1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identify the value of δ( accur. to 2 dec. places) that corresponds to ε=0.01?

1. May 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Identify the value of δ( accur. to 2 dec. places) that corresponds to ε=0.01, given lim x->-1 (x^2+3)=4, according to the definition of limits.

2. Relevant equations

|f(x)- L| < ε

0<|x-a| < δ

3. The attempt at a solution

|(x^2+3)- 4| <0.01

|x^2-1| <0.01

|x-1||x+1| <0.01

This where I have no idea what to with |x-1|. Do I divide 0.01 by |x-1|? Any hints, please?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You don't want to divide by |x- 1|, you want to divide by a number which means that you need to replace |x- 1| by a number that keeps the inequality true.

You only need to prove this for x "close" to -1 so start by assuming that |x-(-1)|= |x+ 1|< 1 (1 is chosen just as a convenient value- any positive number would work). That is, that -1< x+1< 1. Subtracting 2 from each part, -3< x- 1< -1 which is the same as saying that |x- 1|> 1. We want ">" here because now we can say that if we replace |x- 1| by 1 in |x- 1||x+ 1| we have replace it by something larger: |x-1||x+1|< |x+ 1|. If we take |x+1|< .001 then it is certainly true that |x-1||x+1|< |x+1|< .001.

4. May 16, 2012 #3
    Hi, HallsOfIvy. I appreciate your answer. Just never got around to answering to this thread. Wanted to acknowledge I read your answer and probably will have some questions once I finally have time to look at it a bit closer. Thank You, HallsOfIvy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook