Brainstorm Ideas for Project - Get Suggestions on Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of writing a paper on modelling a system and its differential equations. The individual is seeking ideas and suggestions on relevant articles and papers, specifically mentioning topics such as orbital mechanics, Kepler's laws, relativity, pendulum and wave motion. They also mention the use of Wikipedia as a source and the importance of being able to numerically integrate the differential equations accurately. The conversation concludes with the individual deciding to focus on the double pendulum and exploring the accuracy of solutions in different scenarios.
faradayscat
I will be writing a paper by modelling a system and its differential equations. I have just started brainstorming ideas but I would also like to hear other peoples' ideas as well!

I have these ideas so far, can anybody suggest relevant articles or papers on these topics (avoid wikipedia if possible):

-Orbital mechanics/dynamics
-Kepler's laws of planetary motion
-General and/or special relativity
-Pendulum motion
-Wave motion

I look forward to reading your ideas and suggestions!

Physics news on Phys.org
It helps to have a better idea of the specific goals, boundaries, and tools.

The double pendulum can be interesting, as can a number of other dynamical systems in 2 dimensions, but you need to be able to numerically integrate the diff eqs quickly with lots of different initial conditions.

Wikipedia can be a good place to find ideas and the related more reliable sources.

Likes faradayscat
If you are newish to differential equations, the planar differential equation of the position and velocity of the damped (simple) pendulum is extremely enlightening.

Likes faradayscat
The non-linear pendulum. Know it? In the linear case, you can only (initially) perturb the pendulum a small amount before the solution looses accuracy. However, in the non-linear case, you can smack the pendulum so hard so that it goes round and round and the solution will still accurately describe it's motion. Pretty sure. You can investigate this assertion and determine if it is true.

Likes faradayscat
Thank you all for your answers, I'm going with the double pendulum.

Numerically solving advection-dominated transport problems (with weak diffusion present) to obtain accurate solutions without requiring minute time steps for stability or for avoiding wiggles in the concentration profiles.

1. What are differential equations and how are they used in projects?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how a quantity changes over time. They are commonly used in projects to model real-world phenomena, such as population growth or chemical reactions.

2. What are some common methods for solving differential equations?

There are several methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and using integral transforms. Each method has its own advantages and is useful for different types of equations.

3. How can I come up with ideas for a project involving differential equations?

One way to brainstorm project ideas is to think about real-world problems or systems that can be modeled using differential equations. You can also look at past projects or research to get inspiration.

4. Are there any software or tools available to help with working on differential equation projects?

Yes, there are several software and tools available that can assist with solving and graphing differential equations. Some popular options include MATLAB, Mathematica, and Wolfram Alpha.

5. What are some tips for successfully completing a project involving differential equations?

It is important to thoroughly understand the problem and the equations involved before attempting to solve them. It can also be helpful to break the problem down into smaller, manageable steps and to check your work along the way. Don't be afraid to ask for help or consult with a mentor or advisor if needed.