Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Ideal-Gas Temperature Problem

1. Jul 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have been given measurements of Ptp and corresponding values of P for mercury. My task is to calculate the idea-gas temperature Tg of the material to five significant figures.

Ptp| 1000.0|750.00|500.00|250.00|
    P |1535.3 |1151.6| 767.82| 383.95|

2. Relevant equations

Tg(K) = 273.16 lim Pt ->0 (P/Ptp)

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok i have read up on the ideal gas temperature scale, and sort of grasp it. I have graphed the table and got and equations relating the line to be:

P = 1.5351x +0.21

I dont believe that this is the right way to go about this problem. I am just asking for some direction, as i have hit a wall.

Thanks Zac

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2011 #2

Philip Wood

Gold Member

I'm assuming that the 'material' is mercury.

I recommend you evaluate the ratios P/Ptp for each of the four pairs. Take 6 sig figs, i.e. 5 decimal places. You should notice a simple quantitative trend. So what looks to be the limit as P approaches zero?

Say if you get stuck.

4. Jul 20, 2011 #3
    Thanks Philip, i managed to get it sorted, i found an approximation for Lim Ptp->0 (P/Ptp), when i graphed P/Ptp Vs Pt so then was able to approximate the limit to find out my temperature.
    Thanks heaps

5. Jul 20, 2011 #4

Philip Wood

Gold Member

419.56 k ?

6. Jul 20, 2011 #5
    yep, exactly

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook