How Do You Calculate Ideal-Gas Temperature from Mercury Pressure Data?

In summary, the task at hand is to calculate the ideal-gas temperature Tg of mercury using given measurements of Ptp and corresponding values of P. To do this, one must evaluate the ratios of P/Ptp for each pair, and then approximate the limit as P approaches zero. The resulting value can be used to calculate Tg to five significant figures.
zacl79

Homework Statement

I have been given measurements of Ptp and corresponding values of P for mercury. My task is to calculate the idea-gas temperature Tg of the material to five significant figures.

Ptp| 1000.0|750.00|500.00|250.00|
P |1535.3 |1151.6| 767.82| 383.95|

Homework Equations

Tg(K) = 273.16 lim Pt ->0 (P/Ptp)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok i have read up on the ideal gas temperature scale, and sort of grasp it. I have graphed the table and got and equations relating the line to be:

P = 1.5351x +0.21

I don't believe that this is the right way to go about this problem. I am just asking for some direction, as i have hit a wall.

Thanks Zac

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming that the 'material' is mercury.

I recommend you evaluate the ratios P/Ptp for each of the four pairs. Take 6 sig figs, i.e. 5 decimal places. You should notice a simple quantitative trend. So what looks to be the limit as P approaches zero?

Say if you get stuck.

Thanks Philip, i managed to get it sorted, i found an approximation for Lim Ptp->0 (P/Ptp), when i graphed P/Ptp Vs Pt so then was able to approximate the limit to find out my temperature.
Thanks heaps

419.56 k ?

yep, exactly

FAQ: How Do You Calculate Ideal-Gas Temperature from Mercury Pressure Data?

1. What is an ideal gas temperature problem?

An ideal gas temperature problem is a physics problem that involves using the ideal gas law to calculate the temperature of a gas under certain conditions.

2. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is expressed as PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

3. What are the assumptions of an ideal gas temperature problem?

The assumptions of an ideal gas temperature problem are that the gas is in a closed system, the gas particles do not interact with each other, and the gas particles have negligible volume compared to the volume of the container.

4. How do you solve an ideal gas temperature problem?

To solve an ideal gas temperature problem, you need to know the values of at least three of the variables in the ideal gas law equation (P, V, n, T). You can then rearrange the equation to solve for the unknown variable.

5. What are some real-life applications of ideal gas temperature problems?

Ideal gas temperature problems have many real-life applications, such as determining the temperature and pressure inside a sealed container, calculating the volume of gas needed for a chemical reaction, and understanding the behavior of gases in weather patterns.

Back