Rewriting a Riemann Sum Statement: Identify the Function

• Thread starter cybercrypt13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation involved identifying and rewriting a Riemann Sum involving a sum sign and a formula for the sum of squares. The attempt at a solution involved using the formula for the sum of squares and the conversation ended with the speaker still looking for how to rewrite the Riemann Sum.
cybercrypt13

Homework Statement

We were asked to identify and rewrite the following statement. Not sure how to do a sum sign here so will just write sum for it:

sum (lower i=0)(upper 2n) (i/n)^2 (1/n) = 1/n^3[ 1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 + ... + (2n)^2

Homework Equations

I believe this is a Riemann Sum but not sure how to rewrite it.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have :

I'm still looking for how to rewrite.

Thanks,
glenn

Physics news on Phys.org
cybercrypt13 said:

Homework Statement

We were asked to identify and rewrite the following statement. Not sure how to do a sum sign here so will just write sum for it:

sum (lower i=0)(upper 2n) (i/n)^2 (1/n) = 1/n^3[ 1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 + ... + (2n)^2
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{2n}\frac{i^2}{n^3}[/tex]
Note that this is NOT i3!

Homework Equations

I believe this is a Riemann Sum but not sure how to rewrite it.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have :

I'm still looking for how to rewrite.

Thanks,
glenn
Do you know a formula for the sum of squares: 1+ 4+ 9+ 16+ ...?

What is the purpose of identifying a function?

The purpose of identifying a function is to understand how different mathematical quantities are related to each other. It also helps to analyze and solve mathematical problems, as well as make predictions and draw conclusions based on the function's behavior.

How do you identify a function?

To identify a function, you must determine if each input value is associated with exactly one output value. This can be done by graphing the function and checking for the vertical line test, or by examining the ordered pairs in a table or list. If each input has a unique output, the relation is a function.

What is the difference between a function and a relation?

A function is a specific type of relation where each input value has exactly one output value. In other words, each input has a unique output. A relation, on the other hand, is a general term that describes any set of ordered pairs. A relation can be a function, but not all relations are functions.

What are the key components of a function?

The key components of a function include the independent variable (x), the dependent variable (y), the domain (all possible input values), and the range (all possible output values). The function can also be represented by an equation, graph, or table of values.

How is a function used in real-world applications?

Functions are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as predicting population growth, modeling the stock market, and calculating interest rates. They can also be used to analyze data, make forecasts, and solve real-life problems in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering.