Iam really lost with this question

• Thread starter HelloMotto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost
In summary, the curling stone with mass 20.0 kg leaves the curler's hand at a speed of 0.885 m/s. It slides 31.5 down the rink before coming to rest. The average force of friction acting on the stone is F= ma. Assuming constant friction force, there will be a constant acceleration. With constant acceleration, the average speed is just the average of the beginning and ending speeds. Knowing that, what time is taken to go 31.5 m? Once you know that, you can find the acceleration (negative- it deceleration) and then use F= ma, together with F= km where k is the coefficient of friction, to find k.
HelloMotto

Homework Statement

A curling stone with mass 20.0 kg leaves the curler's hand at a speed of 0.885 m/s. It slides 31.5 down the rink before coming to rest.

Find the Average force of friction acting on the stone.

I have no clue as to what to do with this question. Can someone just guide and head me towards the right direction please? thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming constant friction force, there will be a constant acceleration. With constant acceleration, the average speed is just the average of the beginning and ending speeds. Here you are told the beginning speed and, of course, the ending speed is 0 so you can easily find the average speed. Knowing that, what time is taken to go 31.5 m? Once you know that, you can find the acceleration (negative- it deceleration) and then use F= ma, together with F= km where k is the coefficient of friction, to find k.

ok when I am finding the coeffeicient of friction, do i enter the Friction force as a negative or positive? Cause I don't think there's a negative coefficient of friction...unless if I am wrong.

By choosing the direction that will be positive at the beginning, and sticking to it, you can decide whether the friction force will end up positive or negative. It really does not matter, because you have to very carefully keep track of which parts of the motion it affects anyway. This is because the friction always acts to oppose the motion. In more complicated motions, the friction will happily reverse direction all by itself.

Fortunately for us, this friction always gets to act in one direction!

Suppose you deliberately state at the outset that directions positive for everything will be the direction the curling stone is headed when it is launched. The friction force will be opposing, so expect it might end up negative. The stone is decelerating to come to a halt. Expect the acceleration you get will be negative.

First, you have to figure out the acceleration (negative) of that stone. HallsofIvy has given you quite a fast easy way to get to it, which takes advantage of knowing the force is constant.

You can also use the basic equations of motion. There is one that provides the final velocity given the initial velocity, the acceleration, and the time it was applied. There is another which provides the distance covered, from also knowing those very same things. You can enter the information you know, and work the two together to end up knowing the acceleration.

Regardless that it might have a minus sign (which tells you the direction), you can use the value to do the final step. You will need Newton's Law that describes the acceleration of a mass when a force is applied.

This is the place where you get to show your attempt at a solution. Equations of motion and Newtons Law. This site, your own books and notes, or even a search engine will do. Get them first, and let us have it clear how they work. If you still do not understand them, we will try and help you

1. What should I do when I am really lost with a question?

When you are feeling lost with a question, the first step is to take a deep breath and stay calm. Then, try to break down the question into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also try discussing the question with a classmate or your teacher for further clarification.

2. How can I improve my understanding of a difficult question?

One way to improve your understanding of a difficult question is to look for keywords and key phrases that can give you a clue about what the question is asking. You can also try researching the topic further or practicing similar questions to build your knowledge and understanding.

3. What if I am still stuck after trying to break down the question?

If you are still feeling lost with a question after breaking it down, it may be helpful to take a short break and come back to it with a fresh perspective. You can also try asking your teacher or a classmate for help, or seeking additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.

4. How can I avoid getting lost with a question in the future?

To prevent getting lost with a question in the future, make sure you are actively engaged in your studies and keeping up with class material. It is also helpful to ask questions and seek clarification when needed, and to practice critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

5. Is it okay to ask for help when I am lost with a question?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help when you are feeling lost with a question. In fact, seeking help can often lead to a better understanding and mastery of the topic. Remember, asking for help is a sign of strength and determination to learn and improve.