Idea of atomtronics at the JILA site

• Thread starter intelwanderer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea
In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of atomtronics, which is the use of atoms in electronic devices. The participants were interested in learning more about it and asked questions about its potential, current research groups, and the possibility of switching subfields in research from undergraduate to graduate studies. Atomtronics has potential for applications in fields such as single-atom transistors and quantum computing, and it is currently being researched at various universities.
intelwanderer
Hello everyone,

So I was looking around on the web and came across the idea of atomtronics at the JILA site. It was really cool, and I'm trying to learn more about it. Does anyone here know about it or work with it? If so, what is it like?

What is the future potential of this as opposed to spintronics or "regular" semiconductor research as to future application and funding? I'd still be interested even if it doesn't have any long term application, but I would like to know.

Does anybody know any groups working on this? I know groups at CU Boulder, UMD, Rice and UCR are, any others? None at my university though.

I also have one other general question(which maybe shouldn't be here, but I'm pretty sure that if I go to physics grad school, it'll be in one of the fields covered by this forum. Or at least as sure as an undergraduate is capable of being.). How hard is it to switch subfields in research from undergrad to grad school. Say, I do AMO or plasma physics research as an undergrad, but condensed matter or materials for graduate? Would it hurt admissions chances?

Thank you very much in advance! I'm doing my best to get these answers on my own, but I thought I'd "spread the net", so to speak.

Physics news on Phys.org

I have no clue what "atomtronics" might be but the name seems peculiar. Atoms are typically far larger than electrons so "atomtronics" would seem to me to be much slower and more awkward than standard "electronics"!

Last edited by a moderator:

This is already researched. Search for Don Eigler and his "writing IBM with Xenon" or "CO molecule logic gate".

What is atomtronics?

Atomtronics is a relatively new field of research that combines the principles of electronics and quantum mechanics with atoms as the building blocks. It aims to create devices that use atoms as the basic unit of operation, similar to how electronic devices use electrons.

How does the JILA site play a role in atomtronics research?

The JILA (Joint Institute for Laboratory Astrophysics) site is a research facility located in Colorado, USA, that specializes in studying the properties and behaviors of atoms and molecules. Their state-of-the-art equipment and expertise make it an ideal site for conducting experiments related to atomtronics.

What are some potential applications of atomtronics at the JILA site?

Atomtronics has the potential to revolutionize various fields, such as computing, sensing, and communication. At the JILA site, researchers are exploring the possibilities of creating ultra-fast, low-power, and highly sensitive devices using atomtronics technology.

What are the current challenges in developing atomtronics at the JILA site?

One of the main challenges in atomtronics research is the precise control and manipulation of individual atoms. The JILA site is working towards overcoming this challenge by using advanced techniques like laser cooling and trapping to control the motion and interactions of atoms.

What are the future prospects of atomtronics at the JILA site?

The JILA site is constantly pushing the boundaries of atomtronics research and has already made significant contributions to the field. The future prospects of atomtronics at the JILA site are promising, with potential breakthroughs in quantum computing, precision measurements, and quantum simulations on the horizon.