Identifying Stresses in Structural Design

• Thread starter BurningUrge
  • Start date
In summary, the wireblock is designed to be able to withstand forces 5 times its usual load, and it is not subject to shear stress.
BurningUrge
This isn't really a hard question, but it's been a while since I did this and I would just like to make absolute sure.

This is an exceptionally simplistic draft of a wireblock (open at one side to allow for wire to be threaded over while each side of the wire is attached to the ballast). It's not meant to be pretty, not meant to be advanced or anything of the sorts. Personally I was vastly better at everything related to Processing, Gas, Energy and Petroleum and whatnot when it came to Mechanical Engineering, so structural design was never quite my field of expertise.. but I digress.

Anyway, the point for me right now is to identify each stress. The pieces are meant to fit snuggly together and then welded. Assuming that the surface area of each "slot" that slides inside the openings of the other pieces is of adequate area to withstand the forces (it is designed to tolerate 5 times the designated load it would usually carry, for longevity purposes), and assume that the material is strong enough to resist the momentum bends.

The thing I wonder is, would this design encounter shearstress? I know it would if the pieces were just flat and put "wall to wall" and welded together. But with the slots for them to slide into, would this not remove shear stress from the equation?

Just take a look at the VERY basic paint-drawing I made. Ignore that it's clearly not evenly spread. Just imagine that the force down on the middle is directly below the force upwards.

https://ibb.co/mqQWMQ

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is the purpose of identifying stresses in structural design?

The purpose of identifying stresses in structural design is to ensure the structural integrity and safety of a building or structure. By identifying potential stress points, engineers and designers can make necessary adjustments and reinforcements to prevent structural failure.

2. How are stresses identified in structural design?

Stresses can be identified through various methods such as using computer simulations, physical testing, and calculations based on the materials and load-bearing capacities of the structure. Engineers may also refer to building codes and standards to determine acceptable stress levels.

3. What are the most common types of stresses in structural design?

The most common types of stresses in structural design include compression, tension, bending, and shear. Compression occurs when a force pushes down on a structure, tension occurs when a force pulls on a structure, bending occurs when a structure is subjected to both compression and tension forces, and shear occurs when forces act in opposite directions parallel to each other.

4. How do structural engineers account for stresses in their designs?

Structural engineers use various techniques and tools to account for stresses in their designs. This may include using stronger materials, adding reinforcements, or altering the shape and design of the structure to distribute stress more evenly. Computer-aided design (CAD) software also allows engineers to simulate and analyze stress levels in a structure before construction.

5. What are the consequences of not identifying stresses in structural design?

Failing to identify stresses in structural design can have serious consequences such as structural failure, which can lead to property damage, injuries, and even loss of life. In addition, it can result in costly repairs and legal liabilities. It is crucial for engineers to properly identify and account for stresses in their designs to ensure the safety and stability of structures.