Which English Dialect is Better for Physics and Travel: American or British?

• Thread starter hager mahdy
  • Start date
In summary: Americans understand Brits, and vice versa, with little difficulty. The only difference is the accent, which can be funny to some.
hager mahdy said:
hi
my name is hager
iam from egypt
please help me iam very despair

i want to ask you aquestion

whats the better to learn american english or british english
i want to be searcher in physics and to travel abroad

and in my whole life

whats honestly the better thing to me please help me?

without prejudice

thaaaaank you

Well, I think it is fair to say British English--being that is what all other forms are derived from.

Truthfully, and as others have already said: there isn't much difference really between American and British English; maybe some very slight pronunciations and spellings--as in the case of Al-lu-mih-Num versus Al-lu-miN-Yum (certainly nothing to get into trouble over).

If you ultimately decide American, they say that the accent (or lack there of) that television news tries to emulate is the "Great Lakes" sound--which, in my opinion, is like having no accent at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
FrancisZ said:
If you ultimately decide American, they say that the accent (or lack there of) that television news tries to emulate is the "Great Lakes" sound--which, in my opinion, is like having no accent at all.

Midwestern, yep yep. Lots of sports announcers/TV anchors have that accent.

lisab said:
He pronounced "kinetic energy" so strangely. The first "i" in kinetic was long, and he said energy as if it didn't have the letter "e". Like, "KY-net-ic INN-i-gee". Never heard it pronounced that way by anyone else, and I can still hear his voice in my head.
:biggrin: Y'got summa that thar KY-net-ic INN-i-gee.

Anyone remember Charlie Farquharson and his Jogfree of Canda?

I had the pleasure of working with a lady from New Zealand once. Her accent resembled that of officer Crabtree a bit. Luckily she was fully aware of the communication complications.

Last edited by a moderator:

Funny, yes, but you do know the difference between "laugh tracks" and "filmed before a live studio audience," don't you?

Not the point, although they go through a great length to try and decieve that's indeed a live studio audience.

Check time 1:25 - 1:27

But that lady really had something of that accent with the most unexpected vowels. That was the point

Last edited by a moderator:
Andre said:
Not the point, although they go through a great length to try and decieve that's indeed a live studio audience.

Hilarious, Andre, but how in the world do you reconcile these sort of antics with the OP, to wit:

hi
my name is hager
iam from egypt
please help me iam very despair

i want to ask you aquestion

whats the better to learn american english or british english
i want to be searcher in physics and to travel abroad

and in my whole life

whats honestly the better thing to me please help me?

without prejudice

thaaaaank you

Ah but the conversation had drifted towards new Zealand accent:

lisab said:
Hmm, do any PFers know if Australia or New Zealand have geographic differences in accents?..

Hence I illustrated my experience with New Zealand accent, as I perceived that it compared to

Pst3azDYfiI&[/youtube]

Andre said:

2007 edition was special:

On 22 March 2007, a one-off special episode entitled The Return of 'Allo 'Allo! was filmed in Manchester, and was broadcast on 28 April 2007 at 9 pm on BBC 2. The storyline involves René writing his memoirs after the war, and the events from the final episode in 1992 have been overlooked. The new scenes were interspersed with clips from the original series and new interviews. The actors who reprised their roles were: Gorden Kaye, Vicki Michelle, Sue Hodge, Kirsten Cooke, Arthur Bostrom, Guy Siner, Robin Parkinson, John D. Collins and Nicholas Frankau. Jeremy Lloyd wrote the new material.

I can't believe Allo Allo is a big hit over there. :tongue:

YChromatic said:
Thank you sweet lisab. :!)
Hihi, I thought I tried to recognize them by facial and skull structures (someone able to help me with hints is always best appreciated)

The below image is for lisab only
Please ignore my colors used, I just like them all

Aw that's sweet, thanks YChromatic! Your colors are starting to grow on me, I think :smile:.

(Note that's colors not colours :tongue2:)

Evo said:
The sun never goes down on the British Empire, at one time you had colonized a great portion of third world countries, for example Canada.

I laughed for awhile.

Dickfore said:
I laughed for awhile.

Well in all fairness it didn't just jump to being a "1st world" country.

jarednjames said:
Well in all fairness it didn't just jump to being a "1st world" country.

What's a 1st world country?

Dickfore said:
So, what is it?

If you can't be bothered to read, that is your problem not mine.

jarednjames said:

Providing a link is considered low-content posting. If you can't bother to explain your argument with more than a link and sarcastic comments, that is your problem, not mine. What is a "1st world country"?

Dickfore said:
Providing a link is considered low-content posting. If you can't bother to explain your argument with more than a link and sarcastic comments, that is your problem, not mine. What is a "1st world country"?

First World countries in general have very advanced economies and very high Human Development indices. On the other hand, the United Nations defined the First World on the wealth of the nation's Gross National Product (GNP). The definition of the First World is now less concrete than during the Cold War.

Does that help? Nothing more to add really. I think that says it all.

And don't have a bash at me. 30 seconds on Google would answer your question and yet you post it for someone else to answer for you. Don't take it personally, I just find this rather irritating.

First World countries in general have very advanced economies and very high Human Development indices. On the other hand, the United Nations defined the First World on the wealth of the nation's Gross National Product (GNP). The definition of the First World is now less concrete than during the Cold War.

Good thing Canada was not founded after WWII then, I guess.

Stop bickering. This has all been in good fun so far. Let's keep it that way.

Jasongreat said:
We were peopled by, as well as part of the british empire. So one could say we also had claim to those wars, as well as the win where we separated and formed the US which would put us one up. :)

-1 for Vietnam.

American spelling makes more sense, I think; and, I have to confess, I like the Texas accent. Recieved Pronunciation is not too bad so long as it isn't over the top: an example of a nice accent is Stephen Fry's. I suppose mine would be considered Cockney, or a derivation thereof.

Dickfore said:

It is very odd that you have never heard this term. jj was right is presuming you'd need to educate yourself about it.

jarednjames said:

I agree with you, Jared. I followed the link and actually learned something! Everyone's heard of "third world countries," but I'd always thought it had to do with them being at the bottom third, economy-wise.

Now I know better. Thanks for the link!

mugaliens said:
I agree with you, Jared. I followed the link and actually learned something! Everyone's heard of "third world countries," but I'd always thought it had to do with them being at the bottom third, economy-wise.

Now I know better. Thanks for the link!

Myself also. I didn't realize there was a 'second world'. (not sure why I assumed they would skip it though.)

jarednjames said:
Myself also. I didn't realize there was a 'second world'. (not sure why I assumed they would skip it though.)

In my youth I was always told what you think is 2nd world was in fact the 1st one.

Borek said:
In my youth I was always told what you think is 2nd world was in fact the 1st one.

The boundary between them seems rather blurry from what I've read.

jarednjames said:
The boundary between them seems rather blurry from what I've read.

It was at the time when the boundary was perfectly clear.

Tom Mattson said:
Oh, the difference between Australian and New Zealand accents is enormous.

Observe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2gii2nenUg&feature=related

Ha ha! To me, the New Zealand accent sounds more British than the Australian accent. But there probably are regional accents that I can't detect, sort of like someone from outside the US probably wouldn't be able to tell a NY from a NJ accent.

To the OP, if you find a course taught by a native speaker of English, regardless of where they're from, learn it from them. Once you learn either form of English, it will be a small effort to learn the differences between them later.

I'm wondering, in this argument between American English and British English, besides the different accents and words like 'elevator' vs 'lift', are there Science-related terms that are different? So far I only know of spelling differences, like the 'aluminum' vs 'aluminium' mentioned earlier.

I've been learning in British English in writing but we do not speak in British English/Queen's English/BBC English accent. And I've been using 'sulphur' for the longest time until lately the local Ministry of Education proposed a spelling change to 'sulfur'.

Also, if American English is chosen, by extension, would the units like miles and pounds be used instead of the metric system? :shy:

I think that it doesn't matter which English is chosen because as you study a subject, you tend to read up more and be exposed to many materials from many sources and in contact with many people with different accents, so the 'minor' differences like 'color' and 'colour' pose no problem at all. o:)

thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank you (all)very much
you helped me greately