Identity for the probability of a coin having an even number of heads

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the identity of an even number of heads resulting from n independent tosses with probability p. The conversation involves expanding the equation and using Newton's binomial expansion to prove the identity.
koab1mjr

Homework Statement

Given that n independent tosses having probability of p of coming up heads are made, show that an even number of heads results is 0.5(1+(q-p)^n) where q is 1-p, by proving the identity
Sigma from i=0 to n/2 of (n choose 2i) (p^2i)(q^(n-2i))=0.5(((p+q)^n)+(q-p)^n)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I expanded it, (n choose 0)p^0 q^n + (n choose 2)p^2 q^(n-2)+...letting i=n/2 we get (n choose n)p^n q (n-n) ends up being just p^n.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi koab1mjr! :smile:

(have a sigma: ∑ and try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)
koab1mjr said:

Homework Statement

Given that n independent tosses having probability of p of coming up heads are made, show that an even number of heads results is 0.5(1+(q-p)^n) where q is 1-p, by proving the identity

Hint: start at the end …

what is the coefficient of pjqn-j of 0.5(((p+q)n)+(q-p)n) for j even? and for j odd? :wink:

thanks, but...
I tried it, but i am still not getting it, because starting from the end for even, i got p^2q^(n-2), p^4q^(n-4) and so on, plus i cannot get the factorials to work out...

(just got up :zzz: …)
koab1mjr said:
…for even, i got p^2q^(n-2), p^4q^(n-4) and so on …

(please use the X2 tag just above the Reply box)

p2qn-2 time what? p4qn-4 times what? … p2jqn-2j times what?

Couldn't resist: The probability of a coin having an even number of heads should be zero.:smile:

timing each one by (n choose 2), (n choose 4), and so on until i hits n/2, and at that point all becomes just p^n
?

Hi koab1mjr! :smile
koab1mjr said:
timing each one by (n choose 2), (n choose 4), and so on until i hits n/2, and at that point all becomes just p^n
?

(you can write that nC2 etc :wink:)

Yup! :smile:

And that's exactly the left-hand-side of the original identity, isn't it? :wink:

yeah, when you plug in i=n/2 on the he left side you get p^n, but when you expand the right side and at the end you do the exact same thing, but the problem is that the identity of (1/2)[(p+q)^n + (q-p)^n) doesn't show up at all??

koab1mjr said:

koab1mjr said:
… the problem is that the identity of (1/2)[(p+q)^n + (q-p)^n) doesn't show up at all??

Sorry, I'm not following you at all. :redface:

Hi Tiny Tim

I finally got it. I applied Newton's bionomial expansion to prove the identity. Thank you so much for your help. IT help get me thinking in the right direction. You are the best.

1. What is the definition of "identity for the probability of a coin having an even number of heads"?

Identity for the probability of a coin having an even number of heads refers to the concept that a coin has an equal chance of landing on either heads or tails when tossed, regardless of previous outcomes or the number of times it has been tossed.

2. How is the probability of a coin having an even number of heads calculated?

The probability of a coin having an even number of heads is calculated by dividing the number of possible outcomes (in this case, 2) by the total number of outcomes (2 raised to the power of the number of tosses).

3. Is the identity for the probability of a coin having an even number of heads affected by the number of tosses?

No, the identity is not affected by the number of tosses. Each toss of the coin has an independent probability of landing on heads or tails, regardless of the number of previous tosses.

4. How does the identity for the probability of a coin having an even number of heads apply to real-life situations?

In real-life situations, the identity for the probability of a coin having an even number of heads applies to any scenario where there are two equally likely outcomes, such as flipping a coin, rolling a die, or choosing between two options.

5. Can the identity for the probability of a coin having an even number of heads be applied to other objects or events besides coins?

Yes, the identity for the probability of a coin having an even number of heads can be applied to any event or object with two equally likely outcomes. However, it is important to note that it may not accurately represent all real-life situations, as there may be other factors at play that can affect the probability of certain outcomes.