1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal-Gas Temperature Problem

1. Jul 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have been given measurements of Ptp and corresponding values of P for mercury. My task is to calculate the idea-gas temperature Tg of the material to five significant figures.

Ptp| 1000.0|750.00|500.00|250.00|
    P |1535.3 |1151.6| 767.82| 383.95|

2. Relevant equations

Tg(K) = 273.16 lim Pt ->0 (P/Ptp)

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok i have read up on the ideal gas temperature scale, and sort of grasp it. I have graphed the table and got and equations relating the line to be:

P = 1.5351x +0.21

I dont believe that this is the right way to go about this problem. I am just asking for some direction, as i have hit a wall.

Thanks Zac

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2011 #2

Philip Wood

Gold Member

I'm assuming that the 'material' is mercury.

I recommend you evaluate the ratios P/Ptp for each of the four pairs. Take 6 sig figs, i.e. 5 decimal places. You should notice a simple quantitative trend. So what looks to be the limit as P approaches zero?

Say if you get stuck.

4. Jul 20, 2011 #3
    Thanks Philip, i managed to get it sorted, i found an approximation for Lim Ptp->0 (P/Ptp), when i graphed P/Ptp Vs Pt so then was able to approximate the limit to find out my temperature.
    Thanks heaps

5. Jul 20, 2011 #4

Philip Wood

Gold Member

419.56 k ?

6. Jul 20, 2011 #5
    yep, exactly

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook