive thread titles.
    True or False:
    If three forces, all of equal magnitude, act on a single object can these forces be arranged to cancel out, so that the object is in equilibrium? (F)

If three forces, all of unequal magnitude with the other two, act on a single object, it is never possible for these
    three forces to cancel, so we can deduce that there will be a net force on the object.(F)

According to Newton's 3rd Law, it is never possible for a single force to act on a single object.(T)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'd like to hear your reasoning for your answer to number 1.

4. Sep 29, 2015 #3
    I figure that no matter which way you organize 3 forces of equal calibre(let's say 600N), you can never balance the 3 forces so that there would be a net force of zero on the object. I tried making a force diagram but I still came to the same conclusion.

5. Sep 29, 2015 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do you understand the concept of an equilateral triangle?

6. Oct 1, 2015 #5
    For the third one, consider pulling a cart with a rope and examine the point of contact
    of the rope with the cart (draw the force arrows) and see if you still arrive at the
    same conclusion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted