1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identity for the probability of a coin having an even number of heads

1. Nov 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given that n independent tosses having probability of p of coming up heads are made, show that an even number of heads results is 0.5(1+(q-p)^n) where q is 1-p, by proving the identity
    Sigma from i=0 to n/2 of (n choose 2i) (p^2i)(q^(n-2i))=0.5(((p+q)^n)+(q-p)^n)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I expanded it, (n choose 0)p^0 q^n + (n choose 2)p^2 q^(n-2)+....letting i=n/2 we get (n choose n)p^n q (n-n) ends up being just p^n.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi koab1mjr! :smile:

(have a sigma: ∑ and try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)
    Hint: start at the end …

what is the coefficient of pjqn-j of 0.5(((p+q)n)+(q-p)n) for j even? and for j odd? :wink:

4. Nov 22, 2009 #3
    thanks, but...
    I tried it, but i am still not getting it, because starting from the end for even, i got p^2q^(n-2), p^4q^(n-4) and so on, plus i cannot get the factorials to work out....

5. Nov 23, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(just got up :zzz: …)
    (please use the X2 tag just above the Reply box)

p2qn-2 time what? p4qn-4 times what? … p2jqn-2j times what?

6. Nov 23, 2009 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Couldn't resist: The probability of a coin having an even number of heads should be zero.:smile:

7. Nov 24, 2009 #6
    timing each one by (n choose 2), (n choose 4), and so on until i hits n/2, and at that point all becomes just p^n
    ???

8. Nov 25, 2009 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi koab1mjr! :smile
    (you can write that nC2 etc :wink:)

Yup! :smile:

And that's exactly the left-hand-side of the original identity, isn't it? :wink:

9. Nov 25, 2009 #8
    yeah, when you plug in i=n/2 on the he left side you get p^n, but when you expand the right side and at the end you do the exact same thing, but the problem is that the identity of (1/2)[(p+q)^n + (q-p)^n) doesnt show up at all??

10. Nov 25, 2009 #9

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry, I'm not following you at all. :redface:

11. Nov 25, 2009 #10
    Hi Tiny Tim

I finally got it. I applied newton's bionomial expansion to prove the identity. Thank you so much for your help. IT help get me thinking in the right direction. You are the best.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook