Identify emission line spectrum

In summary, the textbook says that the energy levels of a hydrogen atom are as shown in Figure (a), but the author claims that E0 = -13.6 eV. However, I came up with a different set of wavelengths which match Figure (b) more closely.
desmond iking

Homework Statement

refer to the question

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

from figure b , moving to the right, we know that the wavelength increases. since e= hc/λ , so the energy diffrenece should be increases as going to the right, so i consider line 1,2 and 3 is in a specific series , and 4,5 in another series. line 1,2,3 should have higher energy difference , the question ask for electron transition ftom E1 to E0 . So , my ans is line 3 . but the line 3 is not choice for this question. the ans is line 5 . why? [/B]

Attachments

• IMG_20141008_153216[1].jpg
    IMG_20141008_153216[1].jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 411
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Des. Posting goes against a whole lot of PF guidelines -- as you probably are well aware.
So I can't state here that I agree with your reasoning and the book answer must be in error.

desmond iking said:
, the question ask for electron transition ftom E1 to E0 . So , my ans is line 3 . but the line 3 is not choice for this question. the ans is line 5 . why?
I would have said line 3, too.

Hard to say. There are 6 possibilities, not 5, but E1 to E0 and E3 to E1 are about the same. I guess both of these could be 3.

Yes the wavelength increases to the right, but the energy of the produced photons decreases to the right according to your formula since the energy is inversely proportional to the wavelength, that is the energy of the photons decreases as the wavelength increases. So the higher energy lines is on the left and the lower energy on the right. The key to the answer is in the remark rude man made. The wavelengths and energies of the two transitions he mentions are close together. Why? And which transition will give the shorter wavelength of the two?

We are told it's the hydrogen spectrum. So we know the Lyman Series is well-separated from the Balmer Series. This would seem to leave no room for debate.

Last edited:
The energy scale in the figure can be logarithmic. :)

ehild

so can someone draw a conclusion?

desmond iking said:

My conclusion is that the official answer is wrong as it happens very frequently.

desmond iking said:
I think ehild is right, the answer is wrong. It must be 3 if there IS a right answer.

desmond iking said:
I agree with myself. Definitely 3.

It's physics, not some kind of referendum, for goodness sake. You've had four heavyweights backing you up !

Likes desmond iking
desmond iking said:
Was there a 6th line in the spectrum, one which got blotted out? Just wondering...

When Q doesn't match A, sometimes it's the question which is wrong. Not always is the textbook's answer at fault :w

We are told it's the hydrogen spectrum
No we are told these are some of the energy levels in the H atom.

It could well be the student only has the 1/n2 expression for the energy levels at this point in the curriculum, (he doesn't give any relevant equations at all) and in that case, from the ratios of the energy differences (assuming a linear scale, I admit), E0 in the picture is for n = 4 with reasonable certainty. Gives wavelengths in the micrometer range (2.2, 2.6, 4.1, 4.7, 7.5, 12.4). So even then, the wavelength picture doesn't fit qualitatively.

But for sure E1 -> E0 is the center of the five lines (where we still have to assume the sixth is off-scale to the right -- or cut off by the student :-) ).

Too many assumptions, pictures too vague. What book is this from ?

Why is it so? Thank you all mentor!

BvU said:
No we are told these are some of the energy levels in the H atom.
We are clearly told the line spectrum pertains to the hydrogen atom.

desmond iking said:
Why is it so? Thank you all mentor!
Why is what so ?

Homework Statement

Figure (a) below shows some of the energy levels of a hydrogen atom ...

is what the text says. We are somehat brainwashed to think E0 = -13.6 eV, but the author can name the levels any way he wants -- if he is devious enough. I had fun measuring the y coordinates on my screen and found 0, 79, 124, 149 mm. Matches 0, 1/16-1/25, 1/16-1/35, 1/16-1/49 suspiciously well. in eV that would give 0, 0.306, 0.472, 0.572.

With

Homework Equations

$$ E = {hc \over \lambda} $$
So ##\lambda = {hc\over eE}## if E is in eV (e = 1.6e-19 Coulomb), the wavelengths I came up with -- and that don't match the righthand Figure (b) :(

1. What is an emission line spectrum?

An emission line spectrum is a pattern of distinct lines of light that are emitted by excited atoms or molecules. These lines correspond to specific wavelengths of light and are created when electrons in the atoms or molecules drop from higher energy levels to lower ones.

2. How is an emission line spectrum produced?

An emission line spectrum is produced when atoms or molecules are excited, typically by high temperatures or electrical discharge. As electrons in the excited atoms or molecules return to their ground state, they emit light at specific wavelengths, creating the characteristic emission lines.

3. What information can be obtained from an emission line spectrum?

An emission line spectrum can provide information about the chemical composition of a substance, as each element or molecule has its own unique set of emission lines. It can also reveal the temperature and density of the source, as well as any motion or energy shifts of the emitting particles.

4. What is the difference between an emission line spectrum and an absorption line spectrum?

An emission line spectrum consists of bright lines on a dark background, while an absorption line spectrum consists of dark lines on a continuous spectrum. This is because an emission line spectrum is created by excited particles emitting light, while an absorption line spectrum is created by particles absorbing specific wavelengths of light.

5. How is an emission line spectrum used in scientific research?

Emission line spectra are essential tools in many areas of scientific research, including astronomy, chemistry, and physics. They can be used to identify the chemical composition of stars and other celestial objects, analyze the properties of materials, and study the behavior of atoms and molecules. They are also used in the development of new technologies, such as lasers and LED lights.